Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying LSE stock using Interactive Brokers - EUR to GBX conversion

Options
  • 15-04-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently opened an account with interactive Brokers. Base currency is EUR and account is funded with €x.

Trying to buy a stock listed in London using the website. Order value incl charges < €x.

I'm getting an error that seems to be because I have no sterling balance.

Do I need to convert the €x to GBX before doing a trade? How?

Had assumed that IB would simply do a conversion for me and reduce the EUR balance by appropriate amount.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

So needed to do a trade to Sell Eur and buy GBP to convert the EUR balance.

Took a bit of poking around to figure out how to do this. Far simpler with Degiro for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 retsillacm

Have a similar issue now myself, but with regards to US markets instead of UK. Care to give a quick once-over of how you did the conversion? Is it basically just doing a forex transaction, and then making your share purchase as per normal?

Curious what the fees are like.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

retsillacm wrote: »
    Have a similar issue now myself, but with regards to US markets instead of UK. Care to give a quick once-over of how you did the conversion? Is it basically just doing a forex transaction, and then making your share purchase as per normal?

Cheers

They’re closing the Irish site next month. Fees were very high too.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

sk8board wrote: »
    They’reclosing the Irish site next month. Fees were very high too.

Believe Interactive Investor is merging with their UK business. Not Interactive Broker.

retsillacm wrote: »

Cheers

To do a conversion on IB.

Click the TRADE button

Enter the symbol "EUR.USD" and hit return.

Click SELL ORDER and enter the amount of EURO to be sold.

If you click PREVIEW it will show the trade to be filled.

Click SUBMIT SELL ORDER if you are happy and it's executed immediately.

Your portfolio should then show the USD cash and any residual EURO cash as well.

For the FX I paid commission of €1.83 selling a few €k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 retsillacm

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Believe Interactive Investor is merging with their UK business. Not Interactive Broker.

To do a conversion on IB.

Click the TRADE button

Enter the symbol "EUR.USD" and hit return.

Click SELL ORDER and enter the amount of EURO to be sold.

If you click PREVIEW it will show the trade to be filled.

Click SUBMIT SELL ORDER if you are happy and it's executed immediately.

Your portfolio should then show the USD cash and any residual EURO cash as well.

For the FX I paid commission of €1.83 selling a few €k.
    Much appreciated - seems pretty painless.

And yeah, heart was in the mouth there for a second about the site closing! Literally just transferred my positions out of US based broker yesterday to IB. But sweet, thanks agin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement