Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Irish Times subscription

• 29-04-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Can anyone tell how to end the subscription I've emailed but received no reply and the phone number for cancelling subscriptions is never answered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

You could try and contact them through Twitter maybe

@IrishTimesHelp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Block the direct debit if that fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

JTMan wrote: »
    Block the direct debit if that fails.
    I did this. It's ridiculous that you can't opt out online. I won't sign up again unless they change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

jrmb wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that you can't opt out online.

Absolutely. The EU needs to pass a law that says if you can sign up online then you must be able to cancel online. Other countries have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

jrmb wrote: »
    I did this. It's ridiculous that you can't opt out online. I won't sign up again unless they change that.

Actually, the Irish Times are the only media that allows a simple email to cancel
    cancelmysubscription@irishtimes.com

That's why I signed up with them. Cancelled at one point and rejoined a few months later.

The worst is the business post. Up until recently they wouldn't let you see the price until you signed up. And they only will take cancelation by phone.

I agree with above that if you sign up online, you should be able to cancel online too.

The best out there is Netflix. A couple of clicks and you are unsubscribed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Darc19 wrote: »
    The best out there is Netflix. A couple of clicks and you are unsubscribed.
    The IT website gave me the impression that I had to send a paper form in the post. Thanks for your post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I had an electronic subscription and paper delivery on a Saturday, and I've cancelled both for the sole reason that their online account system is so poor.

I would like to support The Irish Times, but having such a badly implemented online service really grates. It takes about three weeks to get a reply from their email service. Isn't this kind of the point of having an online account? So that one can manage it themselves and hence free up Irish Times staff for something more useful? The current system clearly isn't working...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I am very tempted to now cancel mine due to the new ads featuring in the digital edition every few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

We had a subscription earlier this year but it regularly wouldn't let you sign in even though the money was paid. In the end we cancelled but the paper still keeps coming on Saturdays!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

And the IT are still advertising €1 for the first month when if, at any stage, you ever took their offer in the past, even if it was years ago and you paid through the nose for yonks, you don't get that again. I cancelled my subscription because of the absolutely terrible redesign earlier this year, but thought I'd pay a quid to get the IT over Christmas, as the weather is too miserable to schlep to the shop today but no, it's actually €12 for the month and not €1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement