Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you chip?

• 25-03-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

What loft do you use around the greens.
    Particular opinions about wedge bounce.
    Do you break the wrists?
    If you have a lot of green to use do you still throw it high anyway or do you prefer putting from off the green?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

RoadRunner wrote: »
    What loft do you use around the greens.
    Particular opinions about wedge bounce.
    Do you break the wrists?
    If you have a lot of green to use do you still throw it high anyway or do you prefer putting from off the green?

I think I get my best results from a 58degree mid bounce wedge. I often use a 54 mid and sometimes a 50 mid.
    I break the wrists.
    I tend to favour chipping to putting.
    I often play a higher loft wedge anyway but try to chip it low with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Answering your own questions roadrunner ? :)

For the last year or so I've been using a 3 wood from around the greens where its relatively flat and stroke it like a putt. I'm usually quite consistent with it and it suits me for how little golf I'm playing

Otherwise I'll use one of the gap wedges with a wrist break for more complex shots

Rikand wrote: »
    I've been using a 3 wood from around the greens

:eek: is this because modern putters have so little loft nowadays?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

All depends on the shot:
    Bump n run - 7 iron (a shot that I use a huge amount and am fairly confident playing it now)
    Just off the green - 8 iron
    Far side of a bunker - prayers or a 50 degree wedge!!

I actually rarely use my SW or PW around the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I use my SW for every kind of chip/bunker shot from about 50 yards in. I go between 3 or 4 different stroke setups depending on the shot. I have tried using different lofted clubs with different setups for each every scenario but the results have been varied at best...just seem to have more confidence with my SW and I rarely blade or mi**** one around the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I tend to cycle through my clubs to be honest. Have played Hybrid bumps using a putting technique, a bit like Rikand above, but that would be very rare.

I'd say that I most commonly use a range of clubs from 8i - 58 degree wedge.

I'm generally very comfortable hitting a bump & run. I'd say that generally, I look to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, rather than throw the ball at the hole.

I'll generally only use the 58 if I'm short-sided & have to go over a hazard of some sort. Its too low a percentage shot for me.

The 3 most commonly used clubs for me would be 8i, 50 & 54 wedges depending on the need.

Technique-wise I try to keep it very simple, very minimal wrist action for the vast majority. More of a rock of the arms back & through. Weight about 70%-80% on front foot & ball generally close to middle of my stance. Tend to probably have my feet slightly open. I have two real things I'm trying to make sure I do - 1 brush the grass on my way through the ball & 2 - make sure I accelerate through the ball. Other than that, I'm more focussed on my landing spot, as I find I work best with an external focus point. I don't generate massive amounts of spin, can't play those skip-and-stop chips that I know you have a knack for ;)

Adam Young put a good little test up once to determine whats best for you. Go out and hit 10 chips where you're completely focussed on your technique (internal focus) and 10 where you're completely focussed on landing spot (externally focussed). Measure your performance results & it gives you a reasonable guide on what approach works best for you. Some people need to focus on their technique to deliver things correctly. Some people lock up when they're too focussed on technique so the external point removes that stress on the method.

For pitches, before things came to a crashing halt, I'd been working on trying to be more regimented with my technique. Taking 3 different positions with my back-swing with each of my wedges & trying to get distances for each. Weight about 60% on the front foot, with no real shift of weight like on a full swing. Unfortunately not getting enough time put in to get solid data, but hopefully will get that sorted eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Chipping my Hercules heel!

I have been going well with 9I around the greens rocking motion weight on front foot. I break hinge if it has to travel far.

52 deg wedge if I have obstacles. Just try pick landing spot few practise swings to get feel. and just keep head down till ball is air born.

I cant chip with my 56 deg SW I either blade it or duff it so just use it for bunkers and pitch shots

can't play those skip-and-stop chips that I know you have a knack for ;)

Savage looking every 1 in 10 times they work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭willabur

I use a technique where I keep the handle of the club clear of my left hip and sweep the sole of the club across the grass. I feel I need a slight wrist break in order to feel the shot as if it gets too robotic then I lose all feel for the shot. There is a drill I do where i invert another club and hold them grip to grip. The second club ensures the handle of my wedge does not go past my hip.

Once I get a good feeling for it then I pick my target where I want the ball to land. Focus on it while I take 2 or 3 quick swings and then I pull the trigger.

I play 90% of the shots with a 56 degree vokey with 8 degree bounce, I feel I can open it and close it as much as I need for anything withing 60 yards. Depending on the shot I need to hit I will have the ball further forward in my stance the more I need to get it airborne. I want to keep the ball as low as possible though

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Lads, I hadn't started into my golf for this year yet (would be about now), but reading this stuff I just want to get out and play....! More quarantine needed I suppose :) (seriously keep the chat going - might keep us sane).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Generally ball is quite a bit forward in my stance,weight forward more than middle, handle is ahead at impact and I focus on keeping the clubhead low to the ground after impact. If i'm looking to stop the ball a bit quicker I either push it back a ball or two for some check or slightly open the face and swing more left for more of a dead flight.

The club head being kept low is something I changed from a playing lesson and it really transformed my chipping from heavy rough.

99% of the time I use my 60°. It's a mid bounce where as my old one was low bounce, I may go back to a low bounce as on tighter lies the margin of error is quite a bit smaller.

I'm not great at practising but I'll always make time to chip, I like to see the low skid and stops, it keeps it entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don’t think you should be breaking your wrists
    All depends on lie and how much ground I have to cover, any obstacles to get over and how much green to work with........ oh and what kind of course

So With more green to use I might use anything from a 9iron to my 56 (most loft currently in bag) when I have less green and a putter in some cases esp on a links

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seve OB wrote: »
    All depends on lie and how much ground I have to cover, any obstacles to get over and how much green to work with........ oh and what kind of course

So With more green to use I might use anything from a 9iron to my 56 (most loft currently in bag) when I have less green and a putter in some cases esp on a links

Mickleson always says to hinge and hold the wrists. I tend to always use this method, unless I need a very gentle chip on the side of the green or something.

I usually use my 60 or 56degree depending on the shot, I mainly play links golf though so more often than not the putter is the choice. A bad putt will still be half decent, a bad chip could be disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

RoadRunner wrote: »
    :eek: is this because modern putters have so little loft nowadays?

I haven't given it that much thought. I'm usually just looking for something that will carry through the fringe well and roll out towards the hole. Gmac once said that where possible, you want the ball rolling out towards the hole as much as possible to increase your make percentage and hes right. I hit some part of the hole more often since adopting this strategy than with a lofted club. It's all about the percentages for me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

etxp wrote: »
    Mickleson always says to hinge and hold the wrists. I tend to always use this method, unless I need a very gentle chip on the side of the green or something.

I usually use my 60 or 56degree depending on the shot, I mainly play links golf though so more often than not the putter is the choice. A bad putt will still be half decent, a bad chip could be disastrous.

I was trying his techniques after all the videos he done last year wasnt having great results to be honest was hit and miss. Then at a lesson with my Pro and he just said theres a reason Mickleson is a Pro and we are not! And he just gave me a easy technique using 9I or 52 deg ..

Suppose its whatever works!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

had a large enough garden growing up. my dad sold cars so there was always a few tyres knocking around. one at each end of the garden, up to about 60 yards or so and all points in between.
    it used to be the best part of my game when i was a kid.

i can swing a club in my garden now and not much more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I try the ball to land in a dustbin lid size area two or three yards on the green.
    The club I use is the one that can do this and get the ball low and rolling.
    If the flag is 20 yards away it might be a 7 iron, closer and it could be a sand wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The more wristy you are the more you are using the bounce, this is a good thing if you know how to you use it (ball position, etc)
    Using the bounce will save you from chunking the ball more so than any "hands ahead, clubface closed, weight forward" approach, but you have to know how to use it.

Used correctly you can chip from the green itself and not leave any damage, you will also get a lot more spin on the ball, it can be very powerful.

However, all that said, it takes arguably more practice to learn your distances and run out (due to more loft and more spin).
    Personally I still get better, more consistent results from weight forward, hands forward, ball centre and less spin on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Read a article from shot scope and all the best chippers used a mixture of clubs with the majority of shots hit with a 8i, 9i, pw or putter.
    Poor chippers tended to just pull out their favourite LW or SW.
    I had the yips and it wasn't until I learned about how to use the bounce of the club I got over them, basically u should be hitting the ground with the back edge of the club not the leading edge.

For me if you can putt then putt overall it's the option that will get you closer to the hole more ofter.
    Bump and run with utility takes out the spin and lie and is easy to master
    Chipping for me after that is same technique for most other shots just selecting the club to land in a spot and roll out to the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭almostover

I tend to cycle through my clubs to be honest. Have played Hybrid bumps using a putting technique, a bit like Rikand above, but that would be very rare.

I'd say that I most commonly use a range of clubs from 8i - 58 degree wedge.

I'm generally very comfortable hitting a bump & run. I'd say that generally, I look to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, rather than throw the ball at the hole.

I'll generally only use the 58 if I'm short-sided & have to go over a hazard of some sort. Its too low a percentage shot for me.

The 3 most commonly used clubs for me would be 8i, 50 & 54 wedges depending on the need.

Technique-wise I try to keep it very simple, very minimal wrist action for the vast majority. More of a rock of the arms back & through. Weight about 70%-80% on front foot & ball generally close to middle of my stance. Tend to probably have my feet slightly open. I have two real things I'm trying to make sure I do - 1 brush the grass on my way through the ball & 2 - make sure I accelerate through the ball. Other than that, I'm more focussed on my landing spot, as I find I work best with an external focus point. I don't generate massive amounts of spin, can't play those skip-and-stop chips that I know you have a knack for ;)

Adam Young put a good little test up once to determine whats best for you. Go out and hit 10 chips where you're completely focussed on your technique (internal focus) and 10 where you're completely focussed on landing spot (externally focussed). Measure your performance results & it gives you a reasonable guide on what approach works best for you. Some people need to focus on their technique to deliver things correctly. Some people lock up when they're too focussed on technique so the external point removes that stress on the method.

For pitches, before things came to a crashing halt, I'd been working on trying to be more regimented with my technique. Taking 3 different positions with my back-swing with each of my wedges & trying to get distances for each. Weight about 60% on the front foot, with no real shift of weight like on a full swing. Unfortunately not getting enough time put in to get solid data, but hopefully will get that sorted eventually.

I must try that Adam Young approach. Have read in golf psychology books about being target focussed but I've often played my best golf with a particular swing thought and focusing on that once I've aligned correctly. Must try this drill out in the back lawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Seve OB wrote: »

I think you absolutely need to break your wrists on the backswing and do it as early as possible but dont come inside the swing plane.

Have hit 1000's of 20-30 yard chips in the last 3 weeks and the eureka moment for me was breaking your wrists, even on the v small chips.

Dont fully buy into Mickelsons "follow through with the hands held well forward (hinge and hold method), but he is spot on with the hinge part.

At impact your hands should be slightly ahead of square, led by the body so if you slightly miss hit the bounce of the wedge will bail you out - also set up neutral, v important imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Found this very useful as previosly was not roatating body , also got good advice to grip club with righthand first so you are at low point .

https://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/wedges/characteristics-of-great-chipping/#.VqdDi9ivlaR

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

londonred wrote: »
    Found this very useful as previosly was not roatating body , also got good advice to grip club with righthand first so you are at low point .

https://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/wedges/characteristics-of-great-chipping/#.VqdDi9ivlaR
    Good tips. I actually saw Thomas Bjorn explaining the same thing (rotating the body) to Nick Dougherty in a Sky interview before the Ryder Cup. He was incredibly delicate and accirate for a big man (I know that shouldn't matter) and it stuck with me. You get really great confidence in your wedges when you remember to do this.

Another one I use is one I saw Tiger Woods doing when close to the green. With a lob wedge, but the ball almost behind the back foot and like a putting swing. The ball was up and down very quickly, but ran like a putt. It's a really effective stroke and with the ball so far back in the stance, no chance of catching the ground first, so a very clean stroke. Works for me anyway. And Tiger obvs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

mike12 wrote: »
    Read a article from shot scope and all the best chippers used a mixture of clubs with the majority of shots hit with a 8i, 9i, pw or putter.
    I had the yips and it wasn't until I learned about how to use the bounce of the club I got over them, basically u should be hitting the ground with the back edge of the club not the leading edge.

For me if you can putt then putt overall it's the option that will get you closer to the hole more ofter.
    Chipping for me after that is same technique for most other shots just selecting the club to land in a spot and roll out to the hole.

Thank you thank you for the tip about using back ege of bounce, I read that last night and was bursting to try it, been working on my chipping every day since restricitons in place and this worked a treat, gets the ball airbourne very quick and brushes the ground nicely, just need to work out the new distances now:) Where did you read about using the bounce like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

trigger26 wrote: »
    Thank you thank you for the tip about using back ege of bounce, I read that last night and was bursting to try it, been working on my chipping every day since restricitons in place and this worked a treat, gets the ball airbourne very quick and brushes the ground nicely, just need to work out the new distances now:) Where did you read about using the bounce like that?

It's how the clubs are designed to be used...just be careful on thin lies....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Big Phil hinge and hold with a 7, 9 or sandwedge depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

mike12 wrote: »

Harrington always says chip with the club you practice with the most and that's what i have always done. majority of the time it is 56. If i'm short sided with little room to work with i may flop shot with 60 but it's easily the least used club in my bag.

I think my technique is similar to the hinge and hold method (with very little divot) so i don't break my wrists. If i want to get the ball higher, i move it forward in stance or back in stance similar to a chip and run but i rarely would go with a different club than 56.

Harrington always says chip with the club you practice with the most and that's what i have always done. majority of the time it is 56. If i'm short sided with little room to work with i may flop shot with 60 but it's easily the least used club in my bag.

I think my technique is similar to the hinge and hold method (with very little divot) so i don't break my wrists. If i want to get the ball higher, i move it forward in stance or back in stance similar to a chip and run but i rarely would go with a different club than 56.
    Pretty much the same with me except I use the lob wedge mostly. Change the position in the stance depending on what I want the ball to do and only if I want a lot of run do I step up the club to SW, GW or PW. Sometimes even 9i or 8i. Nine times out of ten, I'm using the LW from at least 60 yards in.

Padraig Harrington spoke about using the putter from off the green. He was saying that it's often the best and most accurate option. However, he said it's a shot you MUST practice on the course you're going to play because of the difference in grass length and grain. Practice from the fairway, rough against the grain and rough with the grain and you'll get an idea of how hard or soft to hit the ball. A member of my club does it all the time and he's deadly with it. Even from a long distance off the green where you'd normally expect to chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Padraig Harrington spoke about using the putter from off the green. He was saying that it's often the best and most accurate option. However, he said it's a shot you MUST practice on the course you're going to play because of the difference in grass length and grain. Practice from the fairway, rough against the grain and rough with the grain and you'll get an idea of how hard or soft to hit the ball. A member of my club does it all the time and he's deadly with it. Even from a long distance off the green where you'd normally expect to chip.

Saw him talking about that a bit in the Olympia a couple of years ago alright.

Basically said you always see people practicing before a round on the putting green, but you almost never see them practice putting from off the green to test out the conditions. Then you see them hit the shots on the course and give out about their misjudgements

Advertisement