Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryborough Cork

Options
  • 05-05-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Has anyone gotten married or been a guest in the Maryborough in Douglas?

I've read alot of good reviews but want to know anything negative you noticed? What's the residents bar like?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Shot a wedding there once. Lovely venue, nice staff, great food, savage bridal suite. So many great spots for photos inside and out. The Orangery is stunning for a ceremony or reception. Only negative I noticed was that a lot of guests drifted towards away from the reception to the common hotel bar/restaurant area. That can happen in a lot of venues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Never at a wedding there but the spa bed rooms are excellent and the food is good, worth booking into one of them to try out, think they only have 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Ate there end of last year and food not great, never find the food to be good tbh. Bathrooms shabby and general wear and tear around the hotel would make a difference to me. Orangery is lovely if that’s your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I got married there (6 years ago before they did the Orangery) and also had a big (wedding sized) Christmas party there about 2 years ago. It was fab both things. Food was lovely, the staff are great to deal with, the wedding went without a hitch. Our photos inside and outside were amazing as well. The orangery was decorated beautifully for Christmas as well. It would be lovely for a civil ceremony/reception drinks for a December wedding.

The only issue was with the residents bar actually. Anyone who wasn’t staying there couldn’t get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aisling0987

Thanks for all the replies!

bee06 - were you using the hotel bar as the residents bar or did they let you stay in the ballroom for it? Were they checking for room keys on entry? So did alot of your guests just have to abruptly leave when the music stopped? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks for all the replies!

bee06 - were you using the hotel bar as the residents bar or did they let you stay in the ballroom for it? Were they checking for room keys on entry? So did alot of your guests just have to abruptly leave when the music stopped? Thanks!

The hotel bar for the residents. I can’t remember how they were checking but a lot of my guests hadn’t stayed over so couldn’t get in. Everyone was able to stay in the ballroom after the music finished but they weren’t serving from the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

Have played there many many times and been a guest at a wedding there too last year. The orangery is lovely for the ceremony and drinks reception (it is loud for the drinks reception though!). I don't understand the post about the bathrooms being shabby, it's always been very well kept when I've been there. Have always enjoyed the food there, the canapés are fun and we had an excellent meal at the wedding.
    The bar being near the dancefloor is brilliant, it keeps people from drifting into another part of the hotel which can happen in other venues. We weren't staying at the hotel so left before it was completely over so not sure about residents bar.
    The late night food wasn't very late, I wasn't really hungry enough for fish and chips or sandwiches/cake by 11pm or whatever time it came out, but I'm not sure if that's the hotel's choice, and perhaps not something provided as standard so doesn't even need thinking about, but just one thing I observed - that could definitely have been later ;)

Advertisement