Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Applegirl26

Options
  • 06-05-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Applegirl26

Thanks to all for the questions on my Spotlight and a special thanks to Lambay island for the vote of confidence when selecting me, I can now say I know what its like to stand on the shoulders of giants!!
    I had good fun answering them and in some cases reminiscing before tackling a few of them. I now have the great pleasure of passing the baton over to Applegirl26.

Applegirl26 is a fellow DCM18 Novice.
    Not content without completing 1 marathon she quickly signed up for Manchester in April 2019 where she set a new PB despite having to rest up for the whole month of March with injury. Along the way she recorded a new 10 mile PB in Trim while putting everyone on Strava to shame with regular 5 am starts to training runs.

Applegirl26 always runs with a smile on her face so much so that she was one of the poster girls for the 2019 Women's Mini Marathon! She write's a great log (Everything's easy when you know how) and I'd encourage anyone to read her emotional epic report of DCM18 which won A/R race report of the year. She is also one of our hero's without a cape working as a front line Nurse while also being a mum to 5 boys (I'm exhausted writing that!)

So L, to start the ball rolling.......

1. What inspires/motivates you to run?

2. If you could do a Quantum Leap on it, who would you become for a day and why?

3. Why did you take up running?

4. What are you most looking forward to doing post Covid 19?

5. What single incident got you into the most trouble with your parents when you were a teenager?

6. Why did you go vegetarian and do you ever miss meat?

7. What's your favourite training session?

8. What cheesey song is your guilty pleasure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hi J, thank you for a great thread. I really enjoyed reading your answers. I never ever thought I'd have my own spotlight here. I'm quite humbled :o You had so many amazing people to choose from so thank you. I knew you'd have great questions, I hope the answers do them justice.

1. What inspires/motivates you to run?

I'm inspired to run because of how it makes me feel. It's as simple as that to be honest. Even a bad run is still a good run if that makes sense. That whole feeling of being free, feeling alive, the adrenaline rush, all of it is addictive. When I danced in my younger years I would have enjoyed a similar feeling from dancing but to a much lesser degree. Anyone who follows my log will be aware that running also makes me feel close to my Dad who died a long time ago now. When I run it's like that gaping raw hole in my chest that grief made, closes and for a short while I can almost convince myself that he's still with me. That feeling alone will keep me running until I'm old and grey.
    Sometimes I'm not very motivated, for a bunch of reasons, but I guess that's where discipline comes in. I just think about the end result like earning a PB in a race, and ask myself how bad do I want it? It's not going to come for free.

2. If you could do a Quantum Leap on it, who would you become for a day and why?

Oh great question and I had to give this one the most thought. There was a few contenders but my love for this artist won out. I would love to be Enya for the day. She has the perfect lifestyle. She is world famous but you never see her doing interviews or promoting herself. She is so successful but also very private. I picture her floating around her castle in long velvety dresses with floaty sleeves, making her beautiful music as she drifts from the piano to her beautifully kept gardens for inspiration.
    I could definitely be Enya for a day….:p

3. Why did you take up running?

For the longest time I wanted to take it up. Like for years and years I longed to get out there. I would read books on running and look at all the lovely running clothes. I'd do everything except actually go out for a run. I just couldn't do it. I'd spend two hours on the crosstrainer at the gym wishing I was out on the roads. One day I went to the PP for a walk. A runner passed me and I looked at them wishing I was athletic like them. I'm still not sure why it was that day but I just got this urge to start running on the spot right there. I'm sure I looked so out of place but I was doing it, finally. And when I started I didn't want to stop. It felt so darn good. My lungs and my throat were burning but I ran about 3k that day before I stopped for a breather. After that day I knew I was a runner.

4. What are you most looking forward to doing post Covid 19?

Oh without a doubt that would be visiting my family. Aside from that, just seeing life go back to normal for my family and friends will be great. My husband and I have promised ourselves a kid free weekend away :cool: soon as we can safely get a sitter again so I'll definitely look forward to that.

5. What single incident got you into the most trouble with your parents when you were a teenager?

Great question!
    Ok I'm gonna sound really pathetic when I tell you this story cos I was a really good kid and it wasn't really trouble but it's the only time I can think of and I got in SO much trouble so… :( I was 13 and had a newish best friend. I went to six different schools growing up and making friends wasn't easy, especially at 13. One time I was out with my friend and some boys started talking to us. We agreed to see them again but my Mom found out and flipped. She riled my Dad up so he got angry too though he did apologize after to me. My Mom said my friend was a bad influence and I wasn't allowed see her again. I was made take my Madonna posters down as she was also a bad influence, apparently :rolleyes::rolleyes: . I hadn't done anything wrong and I can still remember how angry and frustrated I felt. My mom made such a show of me that day in front of everyone I never risked pi$$ing her off again :mad: My Dad did get my Mom to relent and let me see my friend again after a while.
    My siblings had a different set of rules and it drove me crazy. So that was it, my parents lost it when they found out I had a conversation with a boy. I utterly hated my teenage years. No autonomy over your own life, no money, no options, no where to go.

6. Why did you go vegetarian and do you ever miss meat?

I stopped eating meat when I was 14. I have never missed it. It just felt wrong to eat it and over the years I have forgotten what it tastes like. My Mom went crazy at the time but my Dad was cool and quietly brought me home books and recipes so I could learn how to eat a vegetarian diet and stay healthy.
    Sometimes I wish I could eat meat as it's not very sociable to be veggie. Everyone offers you meat.

7. What's your favourite training session?

A few months ago I would have said the long run but now I am enjoying the tempo runs and even the fartlek runs. I love comparing a run I did today with the same run I did a month ago and feeling even a teeny bit faster or at least fitter. I started this current training session determined to have a positive attitude. No more moaning! :)

8. What cheesey song is your guilty pleasure?

Have you seen my Spotify?! My husband reckons it's all "80s muck". :rolleyes:
    I love all sorts of music but I guess the 80s stuff would come under cheesey right? So hard to pick just one. At a push I would say Rick Astley "Never gonna give you up" but I love it. It describes how love should be :D

Thanks for the questions J ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

1. How did you hear about boards.ie?
    2. Best running smiling moment?
    3. Your key advice for running newbies?
    4. How do you keep track of your 5 boys? :pac:
    5. Your race start line mindset is..?
    6. 80s thing that should/should not come back?
    7. Best/worst modern piece of tech/gadget?
    8. First app/website you check each day?
    9. Something people are obsessed about, but you just don't get?

Hi TBO, great questions.

1. How did you hear about boards.ie?

I Google everything :) I had just started running and had a ton of questions. I started googling running related stuff within Ireland and boards popped up. Each time I googled another query I had, it kept bringing me back to boards.ie so I began to check out the site.

2. Best running smiling moment?

….. probably when I was running towards the finish line with my Irish flag in Manchester. I knew my guys were watching me on YouTube and they'd spot me with the flag. I was feeling pretty proud of myself, not because of my time but because I had made it to the start line after all, got through the race somehow and this was my victory lap. Plus I was there on my own so that made me feel a little fearless :o

3. Your key advice for running newbies?

Get yourself a good pair of shoes, the rest of what you will need can come in time. If you just want to run and not get involved with the competitive side of racing, that's totally fine. Don't compare your chapter 3 to someone else's chapter 28. You do you and you'll be just fine and don't forget that everything's easy when you know how ;)

4. How do you keep track of your 5 boys?

Everybody is always shocked to hear I have 5 boys :o Honestly I think my job set a good precident for me so I could handle juggling it alll, especially during the baby and toddler years. My husband is great and very hands on with the boys. They are close in age which can be expensive but also a little easier to manage as they have some activities like swimming together. Pre Covid-19 I used to take turns bringing each one out for a "date" every month, just the two of us. They love that. I hope as they grow up they will always want to meet up with me. I try my best to give them individual time as much as I can. Some love to bake with me. Some love me to play PS4 with them. Some of them love to run with me. It's all good. It might seem too much to others but I always wanted a big family and they really are my dream come true.

5. Your race start line mindset is..?

I get a little flustered and overwhelmed at races, especially before they start. I think my race start line mindset doesn't kick in until I'm actually running and I can focus better. I'm usually thinking of my pace and trying to visualize myself getting the time I'd hoped for. I will remember why I picked this race, what am I hoping to achieve here, ok let's go get it. Ain't no one gonna hand it to you.

6. 80s thing that should/should not come back?

I love 80s family shows like Family Ties and the Cosby show. They had good plotlines you could relate to and there was always a moral or a lesson to learn with each show. I'd love to see shows like that return, not even those particular ones but that style of show.
    The rest of the 80s can stay where it is :pac:

7. Best/worst modern piece of tech/gadget?

I love technology! I'm a little obsessed with goggle assistant and use it for everything from turning the radio and even the lights on to telling me what groceries I need when I'm shopping.
    I don't have a worst piece of tech. I'm all for making life easier! :cool:

8. First app/website you check each day?

It's probably FB. The NYRR gang have a group there and I can also get the news of what's happening here and in the US. I'm not on Instagram or Twitter or anything else.

9. Something people are obsessed about, but you just don't get?

Oh there's so many things!!! If I had to pick just one it would be reality TV. Any kind of it, from the X factor type shows to love island. It's bad enough shows like that are on TV but then you have everyone discussing them as well. You can't get away from it. I will never see the attraction.

Thanks TBO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Don't compare your chapter 3 to someone else's chapter 28.

Gosh I love this! I am stealing this :pac:

Delighted you are the next spotlit runner!

1. What's your secret to getting out for a run after / before a long shift?
    2. Favourite pair / brand of runners?
    3. Race result you are most proud of?
    4. Toughest session you've done?
    5. Would you ever join a club?
    6. What other hobbies do you enjoy outside of running?
    7. Any bucket list races (beside NYC :( )

8. When are you giving lessons on how to look good in running photos :pac:

Thanks V.

1. What's your secret to getting out for a run after / before a long shift?

Just do it. When I commit to something (or someone :) ) I give it my all. I really enjoy running even if I don't see the numbers I want to see with my results. Maybe it's because I'm so "bad" at running that pushes me to get out the door to improve…. I'm not sure but if I say I'll go for a run, you can be sure I will.
    A run can be the best thing in the world after a horrible shift where you had to put out the arrest call. I'm checking that all the nursing team are ok afterwards and we do a debrief but no one checks how I am. So it can be very easy to head out for a run. Best self care right there.

2. Favourite pair / brand of runners?

I have super high arches so I need a shoe with cushioning. I love Brooks Glycerin and have a couple of pairs that I rotate. I must confess I also love Brooks because of Desi Linden. She is wicked awesome.

3. Race result you are most proud of?

I don't think I have any to be honest. My times embarrass me a little if I'm truly honest. I was delighted when I got my PB in Trim last year but I ran with two awesome pacers and I only got that result because of them. But I'm proud of the effort I put into my training. That's my take away from it. My numbers have been the same for two years. It's frustrating but I won't stop.

4. Toughest session you've done?

I found the whole NYC training plan very tough. All of it. The whole thing was on a different scale to anything I'd done before. Now I notice that my easy pace is getting a teeny bit faster. I know it's still very slow but I'm moving in the right direction.

5. Would you ever join a club?

Yes I would like that and I think I should even though it will be stepping completely out of my comfort zone. A kind friend got me added to the local WhatsApp running group so I've gotten to "know" the runners before I go down there and have to meet them in person. They are so nice and friendly, I'm almost looking forward to going down there to sign up. Also my son has been begging me for ages to join a running club so I'll do it for him if not myself.

6. What other hobbies do you enjoy outside of running?

I like to play tennis but just for fun. I enjoy the social aspect of it like having a coffee with friends after a game. I like to go for a swim too when I can.
    I love making things. I adore IKEA and am in heaven bringing something home to put together. I have my own toolbox, pink of course :D My husband is usually hovering somewhere over my shoulder "Do you need some help with that?"
    "Nope".
    :cool:

7. Any bucket list races (beside NYC )

Oh there's so many! I'd love to run the MCM, not Manchester but the Marine Corps Marathon. I've always wanted to be in the military…MCM would be wicked. I also have my eye on the BAA distance medley and I won't stop applying until I get a spot. That would be so awesome. Maybe do a race in Philly too...
    My Dad was training for London when he got sick and he never got to run it so I'd like to run that someday for him though I don't know how I'll ever get an entry for it.

8. When are you giving lessons on how to look good in running photos

I have a ton of bad racing photos!! I did some modelling when I was younger and if I see a camera I just have to smile, even if I'm dying inside! Which I usually am…:o

Thanks for the great questions ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

. Don't compare your chapter 3 to someone else's chapter 28.

I'm with V on this, love it!

From your front line perspective, what is the best thing to have come from this pandemic situation?

What one thing would you change about the HSE?
    What one thing would you change about this Forum?

Your log updates are epic, where do you get the time and memory? :eek:

What was your most fun IKEA/DIY build?
    What do your boys think about your running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

I love Brooks Glycerin and have a couple of pairs that I rotate.

My new favourite also. I picked up a few pairs in the Christmas sales and really enjoy running in them. Will definitely be buying more if I see them at a good price.

No questions but a big thank you for your work on the front line. Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

"Don't compare your chapter 3 to someone else's chapter 28"

Love this as well - so true!

Your use of "wicked" is bringing back great J1 memories :)

Some questions:

1. what does "AYF" mean in your training runs?
    2. How are you finding training with a coach?
    3. Lockdown is over, a sitter is arranged and money/time is no object, where would be your dream date destination be for you and your husband?
    4. Favourite take away?
    5. Again, lockdown is over, time and money is no object, where would your dream holiday destination be?
    6. We share a similar dislike for the shorter distances, but could you ever see yourself doing a 5k or 10k training block?

You frequently refer to yourself as slow. I know it's frustrating given how hard you train, but you really are an inspiration to so many, so try not to get disheartened.

I'm with V on this, love it!

From your front line perspective, what is the best thing to have come from this pandemic situation?

Your log updates are epic, where do you get the time and memory? :eek:

What do your boys think about your running?

Hi shotgunmcos, thanks for your questions. I had to have a good think there!

I've been very impressed with the measures put in place by the Irish government to deal with Covid-19 such as setting up the field hospital in City West and prioritizing the ICU departments. They acted pretty fast too. But the other side of that is all the elective work is still canceled. What's elective and put off this week can become urgent next week and after that it becomes an emergency you don't want. The hospital I work in has seen a huge reduction in the number of kids being diagnosed in the oncology service. Those kids haven't gone away, they're still out there today just undiagnosed. I guess to answer your question, I think it's wonderful that we avoided overwhelming the health service but it came with a cost and we haven't begun to see that cost yet.
    From a different perspective I think it's just amazing how the earth began to heal herself so quickly, once everyone stepped indoors. It's a pity she had to start screaming before people would notice though. I love seeing videos of the beautiful animals reclaiming the streets and how you can see fish again in the canals across Europe. That's awesome.

I can only speak of my own acute area where I work. I would give a bigger voice to the bedside nurses. I would welcome their input more on ideas like the new children's hospital, than it is. The new grads aren't paid enough for the responsibility they have. We have kids on wards that would have been in ICU ten years ago. I would also love to install a clocking in/clocking out system like in the States. They'd never do it here. The hospitals would owe the nurses a fortune in time spent staying back to chart or handover or just because their buddies on the next shift were down and you wanted to help them get settled before you went home.

Honestly, nothing. I think it works just fine as it is. There's been a couple of trolls around lately but you just ignore.

Your log updates are epic, where do you get the time and memory?

Are they? Oh gosh thanks! :) I don't really have the time tbh. I usually update every two weeks or so. I keep a journal so I cut and paste the running stuff out to my log. I've always liked writing down my thoughts. It helps me process, especially if I feel under pressure about something. It's funny but I think I have a terrible memory at times. I can forget a person's name or face but other little details are imprinted forever :o

Ah IKEA, my little oasis of DIY bliss. Get there super early on a midweek morning and you've got the place to yourself, for a while anyway. The most enjoyable thing to make is probably something small and manageable like a desk or night stand. The bigger stuff is harder only cos it's heavy and I usually need to ask for help to carry it which kills me. I would have enjoyed putting the wooden swing set together but I couldn't manage it on my own. First time I put together a chest of drawers I was thrilled with myself. I finally got it finished and started to screw it to the wall for safety. I couldn't see how it was done. Took me about a half hour to work it out. I had to go back and dismantle half the unit so I could screw it to the wall, then rebuild it again. Agh! Lesson learnt though. I never made that mistake again.

What do your boys think about your running

They tell me they're proud of me. They do drawings of me winning first place :D :pac: I talk to them about it and let them know if I've a race coming up. They would sometimes ask why I run so much and I just tell them it's so I can get better at it. They are still young so a lot of it goes over their heads. Sometimes they ask to run with me.
    One day my 4th little guy said "Momma I feel like I need to run".
    I said "Baby, I know just how you feel".
    Right there we went outside and he did two laps of the green outside our house. One of my oldest boys loves to run as well. He especially loves parkrun and would do one every week if he could. He's always asking to do a race with me. That's something I will look forward to when he's a little older :)

Thanks for the questions, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Forgot to include this earlier, quite a good resource for that IKEA habit: https://www.ikeahackers.net/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, the Marine Corps Marathon interests me, might see you there some day.

Any place you're fond of for peace and quiet, library, etc?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    "Don't compare your chapter 3 to someone else's chapter 28"

Love this as well - so true!

Your use of "wicked" is bringing back great J1 memories :)

Some questions:

3. Lockdown is over, a sitter is arranged and money/time is no object, where would be your dream date destination be for you and your husband?
    4. Favourite take away?
    5. Again, lockdown is over, time and money is no object, where would your dream holiday destination be?
    6. We share a similar dislike for the shorter distances, but could you ever see yourself doing a 5k or 10k training block?

You frequently refer to yourself as slow. I know it's frustrating given how hard you train, but you really are an inspiration to so many, so try not to get disheartened.

Your use of "wicked" is bringing back great J1 memories

Ah the J1 students. I remember well the huge influx of them arriving from the end of May each year. I used to love watching them play in the local parks with their hurls/hurleys :confused: (I'm sure I've said that wrong:o) they'd start to play and I'd be drawn to watch them, just like the older generations would and possibly a few cops. Carefree days. Wicked :cool:

Some questions:

It means as you feel. This run is supposed to remind me why I love to run. I set the pace, I choose the route. I'm supposed to pick somewhere I love to run. The only request is that it's easy or comfortable. I can't tell you how welcoming this run was each week when I was struggling through the NYC plan.

It's more a coaching team but I actually love that. I get different perspectives though the advice is always consistent. My family suggested it last year after I got injured. They said "if you're serious about running which you seem to be, then go get a coach and do it properly. Mind yourself". So I did. The online interaction suits me perfectly. The NYRR team are incredible. They are going to train me for DCM too. I know the race probably won't go ahead but I might just do the training to work on my endurance.

Before it closed my husband used to take me to the Four Seasons Hotel in town for our wedding anniversary each year. That was something we both loved. We'd stay over and forget the whole world outside.

4. Favourite take away?

As long as it's hot and I didn't make it I'm happy. If we're ordering Chinese or Indian I usually just get rice and a side order of a sauce with it :o

Probably Orlando. It's the typical answer but such a great place.

Edit: I've been thinking about this answer. I never went to Australia and the older I get the more unlikely it is to happen. So without wearing my parent hat I'd say Australia is somewhere I'd love to visit, particularly Sydney :)

Would you believe I would! In fact I think it could be good for me. I couldn't be dealing with those sessions that look like math equations though :( . Give me straight forward instructions in simple English and I'm all set!

You frequently refer to yourself as slow. I know it's frustrating given how hard you train, but you really are an inspiration to so many, so try not to get disheartened

Thanks E. That's very kind.

Thanks for the great questions, ;)

Oh, the Marine Corps Marathon interests me, might see you there some day.

Any place you're fond of for peace and quiet, library, etc?

Sounds good! You gotta have a dream to make a dream come true ;)

I adore libraries. So peaceful and calming and surrounded by books. What more could you want? Sitting in a nice quiet coffee house is bliss too.
    I love visiting the Botanic Gardens or having a picnic up at the Hellfire club while looking over those amazing views of Dublin. All of that helps me feel grounded.
    I've learnt over the years to take my peace and quiet where I can get it. I work half my shifts at night as I love the quietness that nights bring. I'm still on my feet all night and I'm still busy but the phone rings a lot less and there's less people around to deal with. I can get on with my work quietly :o

Thanks TBO, ;)

Any nursing slang/lingo we should know?
    If the Olympics were on what would you be watching?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

1. You win the lotto jackpot 4million. Whats the first 3 things you buy?

2. How are you all coping with homeschooling?

3.Favourite food?

4. Favourite drink?

5. The one finish time you'd love to see on a clock for yourself?

Any nursing slang/lingo we should know?
    If the Olympics were on what would you be watching?

Nursing slang? Gosh, well we have a code brown that would translate well to the running world….:pac:

I just love the Olympics and would book time off work to watch it. The sports I'd be passionate about would be swimming (Michael Phelps is such a Terminator in the pool!), Take Kwon Do (even though it's WTF and not ITF:(), the athletics of course and the gymnastics. You know what, all of it is brilliant and worth watching. Seeing these amazing athletes who have spent years working hard and are so focused on their dream to win. It's awesome.
    I prefer the Winter Olympics though. The snow boarding and skeleton (holy cr@p :eek:) is something I could watch all day and the ice skating, sure that's just ballet on skates… :cool:

Thanks for another great question ;)

Sorry I didn't mean to post that reply twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Happy to see you in the spotlight!

1. Where did your username come from?
    2. What has been your toughest moment you've experienced in your job.
    3. If you had chosen a different career path what would it be.
    4. Crisps or chocolate and what brand?
    5. Post race treat?
    6. Do you drink? If so what's your favourite tipple?
    7. Favourite Florida theme park? (mine was Bush Gardens).
    8. Favourite log (excluding mine of course) on Boards?
    9. Boards runner that you relate most to?
    10. Any females in particular that you look up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Loving reading your answers so far L! Great thread.

My brain is drawing a blank for any running related questions that haven't been asked already so here's a few random ones instead:

1. What was your favourite subject in school?
    2. Coffee or tea?
    3. Favourite coffee/tea accompanying snack? :)
    4. Five kids and a very demanding job - I imagine you must be the most patient and organised person ever. Are you?
    5. You have an evening/night free and you're meeting up with friends (no lockdown) - favourite way to spend it?
    6. If you could be any age again, what would you pick and why?

3.Favourite food?

4. Favourite drink?

I'd rent an amazing RV and take us on a road trip across Route 66. My guys would love that. We should have shares in the Cars movie franchise at this stage!:pac:

I'd go see Australia. I think travel is the best education you can get.

Ok I'm going to sound a bit boring but I'd put a big lump sum into each of my kids bank accounts. I'm a saver and knowing that security was there for my babies when they're grown up would feel a million times better than any shopping spree.
    There probably wouldn't be much left after that!

It has been very stressful. Google classroom for five individuals using one laptop. They were lined up like soldiers waiting to take their turn.

It.goes.on.all.day. all.freakin.day. :mad:

The boys seem to have constant essay's and projects to submit online which end up becoming our essay's and projects as we help them go online and look up what they need. I don't like the boys having too much screen time. They don't have phones or tablets. They each have a PS4 and that's it. You gotta give them something right and this way I know what they're looking at and who they're talking to. So we had to buy another laptop during the week to help them access Google classroom. It's still taking the whole day. My husband spoke with the school (to back off!) and they were nice but the expectation is still there that the work gets done. Honestly they don't seem to have a clue the pressure they're putting on homes like ours.

One of my little sonshines has a sna at school and when we work with him at home, it can take a while. His work has to be done one on one. I have muted all the class parent WhatsApp groups on my phone. If I could mute Google classroom I would. If you don't log in for a couple of days (yes I tried ) the school "check in" to see what's up.. These are little kids, not high school students heading into college. Seriously, with all that's going on in the world right now, I have little patience for it.

In my next life I'm coming back as a teacher…. :rolleyes:

3.Favourite food?

I love a big bowl of vegetable stew. Yum yum. Total comfort food.

4. Favourite drink?

It's so unhealthy but I love TK red lemonade. There's nothing as nice as gulping back a big glass of it after a tough run.

I'm not looking for much but it feels like I'm climbing Mount Everest. I'd love to get my HM time down to 2:10:00. It's currently 2:14:00 and has been forever. I'd sell a kidney to get my time down to 1:59:59 :o
    The training I'm doing now is all for next March. I don't care if it's a year away and I don't care if it takes me ten years. I'm going to get that time down.

Thanks for the great questions Hannibal_Smith, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

You’re such a legend L, delighted we’ve crossed (running) paths....keep training and running well!

I’ve no questions...sorry!

Happy to see you in the spotlight!

5. Post race treat?

It's always been the username I've taken for everything since forever. I have it so long I hardly remember exactly why I took it initially. I faintly remember it was because I love the name Apple. The 26 is a special date for me. Soon as I wrote it all down together, I knew that was me :)

Oh, it's hard to name just one… there have been lots of difficult moments over the years. You never forget being present when a parent gets bad news and seeing them break down. Carrying a newborn down to the mortuary…carrying any little child down to the mortuary... performing full resus on a child as their mom is outside the door screaming and their Dad is stood in the room with you asking you if their child will be ok. You don't answer because you can't. (He was ok :o) Having a small baby deteriorate who needs care that can't be given at ward level but ICU are full so you nurse him for 8 hours hooked up to the crash trolley so you're "ready to go" should he stop breathing. You finally get him transferred safely, you rub his tiny hand goodbye, hug his Mom. Your shift is over and you need to hurry to beat the traffic cos you have to bring the boys to school but your heart is racing and you feel a bit sick. You take ten minutes to yourself in a quiet corner before you can drive yourself home.

It really is the best job for putting things in perspective.

I always knew I'd become a pediatric nurse. I can't remember ever wanting to do anything else. But because I love making things I often wondered what it would be like to be a carpenter. It's the only other job I ever considered.

Definitely chocolate. My husband always comes home with a small bar of chocolate for me to take to work that night. One night a parent found my chocolate in the staff fridge and ate it on me. My husband was so upset for me when I told him the next morning! He took it worse than me :pac::pac: I like Cadburys twirls and Hershey's milk duds.

5. Post race treat?

It's usually pizza. I'm pretty tired by the time I get home from the race. My husband orders enough pizza to feed twenty kids. The boys are happy and I didn't have to cook so I'm happy.

Yes I do but I'd be pretty good at just having soda if I'm training. I love a glass of Guinness but I'll only drink it in Ireland. It's horrible anywhere else. If I'm out I usually get a cocktail or a glass of wine.

You know the few times I've visited Orlando I never went to Bush Gardens. I've heard it's amazing. I love Universal Studios and was lucky enough to have caught the Jaws ride and the Back to the Future ride before they were removed. But in my secret heart of hearts I was probably happiest sitting in the teacups in the Magic Kingdom or wandering through Minnie's house….

Ah I couldn't pick! They are all great and I get something from them all. It can be hard to keep up though. I've probably a week's worth of reading to catch up on over there!
    I love when someone shares a great book they read or goes into a little extra detail about their run.

Oh gosh I don't want to offend anyone! I can't think of anyone…. They are all much better runners than me!

I've mentioned her before but I'm a huge fan of Desi Linden. She's so quietly calm and focused. I love Megan Rapinoe also. She's a terrific role model for little girls (and big girls! ) Her refusal to be anything but her true self is wicked awesome and very inspiring. She's an incredible athlete. I LOVED how she stood up to Trump and refused to visit the White House. I'd also love Pink and Gwen Stefani. Madonna was definitely the biggest influence on me though. I love her 00s stuff best. Her fearlessness, her drive, her discipline is like no others, though it's always been her softness and her vulnerability that draws me to her. When she speaks of how harrowing it was to lose her Mom while still a child, she speaks my pain for me and articulates it better than I ever could.

Thanks for the amazing questions Swashbuckler, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah, Applegirl. My Race Report of the Year nemesis. ;)

1. Where did you grow up? Do you miss it?
    2. Where did you study nursing?
    3. You mention your Dad a lot. Did he pass on any important training advice (directly or indirectly)?
    4. Favourite film / director / actor / actress?
    5. Donald Trump - why?
    6. Do you listen to podcasts? Favourites?
    7. The Marathon Talk question - 6 months to train for the mile. No distractions, all the time and coaching and nutrition and facilities you need. How fast?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Really enjoying this thread Applegirl, I'll have to think about some decent questions but in the meantime, where do you get your energy to run so consistently with such a demanding job and 5 :eek: boys?

Also really love your quote:

Don't compare your chapter 3 to someone else's chapter 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks for the amazing questions Swashbuckler,

Thanks for the amazing answers. Really interesting to get a deeper insight into your work. Very tough job and I think most people don't realise just how tough it is. Don't know how you balance everything. 5 kids, that job and running. Pretty amazing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I really like reading your log - your writing style is very immersive.

(1) Were you good at English is school?
    (2) Are you a creative person?
    (3) Worst thing about living in CK
    (4) Best thing about living in CK (.........cant mention the PP)
    (5) Did you feel robbed when your Manchester Marathon report did NOT win the report of the year. (.....u wuz robbed)

In years to come, I hope my 2 girls speak about me in the same way you speak about your dad.

eyrie wrote: »
    Loving reading your answers so far L! Great thread.

My brain is drawing a blank for any running related questions that haven't been asked already so here's a few random ones instead:

2. Coffee or tea?
    3. Favourite coffee/tea accompanying snack? :)
    4. Five kids and a very demanding job - I imagine you must be the most patient and organised person ever. Are you?
    5. You have an evening/night free and you're meeting up with friends (no lockdown) - favourite way to spend it?

Thanks so much,

I loved English and would get straight As in it. A+ even sometimes. I can still remember how good it felt getting that grade. One day I got a test back and I'd been given a B+. I went to my teacher so upset, asking where I'd gone wrong. She reassured me I had done really well but all I could focus on was the marks I had lost.

I love poetry and would recite my favorite poems to myself over and over as I went to sleep at night :o I can clearly remember the day I discovered The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes. My most favorite poem. I rushed home from school absolutely bursting because I had to share it with someone! I sat my younger sibling down and made them listen to me recite the whole thing! The entire thing… :pac: all of it... :pac::pac:

In college I was always a little envious of the arts students studying English. I couldn't imagine a more perfect world than strolling around campus discussing Wuthering Heights with anyone who loved Heathcliff and Cathy Earnshaw as much as I did.

2. Coffee or tea?

It's got to be coffee. I drink way more than I should.

3. Favourite coffee/tea accompanying snack?

I love fig rolls, so I never buy them! They are so yummy and I can't eat just one. TBH one of the reasons I drink coffee is because I don't feel the need for a snack with it. If I'm drinking tea I always look for something. My husband always has the place full of biccies and now that he's working from home, the kettle seems to be constantly on :rolleyes: Ginger nuts are lovely and if I'm at home, I dunk them.

People who know me have described me as that but honestly most of the time I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants and I'm winging my entire way through this thing called life. I have learnt that panic spreads but if you can keep a cool head, you can get through anything. Not always easy though.

I like to plan. I'm usually working six months ahead like in January I start picking up the school uniforms and from June I start buying small gifts to hide away for Christmas. I like writing things down, setting reminders for myself. I have 3 calendars in the kitchen, each used for different things/family members.

Ok, I can give two answers to this. I'm very much a homebird and only go out for the night with friends a few times a year, like to celebrate someone's birthday. Normally we meet up for something to eat and drinks. It's not a proper night out if we don't make it on to the dancefloor somewhere :cool:

But my favorite way to spend an evening is something like when I stay with my brother and we go to a batting cage. I'm surrounded by guys. It's all I know…

I had the best childhood and was totally happy in my own little universe until I was about 10. I also loved my twenties. On reflection they were both times in my life when I was living in the US. If I had to choose I'd pick my twenties as then I had my husband with me.

Thanks for the brilliant questions, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I've mentioned her before but I'm a huge fan of Desi Linden. She's so quietly calm and focused. I love Megan Rapinoe also. She's a terrific role model for little girls (and big girls! ) Her refusal to be anything but her true self is wicked awesome and very inspiring. She's an incredible athlete. I LOVED how she stood up to Trump and refused to visit the White House. I'd also love Pink and Gwen Stefani. Madonna was definitely the biggest influence on me though. I love her 00s stuff best. Her fearlessness, her drive, her discipline is like no others, though it's always been her softness and her vulnerability that draws me to her. When she speaks of how harrowing it was to lose her Mom while still a child, she speaks my pain for me and articulates it better than I ever could.

I have 3 sisters, no brothers.
    2 daughters - no sons.

I can well relate to the above.

I can remember watching Wonder Woman (the recent one) and thinking (strange as it sounds) that this should be required watching for all young females (for all the reasons you say above).
    Also - there's a Dublin poet called Emmet Kirwan - he has a poem called Heartbreak, its best to watch it on Youtube rather than read it. A real tribute to girl power.

I think I've watched it about a million times and get a lump in the throat each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Wow, this is a great choice for A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT..........here goes.......

1) You've made no secret of your love for 80's music. :) Who is your favorite artist/band/singer from the decade?

2) Can you remember your first ever trip to the cinema? If so, what did you see?

3) Are you good at giving directions to strangers?

4) Have you ever wished you had a different name?
    *I'm not suggesting for a second that there's anything wrong with the one you already have. Just asking!! :D

5) What's worse? Being too hot on a hot day or freezing on a cold day?

6) Have you ever gotten lost while out for a run?

7) Do you collect anything in your spare time?

8) When was the last time you had an opportunity to sit back, drink it all in and say to yourself....."yes....life is good".

9) Your positive nature is infectious but is there anything that makes you really angry?

10) Finally, what is you bank name/sort code/account number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Also - there's a Dublin poet called Emmet Kirwan - he has a poem called Heartbreak, its best to watch it on Youtube rather than read it. A real tribute to girl power.

I think I've watched it about a million times and get a lump in the throat each time.
    100%. It's phenomenal.

Advertisement