Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig Regrets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,026 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Regret not seeing Motorhead, Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Elton John and Paul McCartney when they played shows here. Seeing The Pogues with McGowan is also a big regret of mine. There xmas Olympia shows were mental I've heard

Hoping to see Paul McCartney and Elton John live sometime. Can see Elton John pushing back his 2020 shows to 2021/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Regret not seeing Motorhead, Paul Simon, Tom Petty, Elton John and Paul McCartney when they played shows here. Seeing The Pogues with McGowan is also a big regret of mine. There xmas Olympia shows were mental I've heard

Hoping to see Paul McCartney and Elton John live sometime. Can see Elton John pushing back his 2020 shows to 2021/22.

I saw Motörhead in Dalymount Park and they were incredibly loud, even fir me. My fillings were hurting from the volume of the bass rattling through my body.

It was the line up with Robbo on guitar though. I would have loved to see the original line up.

I did get to meet Lemmy backstage though which was a great experience.

Outside of music

Annoyed I never went and saw Billy Connolly . I think hes sadly retired due to health issues

Still watch the series he done when he toured Ireland. Hard to believe its 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh comedy gigs I always seem to struggle to get tickets for, particularly ones not in large venues like the 3.

Bill Burr in the Ivegah Gardens was one I tried hard to get tickets for, even offering well over the odds on DD, but to no avail. Seen him eventually in the 3 last year so made up for it.

Chris Rock in the Olympia another where tickets were like gold dust.

Oh comedy gigs I always seem to struggle to get tickets for, particularly ones not in large venues like the 3.

Bill Burr in the Ivegah Gardens was one I tried hard to get tickets for, even offering well over the odds on DD, but to no avail. Seen him eventually in the 3 last year so made up for it.

Chris Rock in the Olympia another where tickets were like gold dust.

had fun earlier in the year with comedy gigs

bought a ticket to the Sean Cox fundrasier night in the 3arena (John Bishop, Des Bishop, Tommy Tiernan, Daire O Brien, Michael Mcintyre) through Facebook and turned out to be a scam (appiled for refund but nothing) . Got a ticket on TM in the end (lesson learned from buying tickets 2nd hand) and it was a great night. Who knew what was about to happen a few weeks later :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

At 17, I had the parent-imposed choice of either going to Menswe@r or the Bowie/Morrissey double header. I inexplicably chose the former. Worse, it was cancelled. This was late 95.

Where was the Bowie/Morrissey gig on do you remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Effects wrote: »
    I regret never getting to see James Brown.

I had a ticket for the Croke Park gig, and when it was cancelled I got a refund.
    Then in 2011 it clashed with something else, and I thought I'll just see him next time.

There's a good podcast about the politics between the two gigs

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0608/969084-prince-at-the-castle/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Where was the Bowie/Morrissey gig on do you remember?

November 24th 1995 in The Point.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Would like to add ZZ Top to the list, wanted to go in 2017 but couldn't afford it, after Dusty Hill's death, it's unlikely that I'll get a chance to see them now.

Wish I went to see ZZ Top when they played here recently esp after the bad news of the death of Dusty Hill (RIP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was lucky to see ZZ Top at Glasgow Apollo in 1984 when they toured the Eliminator album, it was an amazing gig and they had the red car on guide ropes extended above the balcony where it cruised over the audience like Pink Floyd's bed or aeroplane. I caught their set in Glastonbury on the telly a few years back, man they still had it. RIP Dusty Hill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

my best gig ever. regret not going to cork day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Probably too many regrets to mention but one that really hurts is John Martyn. Loads of chances to see him, never taken up for one reason or another and then it's too late.

Another is Ry Cooder and Nick Lowe, two musical heroes of mine, playing Dublin together maybe 6-7 years ago and not making it for reasons that elude me now. Will I ever get that chance again?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

Yeah, it was a great gig...sorry! I mean S&G was awesome enough but then they bringout the Everlys half-way through to do three or four of their classics. I still pause every now and then and sort of shake my head - still hard to believe!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

I'd have liked to have seen Petty too though I was never a die-hard fan so probably figured there'd be another chance. Think there was a lot of gigs and festivals that year. Prince at Malahide too. Not sure why I didn't go - saw him at the Point and had tickets for Croke so was maybe miffed at the latter not transpiring at the time.

Should've seen Oasis at the Limelight in Belfast in 94 too. Was at uni and knew they were playing but they had passed me by for whatever reason and I didn't get into them until a while after.

Aside from those, I've been lucky enough to tick most of my main music interests off the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

My Dad was in the army and as a 15 year old rock fan, I had tickets for what would now be called an 'intimate' gig that Eric Clapton put on for the Irish Army, around St Patrick's day in 1979. The gig was held in Collins Barracks and while my Dad wasn't a Clapton fan, I was just discovering him and was looking forward to going.

Unfortunately, I was away for the previous few days on a scout hostel camp in the Wicklow Mountains and we actually got snowed in. We were held up for an additional two days and I missed the gig.

My now 25 and 18 year old kids even regret that I didn't get to see the gig.

I did however get to see Bowie at The Point in 2003, so... swings and roundabouts. But then again ... I had tickets to The Who and ELO last year and Covid put the mockers on both.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Prince and Elliott Smith.

I had a ticket for Jeff Beck in vicar street in 2009, but health issues stopped me going, gig got a funny review on the independent , can’t post a link as I don’t have enough posts, been to many great gigs over the years thankfully,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tom Waits in the Rat Cellar Dublin, had tickets too but got called away for a business trip abroad two days before the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭passatman86

Post malone 1st irish gig because I would have liked to see him perform his first few hits

I remember seeing his first youtube song and it didnt even have 100k views.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭corm500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭fafy

Not that many regrets, but one definie one i missed out on, was Bruce Springsteen, when he played the Point solo, for the Devils & Dust tour 2005.

Its ultra rare to see him do a solo gig, in fact i think it's the only time he’s ever done a totally solo tour, so should have been there. Seen him a good few times, indoors and outdoors. He played 9 tracks from D &D, a totally one off gig, and two from “Nebraska”, big mistake missing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Main regret is not going to Tortoise with Stereolab in the Olympia in 1996. It was the night before the Leaving Cert mock exams started, so decided to give it a miss. Have regretted it ever since.

It was out of my hands, but dEUS, Mercury Rev and Pavement did a tour together in 1995. My 3 favourite bands at the time. The Dublin gig, in the Tivoli, was cancelled. Still annoyed about that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not going to see Prince in Malahide. What was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Prince in Malahide too, I couldn't get anyone to go with me. I look back now and think why didn't I just bite the bullet and go on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭corm500

Prince in Malahide. It was my Dad's 80th Birthday bash the same night. Still haven't forgiven him 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

biggest regret would have to be Pantera , nearly saw them but they had pulled out due to 911 complications

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i was too young but i wish i saw the smiths and later the pixies in the national stadium

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Missed out on tickets for the upcoming Pixies gig, only started getting back into them recently. Wonder what they're like live at this point?

Advertisement