Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is your Golf Club extending your membership this year?

• 04-05-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

As per the title.

Is your club extending your membership for the months lost playing?

Or have they introduced some other measure?

Or not at all?

My own club has as of yet mentioned nothing. I'm not against it, I'm hopeful I can pay all my fee's quickly once it reopens.

This is just to get a general idea on what clubs across Ireland are doing as it seemed a big enough topic a week ago or so.

Is your club extending your membership for this year? 58 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    12%
    HogzyTockmanmartinkopCarazyrickis tachekennethrhcpBoldReason 7 votes
    While not extending membership they are doing something else ( Please explain in comments)
    87%
    Corkey123GreeBoKiithBraveDonutyoucancallmealOllieboyStackseyhigsterMushyKeanocozarBottletrigger26bluestripeJCDUBgman127blackboxzzantararonnie3585lester76 51 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We've been given 2 months credit which will be taken off next year's sub.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

If you've continued to pay your subs you'll get pro rata club credit for time lost in October once your membership has been paid in full

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

While not extending membership they are doing something else ( Please explain in comments)
    Very few clubs will be able to do this.

Must clubs have a x amount of income and can reduce cost by a few percent points if required but not by the amount required to write off two months subs.

We are down 30% this year and with all the savings we will still have a hole but this will be covered by canceling capital projects and cash reserves.

In the UK members clubs resorted to crowd funding! Or added levies to members.

We could offer two months free subs but we’ll need to increase subs next year by 30% to cover that cost, so the money is coming from the same pot.

More importantly not one member as request a refund!

If it’s a business and not a members club, then that is different and I would agree with getting credit because they keep profits instead of reducing subs or investing in course.

So I think the questions needs to be better defined?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Very few clubs will be able to do this.

Must clubs have a x amount of income and can reduce cost by a few percent points if required but not by the amount required to write off two months subs.

We are down 30% this year and with all the savings we will still have a hole but this will be covered by canceling capital projects and cash reserves.

In the UK members clubs resorted to crowd funding! Or added levies to members.

We could offer two months free subs but we’ll need to increase subs next year by 30% to cover that cost, so the money is coming from the same pot.

More importantly not one member as request a refund!

If it’s a business and not a members club, then that is different and I would agree with getting credit because they keep profits instead of reducing subs or investing in course.

The money is still staying in the club effect but I'm happy enough with the arrangement being honest. I'll be able to use the credit for competition fees and the like which is money I'd be spending anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I won't hold my breath, Carr Golf don't fill me with confidence in this regard, they love money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I understand what your saying, I'm pretty sure 90% of club members agree most clubs the simple maths doesn't add up.

However I have seen and heard of some clubs doing something along the lines of discounts or extending this years sub to cover an extra two months. Its not a poll to ask if everyone should, it's just to ask if it is being done. I'd like to know more what other kind of things are being done if any just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

We're being credited with whatever amount of months missed. Our club aren't short of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I understand what your saying, I'm pretty sure 90% of club members agree most clubs the simple maths doesn't add up.

However I have seen and heard of some clubs doing something along the lines of discounts or extending this years sub to cover an extra two months. Its not a poll to ask if everyone should, it's just to ask if it is being done. I'd like to know more what other kind of things are being done if any just out of curiosity.

I’ve spoken to a lot of members clubs and clubs that can afford it, will do something but these clubs are at the premium level with higher subs, entrance fees etc. I.e heathy cash reserves and now given some of that back from years of overcharging because they could charge x. I think this is fair as it’s the members money.

By asking the question you are putting the expectation that clubs should do something which 90% of members of clubs would disagree because they understand they are shareholders and stakeholders in the club, so they are just asking for money from themselves.

If clubs now need to build up reserves of cash for the what if, then subs and green fees will need to go up to build this into the cost of golf.

If I was buying membership now in a club, I would be very careful because it does not look good for a lot of clubs. So maybe paying the premium cost would be better value.

Golf is going to be in high demand this summer because people can’t travel to play and lots of people will want to play sports that are low risk.

I expect to see higher membership fees and green fees this year.

I’ve spoken to a lot of members clubs and clubs that can afford it, will do something but these clubs are at the premium level with higher subs, entrance fees etc. I.e heathy cash reserves and now given some of that back from years of overcharging because they could charge x. I think this is fair as it’s the members money.

By asking the question you are putting the expectation that clubs should do something which 90% of members of clubs would disagree because they understand they are shareholders and stakeholders in the club, so they are just asking for money from themselves.

If clubs now need to build up reserves of cash for the what if, then subs and green fees will need to go up to build this into the cost of golf.

If I was buying membership now in a club, I would be very careful because it does not look good for a lot of clubs. So maybe paying the premium cost would be better value.

Golf is going to be in high demand this summer because people can’t travel to play and lots of people will want to play sports that are low risk.

I expect to see higher membership fees and green fees this year.

Hold on there, I'm not putting expectations anywhere.

It's happening whether I ask the question or not. I have no ulterior motive, I'm genuinely curious and like I said the greater percentage of people will understand that some clubs simply cannot do anything except expect money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Stacksey wrote: »
    I won't hold my breath, Carr Golf don't fill me with confidence in this regard, they love money

Im in elmgreen myself and subs for next year are due to go up by a small amount. Cant remember exact figures.

Nothing regarding any credit/extension as of yet and i dont expect anything to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

As per the title.

Is your club extending your membership for the months lost playing?

Or have they introduced some other measure?

Or not at all?

My own club has as of yet mentioned nothing. I'm not against it, I'm hopeful I can pay all my fee's quickly once it reopens.

This is just to get a general idea on what clubs across Ireland are doing as it seemed a big enough topic a week ago or so.

Have you not paid your 2020 subs at this stage?

Have you not paid your 2020 subs at this stage?

I sent the forms in in January when I moved back to the club and rang a few times to get payments started. I was told they would start mid February but nothing has been done as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Stacksey wrote: »

Carr golf also largely rely on green fees to make a few quid. No green fees for quite a while yet!

I would suspect that the subs from members barely covers costs for both of Carrs courses.

If Carr were doing their best to try pay all the lads who work on our course I would be happy with no refund

Judging by the results it seems to confirm what I thought, most golf clubs simply are not able to give up income.

While before this we seemed to be in a better situation as a club sport than the last few years I never got the feeling that golf as a sport was booming. With the constant drive for members by most ( i know there will always be outliers) we were still not at a level we would wish to be. I just hope we don't see too many closures as a result of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

Membership will run to December instead of October. Never paid membership until Jan/feb so not much difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Judging by the results it seems to confirm what I thought, most golf clubs simply are not able to give up income.

While before this we seemed to be in a better situation as a club sport than the last few years I never got the feeling that golf as a sport was booming. With the constant drive for members by most ( i know there will always be outliers) we were still not at a level we would wish to be. I just hope we don't see too many closures as a result of the situation.

I wouldn't read it as necessarily "not able" rather more likely "unwilling".
    Which I 100% agree with.
    Clubs have enough hassle hounding some members who pay months late while continuing to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i'm in a members club & i paid my subs in december for 2020. they must be paid by 31 jan or you cannot play in comps, but i do know they often come to arrangements with members and good chance lots still hadn't paid up in full. the club do push for members who can't pay up in full to go through a fee finance thing where they get paid up in january, and the member pays on the monthly.

im also in a carr club, membership is not on an annual basis, mine is credits based and due for renewal at the end of this month.

i've heard nothing from either club regarding subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

No communication from my club yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Nothing on an extension here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

etxp wrote: »
    No communication from my club yet.

Fairly bad form that some clubs have not even engaged on topic.

Even my local gym - notoriously bad customer relations - were far more proactive on payment options etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Fairly bad form that some clubs have not even engaged on topic.

Even my local gym - notoriously bad customer relations - were far more proactive on payment options etc.

Actually We have had a communication but it just basically said times will be hard etc etc. No talk of membership options etc though!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Nothing has been said in my own place and wouldn't be expecting or looking for anything. They have indicated the bar levy will roll over, normally has to be spent by end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No communication yet but cant see it happening in my club.

We're a members club so we're operating more or less like a non-profit anyway. Means there is no profit-reserve to go to and an actual reserve doesn't exist either. If anything the opposite.

So after a string of tough years financially this will top all of them easily. Can't see us going out either but I don't even want to know how bad it is. The COVID payments for some staff probably help but giving members money back? No chance I'd say and knowing all this I wouldnt even want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Members who have paid in full will receive a pro-rata credit on their GUI card (for membership period 1st April - 18th May).
    Synergy Golf run club.

Advertisement