Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XCOM: Chimera Squad

• 14-04-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,489 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty detailed trailer for a new XCOM game just dropped:

I've been dying for a new game, I probably play a new WOTC campaign once every few months, but I'm not totally sold on this.

I love the idea of having alien classes on your side, but things like the new turn order and especially the mechanic of nobody being able to die because the mission just restarts don't sound like good changes to me.

Oh also it's out in 10 days :p

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm, so Final Fantasy X style turn order... Will make a big change but I like that they already say you can jump to the top of the queue once per mission

I wonder are the classes limited to one per squad or it's free choice like before?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,489 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Another quick look into this and it's clearly a much shorter spin-off game seeing as it only costs €10 in the first week and €20 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

could be an interesting take on it. I will wait on the review but i did seriously enjoy the previous xcom games and add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, definitely getting the impression that it's a pared back experience, but that's cool seeing as it's priced accordingly. It's likely being used to test a few new ideas with the fan base, as well as a cheeky wink to Gears Tactics which releases a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Shades of XCom Apocalypse (set in a huge city instead of the whole world, travel to missions in a truck like vehicle, have to appease certain regions of the city or they start to turn).

Some interesting ideas, such as the setup and bonuses for deployment spots, could work well in regular Xcom (run a ping to detect where enemy blobs were at the start of the mission, first turn speed boost to get into cover after deployment). Seems very stripped back, reminds me a bit of Mass Effect with your pre-made team all with unique abilities but in grid based turn combat.

Do find it weird seeing humans and aliens fighting side by side though, always saw XCom as humans vs alien invaders.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Do find it weird seeing humans and aliens fighting side by side though, always saw XCom as humans vs alien invaders.

We saw a glimpse of it in WotC with the Skirmishers being Advent defectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's a tenner, ye really cant go wrong with that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I bought WOTC recently even though i still have to play vanilla xcom 2,, will i ever get round it not to mention this new thing.

Dcully wrote: »
    I bought WOTC recently even though i still have to play vanilla xcom 2,, will i ever get round it not to mention this new thing.

If you've got WOTC then there's no point playing vanilla 2, WOTC puts you through the entire vanilla campaign anyway, it just has way more content throughout.

If you've got WOTC then there's no point playing vanilla 2, WOTC puts you through the entire vanilla campaign anyway, it just has way more content throughout.

That was my next question but i asked ther same thing on a stream recently and most said go with vanilla first.

I also want to play Phoenix point at some stage, now this chimera Squad drops and gear tactics looks good too.

• Advertisement

That was my next question but i asked ther same thing on a stream recently and most said go with vanilla first.

I also want to play Phoenix point at some stage, now this chimera Squad drops and gear tactics looks good too.

I couldn't see any reason to go with vanilla first aside from it just being easier and less overwhelming if it's your first XCOM I guess.

WOTC it is so for when i get round to a playthrough :)

I do think WOTC can be overwhelming if you are not already well used to the game mechanics and best strategies and squad managment.

I do see why people say try a vanilla run first. If i had not played the previous games or vanilla xcom 2 , i do think there is a good case to be made for trying vanilla . The chosen add some tough moments into the missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

More I look at it, almost a hint of a "saturday morning cartoon" like Ghostbusters, M.A.S.K. or even TMNT to this: the big warehouse base, the oversized almost toy-like APC, the open assembly area with the big table they crowd around, the cast of characters with unique skills and silhouettes.

Maybe its just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    More I look at it, almost a hint of a "saturday morning cartoon" like Ghostbusters, M.A.S.K. or even TMNT to this: the big warehouse base, the oversized almost toy-like APC, the open assembly area with the big table they crowd around, the cast of characters with unique skills and silhouettes.

Maybe its just me.

If it's any consolation it's not just you but is it a bad thing?

I pre-ordered anyway. Its the first time in a long time i have done that for a game but for €10 there isnt alot to lose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

72% from PcGamer. Definitely worth it if you like Xcom games, and even more so given the price.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/xcom-chimera-squad-review/

Was hoping to be playing tonight but no preload option so tomorrow it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kiith wrote: »
    72% from PcGamer. Definitely worth it if you like Xcom games, and even more so given the price.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/xcom-chimera-squad-review/

Its even a small bit cheaper at €9 on fanatical. Pretty tempted by it.

Was hoping to be playing tonight but no preload option so tomorrow it is.

Same as you , checked and was surprised i though that preload was par for the course these days.

• Advertisement

Bought it even though i bought war of the chosen a few weeks back, bought xcom2 few years back and shamefully i havent played any yet.
    I know a bargain though :P i think ...

Bought it even though i bought war of the chosen a few weeks back, bought xcom2 few years back and shamefully i havent played any yet.
    I know a bargain though :P i think ...

I would tackle them in order - xcom 2 vanilla , WOTC , Chimera squad.

The pc gamer review makes it pretty clear it feels a bit limited compared to xcom 2

Its gas how varied opinions are about play order of xcom2, some say vanilla xcom2 first others WOTC :D

Chimera squad based on reviews looks really fun, the new turns system in particular seems more appealing to a noob like me.

Its gas how varied opinions are about play order of xcom2, some say vanilla xcom2 first others WOTC :D

Chimera squad based on reviews looks really fun, the new turns system in particular seems more appealing to a noob like me.

The xcom 2 difficulty curve is well documented where there is a point in the middle of the game , the missions get harder , the enemies tougher and you lag a bit in the tech and skills .
    Once you get past this it gets easier , but for a first time player WOTC increases the complexity

Few hours in and I'm having a good time, definitely feels a bit XCOM-lite but there's enough new stuff in it to make it different and interesting. Having unique characters get added to your squad in a random order rather than just a handful of class archetypes is really cool.

Few hours in and I'm having a good time, definitely feels a bit XCOM-lite but there's enough new stuff in it to make it different and interesting. Having unique characters get added to your squad in a random order rather than just a handful of class archetypes is really cool.

Yeah i agree I think they have got the cost right for the game. And as you said enough different to make it feel like a good experience .

Still really enjoying this but getting frustrated, the UI is nearly unplayably broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Still really enjoying this but getting frustrated, the UI is nearly unplayably broken.

It's a wee bit frustrating alright; having character abilities on different hotkeys is a big no-no.

Also got my first big scare when
    a car blew up after 2 turns, taking out 2 agents.
    Had to reload a save.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's a wee bit frustrating alright; having character abilities on different hotkeys is a big no-no.

Also got my first big scare when
    a car blew up after 2 turns, taking out 2 agents.
    Had to reload a save.

Had the same thing happen to me,
    Finished the Breach, all 4 units gather behind one car, enemy shoots it on turn 1 and they all die :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement