Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Documentaries/Movies

• 06-05-2020 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for killing time during the lockdown?

I've watched
    - Becoming Warren Buffett
    - Betting on Zero
    - The Big Short

I see a few more on Netflix, any reviews?
    - Too Big to Fail
    - Inside Job
    - Enron: Smartest guys in the room
    - The China Hustle

Obviously there's the blockbusters too, Wolf of Wall St and Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin is one of my favourite books of all time. Well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Mach 3

Forest Gump.

-Took advantage of his competitors wipe out.
    -Great visionary stock picker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Banking on Bitcoin

Dirty Money (few episodes are great)

I'm a sucker for the same types of movies/documentaries and also really enjoy any buffet/munger stuff on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Margin Call is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

thomasm wrote: »
    Margin Call is really good

Brilliant movie probably the best on the 2008 crash

Enron the smartest guys in the room is a great book & documentary

If its still on youtube: Barbaraians at the gate and a great read aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭lucalux

Rogue Trader with Ewan McGregor maybe?

Just from IMDB recommendations of similar I saw this one :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1326220/?ref_=tt_sims_tt Floored, haven't seen it though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

"When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management"

The writing is not great, but the story is. The perfect example of how dangerous relying on the maths can be.

I was at SBC at the time and we though the figures mentioned were horrendous (peanuts today of course) and we could not believe how dumb the boys at USB were. Next thing we see is Mathis Cabiallavetta and his team going into the SBC boardroom and by evening we are in a reverse takeover with them!!!

For ages afterwards the standard interview question was to explain the Black–Scholes–Merton model and why it did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Billions on HBO or dvd box sets (5 seasons). Created by Andrew Ross Sorkin. Fictional of course but really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

The bank that almost broke Britain on YouTube about RBS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mach 3 wrote: »
    Forest Gump.

-Took advantage of his competitors wipe out.
    -Great visionary stock picker.

the movie that proves being lucky is far more important than being smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

The Inventor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtDaP18OGfw

It's a crazy story. At the very least watch the correct trailer then watch James Corden's trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBV7HRGM7ns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

The Inventor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtDaP18OGfw

It's a crazy story. At the very least watch the correct trailer then watch James Corden's trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBV7HRGM7ns

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley.

I've watched the documentary, listened to the podcast and read the book. All excellent. She was more interested in inventing a persona and becoming Steve Jobs than making her product work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Book is great, I must watch the documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Both are brilliant. The book describes the protagonist brilliantly but seeing and hearing the characters in real life is a joy to behold. Knowing already how everything turned out, I got even greater enjoyment out of Holmes spinning what I knew to be yarns in that preposterous voice. Balwani is another great character- he seemed to loom over every sequence in the documentary he was present in with an even great eeriness due to the stories in the book of his bullying.

Book is great, I must watch the documentary.

To be honest the only thing you'll get from the documentary that's not in the book is how ridiculous her voice is and how her eyes are roaring red from trying not to blink.

OP mentioned "Inside Job" aswell which is a great documentary. It's a more detailed account of what happened in "The Big Short". You just won't believe the stuff they got away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ekels wrote: »
    Both are brilliant. The book describes the protagonist brilliantly but seeing and hearing the characters in real life is a joy to behold. Knowing already how everything turned out, I got even greater enjoyment out of Holmes spinning what I knew to be yarns in that preposterous voice. Balwani is another great character- he seemed to loom over every sequence in the documentary he was present in with an even great eeriness due to the stories in the book of his bullying.

Where can I watch it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Watched China Hustle over the weekend, now keen to get rid of BABA and SE

Advertisement