Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

patsat wrote: »
    https://www.saharabbqs.com/products/3-burner-oak-bbq/

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on what BBQ to pick up for a newbie. I'm gonna go gas for ease of use as I feel I'd get more use out of it than a charcoal.

Is the above a good choice? The Sahara X350 is a similar price but the extra price gives a side burner and I'm not sure I'd have the use for it. I'd prefer the removable boards of the above barbeque.

I don't want to spend more than the €350 mark. Any other recommendations or am I on the right track? Thanks

Am in same boat as you. Looking to buy a decent gas bbq. Know homestore n more have ones on offer at moment round 250 mark but are very poor quality according to the experienced bbq'rs on the charcoal thread. Don't know if I can justify to wife spending €500 odd on weber when know little about them.was looking at Sahara website you mentioned there and the x350 caught my eye as it has side burner which be very useful if want to have pan going for other things.

Hoping that some of the experienced members on here can direct to a good starter bbq for newbie to start off with of what should I be looking out for when hunting for one.

mjp wrote: »
    Am in same boat as you. Looking to buy a decent gas bbq. Know homestore n more have ones on offer at moment round 250 mark but are very poor quality according to the experienced bbq'rs on the charcoal thread. Don't know if I can justify to wife spending €500 odd on weber when know little about them.was looking at Sahara website you mentioned there and the x350 caught my eye as it has side burner which be very useful if want to have pan going for other things.

Hoping that some of the experienced members on here can direct to a good starter bbq for newbie to start off with of what should I be looking out for when hunting for one.

I can't comment on the Sahara per se- however, I did start years ago with a cheapish (i.e. 250 euro) gas BBQ and it pretty much fell apart in about 3-4 years -
    I have my 500 euro Weber (Spirit )for about 6 or 7 years now and it works like new- the construction is a combo of aluminium, stainless steel and porcelain enamel - however, make sure your version comes with cast iron grill, not enamel grill- the enamel grill will rot within 2 years (older models had the enamel grill). So as you can see, even Weber aren't totally immune to some components not being up to scratch.

So leaving aside brand names, concentrate on the quality of the materials and also the availability of replacement parts or indeed accessories if you want to expand what you use the BBQ for.

Take a big picture view- if you're going to use a couple of times a week on average all year around, then get something like the Weber.

If you're going to just use it in Summer once a week to cook a steak of a few burgers then put it back in the shed come september, maybe a cheaper BBQ will see you through the next few years without problems.

But if you're back garden is your holiday this summer, then the additional expense would be well justified, assuming you can afford it.

PS
    This is the Weber to go for- includes cast iron grates - don't even think of buying the ones with enamel grates - spot on 500 euro right now

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/gas-barbecue-grills/products/spirit-eo-210

Also- consider one of these if budget is an issue:390 - but that's just 110 less than the Weber and I know which one i'd go for.

https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/gas-barbecue-grills/products/bk-porta-chef-320

phone "aroomoutside" - they're very helpful and can deliver once you place your order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bambam26 wrote: »
    Hopefully won’t need it but the bbq comes with a long warranty and if that fails there is a few spare part stockists in the UK and they have a place in Ireland, that’s where I have ordered from so if needed there should not be a problem getting spares.

They are actually designed here in Ireland. In Co. Wicklow to be precise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

AEH1984 wrote: »
    Sorry just seeing this, delighted with it. Have used it everyday so far. What about you?

Built it last night,handy enough! Thought it was going to be very flimsy but came together very well. I cooked breakfast on it this morning and it was great, very quick to heat and keep at an even temperature.

Looking forward to dinner already:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

duffman13 wrote: »
    Built it last night,handy enough! Thought it was going to be very flimsy but came together very well. I cooked breakfast on it this morning and it was great, very quick to heat and keep at an even temperature.

Looking forward to dinner already:)

Just finished dinner from it and have chicken marinading for tomorrow. Hot plate is a godsend, great being able to cooking everything together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Got a Weber Genesis last week so will be following this thread

Beer can chicken is on my to try list !

Some great advice here re temps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

So had a go with the beer can chicken on my gas BBQ.

Made a simple marinade off chicken seasoning, oil, Salt, Balsamic vinegar and honey.
    511712.jpg
    511713.jpg

Then got the BBQ warm put the beer can in it too to get it up to temp before,

Shoving it up the chicken's arse....

511715.jpg

Kept it at 180c to 200c until the breast hit 67c

511716.jpg

Then left it to rest until it hit 72c.

511716.jpg

Tasted great, You don't need a charcoal bbq to get this kind of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Just bought below from homestore yesterday as Im a complete novice with BBQ'ing. €259 seemed decent value for whats out there eventhough €50 delivery charge was crazy. Not sure what their quality is like but couldn't justify spending €500 on a weber at the moment to my wife !!! Hopefully in another year or two can invest in a better quality grill.

Was tempted to go charcoal but gas seems like lot less hassle and time for cooking. What other accessories do people have that they couldn't do without for the bbq. Was thinking of getting a smoker box and wood chippings to use to add flavour to food. is there any way of incorporating charcoal into your cooking that you dont destroy or damage grills on your bbq?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gas-barbecue/master-cook-classic-500-5-burner-bbq/066033.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just bought below from homestore yesterday as Im a complete novice with BBQ'ing. €259 seemed decent value for whats out there eventhough €50 delivery charge was crazy. Not sure what their quality is like but couldn't justify spending €500 on a weber at the moment to my wife !!! Hopefully in another year or two can invest in a better quality grill.

Was tempted to go charcoal but gas seems like lot less hassle and time for cooking. What other accessories do people have that they couldn't do without for the bbq. Was thinking of getting a smoker box and wood chippings to use to add flavour to food. is there any way of incorporating charcoal into your cooking that you dont destroy or damage grills on your bbq?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gas-barbecue/master-cook-classic-500-5-burner-bbq/066033.html

You’ll be grand with that. It’s a bit of a beast! :)

If you look at the first post in this thread you’ll see some links in how to turn your gas bbq into a smoker. You used to be able to buy bags of wood chips in Dealz, not sure if they’re still there.

I wouldn’t add charcoal to any gas bbq. That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've added smoldering charcoal to the gas grill. Just put it on the grates in a nest of tinfoil. Works fine.

smoke-on-gas-grill.jpg

It doesn't make a massive difference though. The smoker box will. But the real taste is from the meat juices hitting the heat (gas or charcoal) and vaporising and rising back through the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'm going into my 3rd summer with that BBQ now and it still works as good as it did on day 1.

I bought a cover for it and it is kept outside (under the cover) throughout the year. I do clean down the grills after each use though and have through them in the dishwasher a few times too.

If you look after it you won"t need to change it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Bought my one nearly 6 years ago for €213 and it was brilliant buy. I did look after it at first by covering it up when not in use and that lasted probably about a year and since then it sits out on the decking ready for action. It's got a good bit of usage over the last 6 weeks and it's still as good as the day I made the purchase. As said in a previous post, it's an absolute beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Trying to decide between the Weber q1200 and 2200, as mainly for 2 person. The 2nd one at least takes a gas cylinder, hopefully not much bigger compared to the 1st, is it? I'm bit worried sizewise.
    Any alternatives out there in this size range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Bit the bullet today and bought Weber Spirit II e310. Bought directly from Weber. 599 plus free delivery. Some places here in Ireland wanted 70eur for delivery and it was 649 on their website.
    Anyone any experience of this bbq? Husband thinks it'll be too small. Too late now!

I had looked at the homestore ones and after a good bit of research and along with the fact that we won't be going anywhere on hols this year and have third child on way so won't be eating out for god knows how long, we said we'd go for the Weber. Hope we not just paying for a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

heldel00 wrote: »
    Bit the bullet today and bought Weber Spirit II e310. Bought directly from Weber. 599 plus free delivery. Some places here in Ireland wanted 70eur for delivery and it was 649 on their website.
    Anyone any experience of this bbq? Husband thinks it'll be too small. Too late now!

I had looked at the homestore ones and after a good bit of research and along with the fact that we won't be going anywhere on hols this year and have third child on way so won't be eating out for god knows how long, we said we'd go for the Weber. Hope we not just paying for a name.

310 is plenty big, I have the 210 and can cook for 6/7 people easily. Weber is quality your getting what you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’ll take a while to arrive from Weber though

Lads- this is down to 450 now- cast iron grates and brush included

https://aroomoutside.ie/products/spirit-eo-210?_pos=1&_sid=2f9254492&_ss=r

Yep I had def considered this One, event the cast iron grates alone, but went for the three burner in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Good call, thanks. That even includes free delivery

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    Good call, thanks. That even includes free delivery

Yes- and they assemble for a fee if you don't want the hassle so what you'd save on delivery you could spend on assembly instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

Bit the bullet today and bought Weber Spirit II e310. Bought directly from Weber.

I bought the same spirit e310 today from The Orchard. €70 delivery alright. Just hoping now I get it soon.

Excellent choice- for a family and indeed a big get together, it's perfect- but the smaller Spirit 210 is a good choice for families and smaller get togethers -so the 3 series gives you even more scope. Plan your meal and you'll have hours of enjoyment out of it.- you won't regret going Weber.

Frank11 wrote: »
    I bought the same spirit e310 today from The Orchard. €70 delivery alright. Just hoping now I get it soon.

I'd definitely have gone with them only for the 70 delivery. Thought that was a bit much. Weber was out of stock all weekend and only by chance I checked back in this morning. It does warn though that delivery could be anything up to two weeks so I'm sure you'll have yours much quicker. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

I ordered the Weber E-210 from Arboretum over the weekend.
    Ordered processed this morning and delivered to my door by 2pm.
    Free delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

ongarite wrote: »
    I ordered the Weber E-210 from Arboretum over the weekend.
    Ordered processed this morning and delivered to my door by 2pm.
    Free delivery too.

You must have got the last one, they are out of stock now. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Have a pizza stone from Weber on the way and will be trying to make my own dough for the first time. Can someone tell me what that dusting is on the likes of Dominos pizza ? Googling suggests cornmeal but when I try to buy it online I keep seeing Polenta ... is that the same thing ?

And when it comes to cooking, is it generally just add a sprinkle to the stone/crust ?

Apologies but I am a complete noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Gaz wrote: »
    Have a pizza stone from Weber on the way and will be trying to make my own dough for the first time. Can someone tell me what that dusting is on the likes of Dominos pizza ? Googling suggests cornmeal but when I try to buy it online I keep seeing Polenta ... is that the same thing ?

And when it comes to cooking, is it generally just add a sprinkle to the stone/crust ?

I got one of these stones about a month ago. Instructions re sprinkle of flour are in the Instruction Brochure.
    (basically sprinkle a bit after the stone is warned up, as you're putting in the pizza)
    I did a blind test with the kids, serving up 2 x replica pizzas: one from Weber BBQ using the stone and one from the kitchen oven ......
    the "stone" pizza won, hands-down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gaz wrote: »

Healthy dusting on the bottom of cornmeal, polenta, maize, semola, semolina. All do the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

in anticipation of spending a lot of my time in the garden this summer i'm looking at pulling the trigger on ordering a Weber Gensis II E-310 .. i've a Weber Kettle at the moment that has served me well - but i've only ever used it for the basics.

I've every intention on getting somewhat adventurous with out door cooking - as in not just grilling - is there any reason why I shouldn't look at the E-310 ?

I've no experience in Gas - always been charcoal but like the idea of instant turn on and more control.

Also - where would be best to order from Orchard, Abertium or Webber direct ?

Advertisement