Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The curse of NEIPA

• 19-04-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭

I'm all for choice and variety.
    I don't like NEIPA as a style, generally, but, as lots of people do, I'm happy to see these beers available.

So, what am I giving out about?

Last night I opened two beers I hadn't had previously.
    Mountain standard IPA from Odell's.
    Body Riddle session pale ale from Whiplash.

Neither of these beers used the terms : New England, East Coast, Hazey, Juicy etc, but both beers were hazey and lacking in bitterness and body. To my taste, these were both poor beers, lacking in balance.

I've been a big fan of Odell's for a long time and I've previously had some outstanding Whiplash beers.

Perhaps, to others, these are well made beers, but surely the style should be made clear on the can, so that I can avoid a style I don't enjoy while other's can enjoy it.

The popularity of the style seems to be creeping into many, many new beers labelled as IPA/pale ale . How am I supposed to know what I am getting?
    I can't think of any older beer that has changed to fit in with this popular trend but, I suspect, that's only a matter of time.

I've always enjoyed dry hopped beers but now the mention of dry hopping seems to indicate that there are no bittering hops in the beer.

I accept that East Coast is just not to my taste - I have tasted some that I can recognise as well made beer but I can't help feeling that the popularity of this style is bringing with it a plethora of really sh1te beers hiding under a fog of dry hopping.

I want hoppy, malty, bitter, balanced beer but when it comes to new beers, I'm at a loss as to how to predict what might be in a can of so-called IPA.

Is anyone else struggling?

PS. Lactose in beer can (for the most part) fcuk off.

PPS
    Don't get me started on chocolate, marshmallow, cookie dough, maple syrup, coffee, cake, butterscotch and M&Ms in stout!
    But they usually tell you on the label, so despite my protestations, these don't really bother me.

Big fan of fruited sour beers, so I'm not just an old traditionalist.
    I like unfiltered lager and weissbier, so I don't expect all beer to have clarity.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Neither of these beers used the terms : New England, East Coast, Hazey, Juicy etc
    Mountain Standard says juicy on the can. It doesn't say New England because it's an attempt at creating "Mountain Style" IPA, ie NEIPA brewed in Colorado.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Mountain Standard says juicy on the can. It doesn't say New England because it's an attempt at creating "Mountain Style" IPA, ie NEIPA brewed in Colorado.

Beware of the small print, hu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I'm all for choice and variety.
    I don't like NEIPA as a style, generally, but, as lots of people do, I'm happy to see these beers available.

So, what am I giving out about?

Last night I opened two beers I hadn't had previously.
    Mountain standard IPA from Odell's.
    Body Riddle session pale ale from Whiplash.

Neither of these beers used the terms : New England, East Coast, Hazey, Juicy etc, but both beers were hazey and lacking in bitterness and body. To my taste, these were both poor beers, lacking in balance.

I've been a big fan of Odell's for a long time and I've previously had some outstanding Whiplash beers.

Perhaps, to others, these are well made beers, but surely the style should be made clear on the can, so that I can avoid a style I don't enjoy while other's can enjoy it.

The popularity of the style seems to be creeping into many, many new beers labelled as IPA/pale ale . How am I supposed to know what I am getting?
    I can't think of any older beer that has changed to fit in with this popular trend but, I suspect, that's only a matter of time.

I've always enjoyed dry hopped beers but now the mention of dry hopping seems to indicate that there are no bittering hops in the beer.

I accept that East Coast is just not to my taste - I have tasted some that I can recognise as well made beer but I can't help feeling that the popularity of this style is bringing with it a plethora of really sh1te beers hiding under a fog of dry hopping.

I want hoppy, malty, bitter, balanced beer but when it comes to new beers, I'm at a loss as to how to predict what might be in a can of so-called IPA.

Is anyone else struggling?

PS. Lactose in beer can (for the most part) fcuk off.

PPS
    Don't get me started on chocolate, marshmallow, cookie dough, maple syrup, coffee, cake, butterscotch and M&Ms in stout!
    But they usually tell you on the label, so despite my protestations, these don't really bother me.

Big fan of fruited sour beers, so I'm not just an old traditionalist.
    I like unfiltered lager and weissbier, so I don't expect all beer to have clarity.

I think with regards pale ales and IPA's currently, the dial has shifted to the point where unless otherwise stated, expect New England style. Clean, well-balanced IPA's are the outlier at the moment, it's almost a novelty to come across a newly released IPA that fits the classic West Coast mould.

It's a bit of a coin toss when buying modern IPA, I do really enjoy them when they hit the sweet spot but too often that yeast bite just overpowers the initial burst of fresh hops. The lack of bitterness or balance doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as that.

Another travesty of a poorly described so-called IPA last night from a brewery that I like.
    White Hag Dough Bros collaboration New World IPA.

I've always enjoyed the grapefruity New World hop varieties. Since when does New World mean NEIPA?

I think to save me and everyone else from my moaning, I'm going to have to stop experimenting with new IPAs and just stick with what I know.
    Seems a shame to end decades of enjoying trying new beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I got stung a few times in the pub when I ordered what I thought was an IPA only to find it had lactose in it. I now ask to see the can/bottle to check the ingredients before they open it. I'll be skeptical if there are oats added too but will usually give them a go. As RasTa suggests, I'll sometimes use Untappd and see if there's a decent amount of IBUs too.

Lineman - Zephyr sounds like it'd be right up your street, OP. Ordered some of it this morning myself. https://craftcentral.ie/collections/limited-edition/products/lineman-zephyr-west-coast-ipa-440ml-can-6-abv

Right, should get on better with this lot :

3 cans Black Bucket
    3 cans Scraggy Bay
    Bottle or Orval

A Tilquin and a Cantillion oude Gueuze for the cellar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

These days the old school piney resinous bitter IPAs seem to be the exception rather than the rule and are explicitly labelled as West Coast IPAs to make that clear.

Murkier waters (pun intended) with DIPAs though where unless there's a description of the beer on the can you're a little less sure of what you're getting. Untapped is defo your friend.

Caught out again last night.
    My own fault for 2 reasons.
    1. I should have checked untapped before buying.
    2. It was Whiplash - it seems that their default is for all so-called IPAs to be juicy/hazy/have no bitterness.

Setting sun was the culprit.
    Beautiful can and I fancied a double IPA.

Whiplash made some of the finest beers I've Tasted over the years but I probably won't buy any more as I don't trust their descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

2. It was Whiplash - it seems that their default is for all so-called IPAs to be juicy/hazy/have no bitterness.

Their beers are pretty much variations of a theme, a NEIPA theme. Having said that if NEIPAs are your thing, their beer is very good.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Their beers are pretty much variations of a theme, a NEIPA theme. Having said that if NEIPAs are your thing, their beer is very good.

I remember Whiplash before NE/East Coast.
    Man, could that man make a balanced IPA when he started.
    Is any of the range now a West Coast style IPA?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Caught out again last night.
    My own fault for 2 reasons.
    1. I should have checked untapped before buying.

Setting sun was the culprit.
    Beautiful can and I fancied a double IPA.

Whiplash made some of the finest beers I've Tasted over the years but I probably won't buy any more as I don't trust their descriptions.

Had a very similar experience on Saturday as well, picked up a couple of these expecting a nice traditional DIPA. They were quite nice actually just not what I expected from a DIPA, it helps that I like the neipa style but like you I wish they were advertised as such. I also got a can of Trouble Brewing Speakerbox DIPA which I haven't opened yet, looking on untappd I see its neipa style as well

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I had a can of Of Foam and Fury there yesterday and it was really really good but was definitely a shock to the system compared to the usual array of the Irish NEDIPAs on the market. Should DIPAs have an explicit West Coast/New England label?

. Should DIPAs have an explicit West Coast/New England label?

Of course they should.
    It would benefit all consumers whether they like NEIPAs or not.
    It's pretty basic.

I mean a brewery wouldn't label both lager and unfiltered lager as just "lager", would they.
    They wouldn't label a fruited IPA as just IPA.
    But for some reason most breweries feel no need to differentiate between IPA an NEIPA despite them being totally different styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I noticed Garrett Oliver tweeting about this yesterday
    This is a problem that craft brewers have brought onto themselves. When I started brewing, we had styles, and they meant something. If we invented something new, we gave it a brand new name. Now no one can explain what “IPA” is. Nomenclature is power. We surrendered that power.
    IPA in the modern era was reborn in the US. In the 80s it was an old British style no one really brewed. Then it was a modern American style everyone brewed. Different, but still recognizably IPA. And now IPA is.... nothing. Our fault.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I might be thran and start giving lower Untappd scores if they've not labelled them as NEIPA. :pac:

Advertisement