Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rio, Salthill, for sale

• 08-04-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭

25 bedroomed unit built in 1900s up for sale
    https://touch.daft.ie/commercial-property-for-sale/the-rio-salthill-co-galway/1193449

How fantastic are these interiors?
    I've never been in there to gaze at these marvels. How many people know about this jewel?
    How come no tv company has used this to produce a 1950's film?

has two telecoms masts which generate €22k p.a. - good income line there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow I'm actually surprised at that price, obviously will need updating in many places and if not in complete disrepair then it's actually very cheap imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walked past so many times and wondered about it.
    I really really hope it gets to remain as is, and isn't knocked down and some monstrosity is put in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It looks quite nice inside from the photos on Daft! Dunno why but I expected it to be in poor condition. If I win the Euro Millions I'll buy it and keep it as-is for posterity. Then when the next pandemic comes around I'll move in with a load of mates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Wow those interiors and furniture look amazing alright. Would be great if they survive.

biko wrote: »
    Walked past so many times and wondered about it.
    I really really hope it gets to remain as is, and isn't knocked down and some monstrosity is put in its place.

Most likely knocked and a load of shoeboxes erected in its place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Id give anything for a look inside that run down hotel The Burren Mount next to Killorans pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Never realised it looked like that inside. The Glendalough next door which was probably built at the same time was a total wreck even thirty years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The rooms aren't bad at all. The common areas are very dated but could embrace it and make that style the theme of the hotel without spending a fortune.

Didn't even know the hotel had been trading in the last 10+ years...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From the pictures, I'd would have presumed that the hotel is still running. How long has it been closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

They're up on Booking.com with reviews up until November 2019. :eek:
    Pretty good reviews too, average of 8.3/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

DaCor wrote: »
    Most likely knocked and a load of shoeboxes erected in its place

I doubt they would get planning permission, it dates back to early 1900’s as far I know, would imagine it has some protected status given its heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could be shut a long long time now with how we are going to be in a depression.....

Would it be turned into housing as it is for those coming here from abroad....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Stayed there while on my 6th class school tour back in 1995. Thought it was a dump at the time, but my 12 year old self would not have appreciated those interiors. My only real memory of the place is the manager was very grumpy, but too be fair there were 60+ 12 year old boys running around the place....

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

I can see this place being bought out by one of the companies that house's asylum seekers. Maybe the same company that bought the hotel in oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can see this place being bought out by one of the companies that house's asylum seekers. Maybe the same company that bought the hotel in oughterard.

Nice try.

fyi there's already one direct-provision hostel in Salthill, which operates with no difficulty. This is not an area where you're going get a backlash, apart from people who genuinely do believe that DP is not an adequate way to house anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

Nice try.

fyi there's already one direct-provision hostel in Salthill, which operates with no difficulty. This is not an area where you're going get a backlash, apart from people who genuinely do believe that DP is not an adequate way to house anyone.

What are you trying to infer with your comment nice try?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

Cheers for posting this OP, really brightened up my day as I always wondered what that place was like inside. Loved the 50's kitchen vibe !! Have to say even before the pandemic recession hit the guide price would be very optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Legendary spot, stayed there once years ago - felt like staying in the hotel out of the Shining.

I like the old school look of the place, it has character. A lot of modern architecture is dog**** !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

House next door gone on sale at same time
    Are the too related?
    The house was built in circa early 1930s, recorded as a listed structure under the current Galway City Development Plan.
    https://www.daft.ie/12167339

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭theintern

zell12 wrote: »
    House next door gone on sale at same time
    Are the too related?
    The house was built in circa early 1930s, recorded as a listed structure under the current Galway City Development Plan.
    https://www.daft.ie/12167339

The size of the space out the back there! You wouldn't think it to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Has this been taken off-market or sold?
    For Sale sign is gone

House next door still for sale
    https://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-sale/salthill/loretto-132-salthill-road-lower-salthill-galway-2167339/

Advertisement