Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maze

Options
  • 23-09-2017 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Just home from cinema having watched this. Really enjoyable film, based on the IRA escape from HMP Maze in 1983. As far as Troubles-based films go, it was really well made.

Some of the accents were slightly off but I suppose given the intended audience (i.e. anyone outside greater Belfast) it's only a minor criticism. I think the location they used wasn't suitable and could have possibly used the last remainig H block to shoot some scenes but other than that a really good watch. Nidge aka Tom Vaughan-Lawlor was excellent in the lead role.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it last night myself and yeah it's excellent.

I've read a few books on it and only 2 or 3% of the story is told.

Felt they could have made a good Netflix series out of it easily had they wanted to.

Knowing a fair bit about it I was hoping for certain aspects of the story to be tackled but mostly they were not.

Great stuff all the same for what there was and I agree Tom was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Seen it last night myself and yeah it's excellent.

I've read a few books on it and only 2 or 3% of the story is told.

Felt they could have made a good Netflix series out of it easily had they wanted to.

Knowing a fair bit about it I was hoping for certain aspects of the story to be tackled but mostly they were not.

Great stuff all the same for what there was and I agree Tom was excellent.

As a movie intended to bring the story to a general audience rather than dissect the politics of the events, it is a good film. I was slightly disappointed it didn't go into more depth but I would have a stronger knowledge of the escape, the H Blocks and Long Kesh than the general punter and everyone in the cinema seemed intrigued. I wouldn't criticise it too much for that, it's just a personal preference that I would have liked it better if it had deepened my knowledge but I enjoyed it as a piece of cinema nonetheless and it's general appeal would have been reduced had it been something which went into too much depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,284 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is becoming one of Ireland's great actors, I also thought Martin McCann did well in his role

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think using Cork Prison was a bit meh. Old stone walls in multi-storey buildings in what was a brand new prison exclusively using single-storey buildings is a bit off.

Showing scenes of Cork was a bit "Duh!" to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,284 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is on RTE 1 on Saturday

• Advertisement
Advertisement