Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I kick her out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Boot her out, not your concern where she goes just make sure it’s not your house.

All nonsense, it’s been explained over and over that the only licensees are those this applies to are students in purpose built student accommodation.

Absolutely no way does it apply to people who have “guests” in their home.

This is not a guest.

Its a student in "digs" - that means the kid is paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Slydice wrote: »
    You might be risking having to give her €20,000 and having to take her back into your digs if you kick her out.

From previous posts:

There is so much bad advice in this thread its ridiculous, and not to pick on you but that post is the worst example of it.

Firstly the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act 2020 states in section 5(7) that “all proposed evictions in all tenancies in the State, including those not covered by the Act of 2004, are prohibited during the operation of the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (Covid-19) Act 2020.”

Under section 5 of the principle 2004 act a tenant is defined as “the person for the time being entitled to the occupation of a dwelling under a tenancy..” The definition of a dwelling under section 4 of the principle act is stated as being .. a property let for rent or valuable consideration as a self-contained residential unit and includes any building or part of a building used as a dwelling and any out office, yard, garden or other land appurtenant to it or usually enjoyed with it”.

A room in a house is not a self contained residential unit and, it is clear from these definitions that licensee arrangements are not considered to fall under the scope of the term tenant or tenancy as defined in the principle act. There is vast swathes of case law that support this.

Secondly, the 2020 act (including its incorporation of section 37 of the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 201, which only covers licensees in purpose built student accommodation) in no way amends the scope of the definitions above to incorporate licensees into the meaning of a tenant under the principle 2004 act, nor does it create a new definition for the purposes of interpretation under the 2020 act. As such it is impossible to see how any construction of the three aforementioned acts combined could result in the conclusion that arrangements which involve the owner also living in the premises are covered by the new measures.

The information on the RTB website is factually incorrect and i've personally complained to them about it, and asked that they remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's absolutely 100% true.

As I said, I'm not guessing here.........

Any link to that legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

never_mind wrote: »
    I know under normal circumstances She’d be gone but I’m just worried that we’d some how get in trouble if we did kick her out. That she might take a case against us etc. Hmmm

All you have to do is a tiny little bit of research for yourself and you’d know that she can’t “take a case against us”.
    She’s a guest in your house, that’s it.
    You let her in, you let her treat you like ****, you don’t want a confrontation by telling her to leave so she’ll have to stay because no one else is going to do it for you.
    What kind of advice are you looking for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

New Emergency Legislation:
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/covid-19-emergency-legislation-for-rental-sector

Quote:
    "The emergency legislation states that all proposed evictions are prohibited, including Rent-a-Room and Digs-style accommodation."

Poster stating this girl is in digs in their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This is not a guest.

Its a student in "digs" - that means the kid is paying.

She’s a paying guest. That’s it. If you can give us a link to evidence that she has any rights then I’d love to read it.

Del Boy wrote: »
    Recent weeks are irrelevant. The legisation changed yesterday. So NOW you can't kick anyone out.

Stop posting BS, there was no new legislation passed yesterday. Here's todays Oifiguil as proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

At present, nobody is allowed to have a "guest" in their home........ she lives there and will continue to live there until the risk of her moving has been drastically reduced, whether she's paying rent or not, therefore she can't be removed. That's the long and the short of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Quote:
    "The emergency legislation states that all proposed evictions are prohibited, including Rent-a-Room and Digs-style accommodation."

The emergency legislation applies to all tenancies which fall under the Residential Tenancies Act, this includes Approved Housing Bodies, Student Specific and Private Rented Accommodation. The emergency legislation also applies to Rent-a-Room and Digs-style accommodation.

And the very first line states ,
    Put her out on her ear

Quote:

Thats not what the legislation says at all though. I posted the exact text of it above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

At present, nobody is allowed to have a "guest" in their home........ she lives there, whether she's paying rent or not, therefore she can't be removed. That's the long and the short of it.

I’d move her.

At present, nobody is allowed to have a "guest" in their home........ she lives there, whether she's paying rent or not, therefore she can't be removed. That's the long and the short of it.

No it's not, have you actually read the legislation? I posted the exact text of it above. it says absolutely nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Recent weeks are irrelevant. The legisation changed yesterday. So NOW you can't kick anyone out.

No it didn't. No legislation can be passed without a fully constituted Seanad. We won't have one of those until a government is formed and the then Taoiseach appoints the final 11 members.

Time wrote: »
    No it's not, have you actually read the legislation? I posted the exact text of it above. it says absolutely nothing of the sort.

You're wrong.

With effect from Friday, 27 March 2020, new emergency measures were introduced into law to protect tenants during the COVID-19 emergency period.

Date wrong. Content right.

Well thats not what was said, its simply not true that more legislation was introduced yesterday. I posted the exact text from the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act 2020. If you read it you'll see that the only people covered are tenants and licensees in purpose built student accommodation.

You're wrong.

Great analysis of the legislative text there. Care to explain what part of section incorporates licensees outside of those under the 2019 act i.e students in purpose built accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Caranica wrote: »
    No it didn't. No legislation can be passed without a fully constituted Seanad. We won't have one of those until a government is formed and the then Taoiseach appoints the final 11 members.

The RTB website is wrong so. Legislation was introduced on 27th March.....before seanad elections.

I’d move her.

Physically, you could....... but you'd then run the risk of severe consequences....... and she'd be placed back into your home regardless.

The opportunity to remove her has passed......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The RTB website is wrong so. Legislation was introduced on 27th March.....before seanad elections.

You said it changed yesterday, ie 23 April. The other cases on this forum are entirely relevant as they occurred since the legislation was brought in last month.

Physically, you could....... but you'd then run the risk of severe consequences....... and she'd be placed back into your home regardless.

The opportunity to remove her has passed......

This is the worst advice i've ever seen given on this site, and thats saying something.

• Advertisement

Well thats not what was said, its simply not true that more legislation was introduced yesterday. I posted the exact text from the Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act 2020. If you read it you'll see that the only people covered are tenants and licensees in purpose built student accommodation.

This is not a "is she/is she not a tenant?" issue....... regardless of what she's labelled, she cannot be removed at present.

This is the worst advice i've ever seen given on this site, and thats saying something.

I'm not giving advice, I'm stating the realities of the current crisis and it's effects on the Op's predicament.

This is not a "is she/is she not a tenant?" issue....... regardless of what she's labelled, she cannot be removed at present.

Yes it absolutely is, the 2020 act only applies to tenants and those considered to be tenants, not licensees. Constitutionally speaking it would be impossible to force someone to allow a guest to remain in their dwelling.

You said it changed yesterday, ie 23 April. The other cases on this forum are entirely relevant as they occurred since the legislation was brought in last month.

I'd take guidance from RTB website rather than from you.

Law is Law.

I'm not giving advice, I'm stating the realities of the current crisis and it's effects on the Op's predicament.

You haven't a clue about the realities. If you did you'd explain exactly how the 2020 act prevents the removal of a licensee.

I'd take guidance from RTB website rather than from you.

Law is Law.

How Ironic, i posted the law itself while you posted the RTB website. The law is the law though, at least you got that part right.

Yes it absolutely is, the 2020 act only applies to tenants and those considered to be tenants, not licensees. Constitutionally speaking it would be impossible to force someone to allow a guest to remain in their dwelling.

It wasn't too long ago that it was "unconstitutional" to prevent a citizen from going for a 3km jog........ times have changed radically, catch up.

Not at all true. There's been several threads on this matter in recent weeks, in one of the cases the Gardai witnessed the serving of notice to quit. Nobody is obliged to allow a guest, paying or otherwise, remain in their household, particularly when they pose a health risk to other residents.

She's not a guest. The poster stated she was in digs in their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Does she have a lease?
    Otherwise you can tell her to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

She's not a guest. The poster stated she was in digs in their house.

If you live with the property owner, you are a guest, and not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, even if you are paying. The references to students applies to purpose built student accommodation which used not be covered by the RTA.

Advertisement