Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Fool & others

Options
  • 28-04-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I’ve been using Motley Fool now for a few months and personally I feel it’s a sham. Constantly pushing you up to a newer more expensive subscription. The information on their website is dated and the stock picks are for some reason all UK based.

I mostly do my own research and scanning Seeking Alpha, Stocktwits etc, is anyone using anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

AmberGold wrote: »
    I’ve been using Motley Fool now for a few months and personally I feel it’s a sham. Constantly pushing you up to a newer more expensive subscription. The information on their website is dated and the stock picks are for some reason all UK based.

I mostly do my own research and scanning Seeking Alpha, Stocktwits etc, is anyone using anything else?

Maybe you have subscribed to a UK service instead of the US one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I haven't got any other recommendations apart from doing your own research. I feel like the Motley Fool reads like clickbait, the same information re-packaged over and over again. Discussion forums are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Other forums besides Boards are full of people who think stocks will go to the moon, without any analyses they throw out numbers like confetti, and people who enjoy after-timing with their winners but no mention of their losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

GazzaL wrote: »
    I haven't got any other recommendations apart from doing your own research. I feel like the Motley Fool reads like clickbait, the same information re-packaged over and over again. Discussion forums are to be taken with a pinch of salt. Other forums besides Boards are full of people who think stocks will go to the moon, without any analyses they throw out numbers like confetti, and people who enjoy after-timing with their winners but no mention of their losers.

I wouldn't say Boards is excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

p to the e wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Boards is excluded.

I know, but some other forums are completely off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just try to be ahead of the curve and by the time it hits Motley Fool be ready to sell if your looking for quick in and outs. You have to be on top of the news as it's happening for quick bucks.

Trump is a perfect example of why you should be watching the news, everyone was laughing at him the other day for his dettol and UV light idea, I thought is he on to anything as I don't take him for an idiot, I don't take him for a doctor either but I looked into UV light therapy for covid and spotted a company involved in it and the stock shot up 60% from when I found it, similarly he has signed an order that meat processors have to stay open, suddenly processors like Tyson foods started to recover.
    Getting the news is critical, none of these would be long term investments, maybe a day or two similar to bitcoin miners they are reactionary buys, Bitcoin is up 5% in the last 10hrs, if it holds bitcoin miners will be up 5% today without fail.
    Similarly everyone is losing their minds about facemasks in the news a long with covid that made 3m an obvious play. The same when America got threatened with lockdown gun stocks went up like outdoor brands.
    So I think watching what's happening in the world is one of the most important things when it comes to short plays.

What's Today's news? I'll be watching for something, phase 3 trials of remdesivir look promising, that's good for Gilead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Got some Gilead last night despite news that they will sell at cost. Fingers crossed although doesn’t seem to have moved much after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Got some Gilead last night despite news that they will sell at cost. Fingers crossed although doesn’t seem to have moved much after hours.

Earnings are today, could go either way. Apple will be an interesting watch as well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OP, in your original post you stated:
    The information on their website is dated and the stock picks are for some reason all UK based.

Can you clarify which site you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I use Motley Fool. I subscribed to the Stock Advisor service. It's OK. At the start of the year I took a listing of all of their advice and put it into a spreadsheet and compared the prices now and then (close of business prices for the day of their recommendation).

I only went back a couple of years. They didn't beat the S&P500.

I've noticed recently that for some companies when they recommend a stock it has either jumped prior to or just at the recommendation. So if you buy it a couple of hours later in some cases you're paying 5% - 8% more than the opening price. That kind of annoys me.

I use Seeking Apha too. Take everything with a pinch of salt if you're reading the articles, some of the posters have agendas, but the app is great for tracking a portfolio and being notified about important dates for your stock.

I also use FinViz and Zacks. They both try to upsell you to their paid versions but you can subscribe for their trials for a month and cancel easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Jim2007 wrote: »
    OP, in your original post you stated:

Can you clarify which site you are referring to?

Jim, I subscribe to MotleyFool UK, I'll raise a support ticket to change so I get US picks.

On Gilead, I just took a flyer based on Fauci's conference yesterday, nothing to do with Fool so going off track on the thread. I do see they have recommended them today as three COVID stocks today on their site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement