Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebrew Beer Howto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Hello all. Just ordered my first home brew starter kit. Long time drinker of ales and craft beer. So looking forward to a bit of experiments over the years ahead. I did not want to get ahead of myself so ordered a homebrew.ie starter kit. Fermentation bucket with bottle filler and Tap. Think this might be easier than using a Syphon. Basic question am I best just use the pack ingredients to start off and take it from there..the pack includes sugar. And I was advised to buy carbonation drops as well. Cooper's Amber pale ale will be my first try. Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Basic question am I best just use the pack ingredients to start off and take it from there..the pack includes sugar.
    Yes, if you've got it, use it. There's little point in being overly fussy about kit beers.

Carbonation drops are just an expensive way of buying sugar. Half a teaspoon of ordinary sugar in each bottle will do just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, if you've got it, use it. There's little point in being overly fussy about kit beers.

Carbonation drops are just an expensive way of buying sugar. Half a teaspoon of ordinary sugar in each bottle will do just as well.

Lovely ill start at the most basic and hopefully work myself up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Added the hops to the new England IPA today after 10 days fermenting and it sure does smell lovely. It's down to 1.012 so only needs another few days. I can't wait for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Might be said already but Pallas foods are doing a click & collect service. I would not feel comfortable buying up my usual 12 cartons of apple juice at once these days, or a rake of sugar, it would look like you were hoarding

Juice Press Apple Juice Not From Concent
    Case
    12x1 LT
    €15.19

Don Simon Juice Apple 12x1 LT
    Case
    12x1 LT
    €11.75

Kulana Juice Apple Concentrate Tetra Pac
    Case
    12x1 LT
    €9.84

there is a cheap one called "apple juice" but its an "apple juice drink", i.e. diluted

Caster Sugar 1x25 KG
    Case
    1x25 KG

€21.25

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/

• Advertisement

The 7 days of secondary fermentation is up for the new England IPA so I moved it from 20' in the downstairs toilet to a cooler location in the back utility to condition for 2 weeks. I had a taste and it's going to be nice, there's a lovely hoppy nose to it and it tastes fine, not too bitter. I can't wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

The 7 days of secondary fermentation is up for the new England IPA so I moved it from 20' in the downstairs toilet to a cooler location in the back utility to condition for 2 weeks. I had a taste and it's going to be nice, there's a lovely hoppy nose to it and it tastes fine, not too bitter. I can't wait.....

I'd bottle that now if it was me. Neipa's will loose the hopiness pretty quick. Bottle & carb it & drink it fresh.
    Planning to brew a neipa myself tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

raxy wrote: »
    I'd bottle that now if it was me. Neipa's will loose the hopiness pretty quick. Bottle & carb it & drink it fresh.

I’d have to agree with that, although use your hydrometer to make sure the fermentation is finished.

raxy wrote: »

It's kegged and just needs 2 weeks to clear. There are 4 adults in this house so a keg suits us, don't last long

Try the NEIPA yet? I made a kit myself today but the OG was 1.034 vs a predicted 1.048 so I’ve either lost a bag of slop somewhere along the line or something has went badly wrong.

• Advertisement

Try the NEIPA yet? I made a kit myself today but the OG was 1.034 vs a predicted 1.048 so I’ve either lost a bag of slop somewhere along the line or something has went badly wrong.

I've had a taste, I have it in the fridge, it needs about another week to clear but I'm not that impressed. I didn't get a very active fermentation, activity pretty much stopped after 3 days. I worked out out that it's about 3.5%ABV which is very light for my taste so I'm not that hopeful for it. I won't be making it again

Had another glass and the NEIPA tastes very watery. It's due to be ready Friday which is carbonated in a keg 3 weeks ago, last 2 of those weeks I've had it in the fridge. It's not that nice! It's cloudy, but isn't NEIPA always cloudy? Is it for the drain or is there any hope for this batch?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is it for the drain or is there any hope for this batch?
    That's solely your decision. I'd be inclined to keep it until you need the container it's in for something else and you know that you're definitely not going to drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I've had a taste, I have it in the fridge, it needs about another week to clear but I'm not that impressed. I didn't get a very active fermentation, activity pretty much stopped after 3 days. I worked out out that it's about 3.5%ABV which is very light for my taste so I'm not that hopeful for it. I won't be making it again

Don't expect it to clear completely. A NEIPA should be hazy!

I suspect you didn't get a great start to the yeast growth phase for whatever reason. The lag between pitching the yeast and the fermentation beginning Is a crucial time for the rapid building of the yeast colony, and it's during this phase that much of the flavour profile is created by the yeast producing esters even before the alcohol production starts. So, your colony didn't start well and never recovered and ran out of steam. You're unlikely to be able to do anything to get the NEIPA scents and flavours (some say tropical fruitiness) and complexity back into it at this stage. You have the 3.5% abv, and that's as much as you're gonna get for now. You must be tasting a lot of sweetness in the current brew, as with an abv of 3.5%, there must be quite a bit of sugars left unfermented.

You could use it as a learning exercise and put half of it back into the fermenter, get it up to 18-20C and add some DME/water and yeast nutrient. If you go down that route,first make a yeast starter and really focus on getting that to a stage of high activity over a period of 24-36 hours. Put that into the fermenter along with the 50% and let it rip for a few days, not allowing it to get much over 20C. The new starter will work on the new DME, and when the yeasties have chomped all that, itll snack on the previously unfermented remains. Also look up the Krausening process.

You're not going to end up with a gold medal brew, but you'll be learning something and trying to produce an acceptable result. Use the other half of the original as a light snack brew.

The thing is it doesn't taste sweet at all, it tastes bland and watery

The thing is it doesn't taste sweet at all, it tastes bland and watery

What was the O.G. and the F.G.?

Let's say you were aiming for a final ABV of 6%. You would have put in enough sugars to produce that after fermentation. If you ended up at 3.5%, then 42% of the fermentable sugars were not turned into alcohol. Some will have been consumed by the yeast as it colonised the wort initially. If 40 (+/-)% of your final beer is sugar and it doesn't taste sweet, it begs the question: Where did the rest go?

1.040 and it settled at 1.012
    This is the kit https://www.geterbrewed.ie/neipa-beer-kit/

1.040 and it settled at 1.012
    This is the kit https://www.geterbrewed.ie/neipa-beer-kit/

Ah, OK. The target ABV was 4.38%. Your readings suggest an ABV of 3.68% which is 15% of the target ABV that didn't get turned into alcohol. Your O.G. is marginally lower than their 1.042 advertised, and your F.G is higher than their target, so it might not be fully attenuated.

I'd be inclined to have a chat with GetErBrewed to see if this 'experimental' kit contains enough malt/sugars in the 1st place. I see that the kit currently replaced LME with DME. Mmmmm!

BTW, I think a target ABV of 4.38% is very low for a NEIPA in the 1st place. I see most US brews aim for ABV in the 5-7% range.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ah, OK. The target ABV was 4.38%. Your readings suggest an ABV of 3.68% which is 15% of the target ABV that didn't get turned into alcohol. Your O.G. is marginally lower than their 1.042 advertised, and your F.G is higher than their target, so it might not be fully attenuated.

I'd be inclined to have a chat with GetErBrewed to see if this 'experimental' kit contains enough malt/sugars in the 1st place. I see that the kit currently replaced LME with DME. Mmmmm!

BTW, I think a target ABV of 4.38% is very low for a NEIPA in the 1st place. I see most US brews aim for ABV in the 5-7% range.

That change to DME is probably only very recent as they had social media posts only today that they’re now out of liquid (some sourced but weeks away) and how much to use in comparison (think it said 80% quantity of dry vs 100% quantity of liquid).

That change to DME is probably only very recent as they had social media posts only today that they’re now out of liquid (some sourced but weeks away) and how much to use in comparison (think it said 80% quantity of dry vs 100% quantity of liquid).

Yeah, that DME to LME ratio sounds about right.

• Advertisement

Is there something weird about supplies from get er brewed. I stated a mangrove jacks American IPA on Thursday. Added the yeast at 23' and it's sitting since in the downstairs toilet at a constant 22'. After 65 hours I've no activity on my airlock, not a single bubble.

Never had an issue with them before with anything. I don’t know what fermenter you have but is the lid definitely air tight? I’ve done that before.

Never had an issue with them before with anything. I don’t know what fermenter you have but is the lid definitely air tight? I’ve done that before.

Yes, have double checked. There doesn't seem to be any positive pressure (yet). I'll give it more time, I've another kit here I can rob the yeast from

Yes, have double checked. There doesn't seem to be any positive pressure (yet). I'll give it more time, I've another kit here I can rob the yeast from

The lag time for this yeast has been reported by other lads as very long (over 48h) in many cases, although 60+ hours does seem very long indeed.

Google "M44 US West Coast lag time"

Check the SG and see if the OG has changed at all. After taking SG readings, put the wort into a sterilized plastic bottle. You can then do things with the sample to see if you can kick it into life, by giving it a good oxygenation and/or up the temp by a degree or two. It's easier to monitor that bottle than opening and checking the wort...

I do this quite often after pitching, as it serves as a microcosm of the brew that can be watched more closely. It only costs 150-300 mls of product and you can play with it more easily.

I will say one thing, and I’m by no means good at any of this, but I’ve never managed to make a Mangrove Jacks ‘yellow’ beer that wasn’t terrible.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The lag time for this yeast has been reported by other lads as very long (over 48h) in many cases, although 60+ hours does seem very long indeed.

Google "M44 US West Coast lag time"

Yes, 48hrs+ seems to be the norm for this yeast. I'll hold out a while to see

Yes, 48hrs+ seems to be the norm for this yeast. I'll hold out a while to see

Do the SG measurement in the meantime. If it hasn't changed, it will prove that the yeast hasn't started alcoholising the wort. And then you can watch the sample as posted previously. If the SG hasn't dropped, I'd also give it a stirring both to wake the critters up and oxygenate the wort a bit more.

• Advertisement

Right so only got around to dealing with this early this morning before work. No activity on the airlock after 85 hours. There is a krausen building on top. I took a sample and it's gone from 1.050 to 1.030 so it is fermenting. I just gave it a good stir and left it alone.

Advertisement