Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Cutting at Weekends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I lived in Brussels for a year and cutting the grass wasn’t allowed on Sundays. Sunday is a quiet day, no loud gardening equipment allowed. Such a thing would never work in Ireland I don’t think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This, I don't know what the obsession for sterile mini golf course lawns is about. Peer pressure for adults, all this lawnmowing activity.
    There is a let it grow wild for May campaign, help the bees.

Grass cutting is very pleasurable, and we re just a bunch of control freaks, oh and fcuk the bees, little stinging bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Dry grass is best for your mower. Think of your trusty mower. Mow in the evenings.

If everyone worried about the neighbours, farmers wouldn't be able to spread slurry or cut silage at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

lawred2 wrote: »
    Because it tends to be unusable..

If you've an acre out the back, then 100% apportion a section for growing wild but your average postage stamp back garden has to be cut if you've any intentions of using it.

I think it's a good idea for residents committee or maintenance company to keep a section of green area in your housing estate for this purpose.

anewme wrote: »
    What time is acceptable to cut the grass at weekends. ?

Was going to cut it this evening but neighbours out having drinks, so will leave it till tomorrow.

Would it annoy you if neighbours cut grass at say 10am?

Out having drinks? **** them. If you’re too meek than you’ll be walked on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread needs poll, and then pics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Anytime after the Peasant Beating and Peasant Shooting is Adjourned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I prefer my staff to do that work when I am at my city residence. Her Ladyship gets annoyed when the gardener shows a bit of builders cleavage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Noon. The grass is dry and easiest to cut.
    And if the grass is wet? Do not cut.

Aside from it being madness to be up cutting grass at 8am or similar it’s far too early as the grass is still wet. Need to wait until the sun burns off the dew before cutting the grass.

I would normally cut the grass in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How's she cuttin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

What time is acceptable to cut the grass at weekends. ?

Was going to cut it this evening but neighbours out having drinks, so will leave it till tomorrow.

Would it annoy you if neighbours cut grass at say 10am?

If you are in a very urban location like me, I would never have the mower out before 11. But if its an electric or battery mower might be OK at 10ish. Some angry posters on here, take it steady and a little respect for your neighbours. I don`t find it easy to sleep and if I do get a decent sleep, last thing I`d want on a bank hol or a Sunday is a noisy Briggs & Stratton engine starting up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well Op are you cutting the grass now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Out having drinks? **** them. If you’re too meek than you’ll be walked on forever.

I don't see having consideration for neighbours as being meek..

Having a few drinks out back on a sunny evening in the middle of this **** we are going through?

Theres a huge difference between being a pushover and being a cnut.

It's a noisy enough petrol mower.

Stayed in bed till 10 myself. So going to head out for a cycle for an hour and then will do the grass at about 12. I don't think anyone could complain then. I want to look at getting rid of the grass, more trouble than it's worth, but would not consider the fake grass and dont want a concrete jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭TheDavester

ParkRunner wrote: »
    I lived in Brussels for a year and cutting the grass wasn’t allowed on Sundays. Sunday is a quiet day, no loud gardening equipment allowed. Such a thing would never work in Ireland I don’t think.

like those going out when told to stay in, you'd have bell ends trying to be "edgy" and do it before say a set time - 12pm is grand on weekends/days off

irritating neighbour, while theyre nice family but not the smartest always seem to cut it on weekends at 7am (and taking forever despite a tiny garden') and you can hear them doing work in house up till about 10pm at night - despite having kids,you can still hear them hammering/sawing things up till about ten

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

People who cut their lawn in the mornings are the same sort of people who frequent the weather forum, watch Ireland’s Fittest Family, and consider perusing the Aldi pullout magazine to be a highlight of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I tend to do my lawn in the late afternoon or evening. Might add that I always leave one spot on the lawn for the wildflowers.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

rn wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea for residents committee or maintenance company to keep a section of green area in your housing estate for this purpose.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People who cut their lawn in the mornings are the same sort of people who frequent the weather forum, watch Ireland’s Fittest Family, and consider perusing the Aldi pullout magazine to be a highlight of the week.

this is me, i rock!

Ooops. guess that is aimed at me given I asked the question about cutting the grass in the mornings in the first place!

Lot of worse type of people including those trying to sneer at others.

My Mam is going stir crazy too.....stuck in that house for weeks now worrying about the aul fella in the home with Dementia and the COVID.

Along with the Ireland's own she loves the aul Aldi magazine - highlight of the week and can't wait to be allowed back out to get to all those goodies in the middle aisle.

I'm partial to a bit of the Aldi mag myself. Might pick up a few bits for the garden, for when I'm cutting the grass early morning next time.

Grass half cut. When this is over I am hiring someone to come once a month to tidy the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ooops. guess that is aimed at me given I asked the question about cutting the grass in the mornings in the first place!

Lot of worse type of people including those trying to sneer at others.

My Mam is going stir crazy too.....stuck in that house for weeks now worrying about the aul fella in the home with Dementia and the COVID.

Along with the Ireland's own she loves the aul Aldi magazine - highlight of the week and can't wait to be allowed back out to get to all those goodies in the middle aisle.

I'm partial to a bit of the Aldi mag myself. Might pick up a few bits for the garden, for when I'm cutting the grass early morning next time.

It wasn’t aimed at you. I don’t even know who you are tbh.

It wasn’t aimed at you. I don’t even know who you are tbh.

Didn't think you knew me - you just made a sweeping generalisation about people (trying to be funny/ condescending?) based on the fact they cut their grass in the mornings!

As I asked the question, I could just be one of those "type of people".

As I said, could be a lot lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Anytime before midday is normally too wet to cut.

Didn't think you knew me - you just made a sweeping generalisation about people (trying to be funny/ condescending?) based on the fact they cut their grass in the mornings!

As I asked the question, I could just be one of those "type of people".

As I said, could be a lot lot worse.
    You are in “ After Hours “ If you cannot cope with having your leg pulled perhaps you put your post in the wrong Forum ! !

blinding wrote: »
    You are in “ After Hours “ If you cannot cope with having your leg pulled perhaps you put your post in the wrong Forum ! !

That is a fair point.

I personally witnessed that same poster be particularly nasty to another poster recently, so I am pointing out there are worse types of people than those reading the Aldi catalogue.

Do you cut your own lawn?

If so, what time is acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I find at 4am its a great release after coming back to my pad after a rave and after party and coming down off crystal meth.
    You would imagine the neighbours complained but not after the first few times when the Regional Response Unit were called out. We had a bit of a discussion, ended in a stand off, me brandishing a sawn off shotgun, harpoon gun (for taking down the helicopter) napalm and some improvised firebombs.

Yeah after that happened twice .... it sort of calmed down and no one complained about the mowing. Just the Judge asked me why there were so many goats on the property.

That is a fair point.

I personally witnessed that same poster be particularly nasty to another poster recently, so I am pointing out there are worse types of people than those reading the Aldi catalogue.

Do you cut your own lawn?

The Council cut my Lawn coz I got connections to the Council Lawn ;)

I find at 4am its a great release after coming back to my pad after a rave and after party and coming down off crystal meth.
    You would imagine the neighbours complained but not after the first few times when the Regional Response Unit were called out. We had a bit of a discussion, ended in a stand off, me brandishing a sawn off shotgun, harpoon gun (for taking down the helicopter) napalm and some improvised firebombs.

Yeah after that happened twice .... it sort of calmed down and no one complained about the mowing. Just the Judge asked me why there were so many goats on the property.
    I’m surprised the Neighbours don’t cut your lawn for ya. Afraid to ruin your fun I suppose:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

blinding wrote: »
    I’m surprised the Neighbours don’t cut your lawn for ya. Afraid to ruin your fun I suppose:D

I am sorry for the tardiness in my reply. I decided to celebrate Star Wars Day last night and thought it was appropriate to give a lawn a light trim.
    From what I recall from the flashbacks it was like "Danger Close" and "Anthropoid" with a Sepultura soundtrack. I was awoken this morning in my favourite cell by a nice guard with a full Irish and a meeting with my three lawyers. All charges were dropped due to none of the neighbours wished to complain and a generous donation to the Garda Pension Fund.

I am currently on my way home to feed my goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I am sorry for the tardiness in my reply. I decided to celebrate Star Wars Day last night and thought it was appropriate to give a lawn a light trim.
    From what I recall from the flashbacks it was like "Danger Close" and "Anthropoid" with a Sepultura soundtrack. I was awoken this morning in my favourite cell by a nice guard with a full Irish and a meeting with my three lawyers. All charges were dropped due to none of the neighbours wished to complain and a generous donation to the Garda Pension Fund.

I am currently on my way home to feed my goats.

Did you at least cut it with a lightsaber ?

Advertisement