Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CGT from US Stock Gains?

• 27-04-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I see it quoted on revenue that gains on certain foreign financial products are due 40% CGT. Does this include all gains on US shares?

I couldn't find any recent info on it. If anyone knows if there's any hit to the gain on the US side (given our double-taxation treaty) that would be great also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I pay 33% CGT on my "normal" US stock which is paid direct by Etrade to my Irish account. My company restricted and employee purchase stock is slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Would you also pay CGT on grants ?

D3V!L wrote: »
    Would you also pay CGT on grants ?

Grants/RSU’s are taxable as income at vesting then you pay CGT on sale profit unless you claim reliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

krissovo wrote: »
    I pay 33% CGT on my "normal" US stock which is paid direct by Etrade to my Irish account. My company restricted and employee purchase stock is slightly different.

How are restricted stock gains treated if you don’t mind me asking?
    I have RSUs that have vested where I’ve paid Income tax on the vest date value at 52% incl USC but would then have a capital gains when I go to sell them.
    Appreciate your insight

ctlsleh wrote: »
    How are restricted stock gains treated if you don’t mind me asking?
    I have RSUs that have vested where I’ve paid Income tax on the vest date value at 52% incl USC but would then have a capital gains when I go to sell them.
    Appreciate your insight

Its the same as income, I got hammered this year for example I was granted $50k last year when the share value was at $135 so 370 shares. They vested in December with the share price just short of $200 so I was taxed at the higher value of $75k so I got a low pay packet and then the shares tanked with corona back to $120. I can claim relief if I choose to sell at a loss though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wall st was effectively bailed out again, fed moved to prop up everything

Advertisement