Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some (?) years ago today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

56? I hope the guy on the stopwatch that day was more accurate at counting ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

spc78 wrote: »
    56? I hope the guy on the stopwatch that day was more accurate at counting ;);)

The way this decade is going I am rewinding the clock haha

(Note to self , morning coffee before boards and add calendar to wish list for my next birthday)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Edited the title for you. I don't think anyone will have noticed.

Surprised that I've not actually seen the whole race like that before, don't think I've even seen that camera angle. All the previous documentary type programs about it and they just show one shot of him overtaking Brasher and then the breaking the tape clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

I hadn't seen the full race either. Some crowd there! Stating the obvious that Chris Chataway did a great job pacing him until the last 300. From Roger's narration of it, it sounded like he was surprised that Chataway took over the pacing but I'm sure that was the plan all along.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

OutTheGap wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the full race either. Some crowd there! Stating the obvious that Chris Chataway did a great job pacing him until the last 300. From Roger's narration of it, it sounded like he was surprised that Chataway took over the pacing but I'm sure that was the plan all along.

I heard that as more of him being in the zone and not registering that the next of them was due to take over as he was just running on autopilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Eh, what's going on lads? I'm 60 and this happened well before I was born...

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Eh, what's going on lads? I'm 60 and this happened well before I was born...

:pac::pac:

Race was in 1954 so I think 66 years was correct the first time!

Fixed it again.

Hey everyone look over there --->>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Nick Symmonds did a sub 4 himself outdoor for the first time towards the end of his pro career. He does a little talk over here.

He loves reminding folk of his nickname - "The Bison"

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Such a well-spoken man was Bannister. Greatest track record of all times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Beautiful recording that I somehow hadn't come across before - many thanks for posting the link. A couple of years ago I happened to be in Oxford for work and paid a quick visit to the Iffley Road track. Lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The gun goes at 0:07, but he doesn't finish until 4:12?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The gun goes at 0:07, but he doesn't finish until 4:12?

Old footage used to be recorded at 18 fps and TV signal these days is 25 fps. They need to convert one into the other and the speed isn't always accurate (for example, old news reels always feel speeded up)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow that form! Beautiful runner. How relaxed he looked at such speed. Oh to be able to detach yourself from the pain like that

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wow that form! Beautiful runner. How relaxed he looked at such speed. Oh to be able to detach yourself from the pain like that

Yeh....listening to the commentary he gave the impression that it was effortless, yet he was dead at the end. I would have liked had he told us when he started feeling the pain come on, and when he was at full tilt...

It really is D ultimate distance and ultimate test of man and running.......not too short, not too far, just right!!!!!

Perfect blend of speed and endurance!

Milers are the greatest...

Advertisement