Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Drury St car park next please!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The Arnotts car park is being reduced from 370 to 225 spaces.

Dublin City Council owns Drury Street, Dawson Street and the massive Ilac car park (1000 spaces). With enough pressure, they could be forced to divest from it. Or, at least, replace some spaces with cycling facilities like Drury Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sadly the plans for the redeveloped Moira House include an underground car park:(:(

wakka12 wrote: »
    Sadly the plans for the redeveloped Moira House include an underground car park:(:(
    Where are you seeing that? I'm only seeing a bike storage mentioned in the planning docs.

obcFgDM.png?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 celtcia

Segregated bike lanes yes or no?

image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/world-cities-turn-their-streets-over-to-walkers-and-cyclists

Be good to see this happen here and let some of the temporary changes become permanent.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/world-cities-turn-their-streets-over-to-walkers-and-cyclists

Be good to see this happen here and let some of the temporary changes become permanent.

Owen Keegan says he doesn't see the need.

There's some momentum gathering behind it in Dublin City Council now. Both Fine Gael and Greens have already written to the CEO asking him to implement temporary measures for pedestrians and cyclists. Labour coming on board too. I'd encourage people to write to their local reps now.

https://twitter.com/djlonergan/status/1249739492384219136?s=20

Two articles about temporary measures today. Pressure is mounting.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0414/1130415-coronavirus-travel/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/pressure-on-council-to-reallocate-traffic-lanes-to-cyclists-and-walkers-1.4228538

Owen Keegan still maintaining the same position as last week by saying there's no citywide problem and that the problem is restricted to outside supermarket queues.

https://twitter.com/RayMcAdam/status/1250029483710648320?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If nothing else, a directly elected mayor would at the very least stop us having to deal with Owen Keegan in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

MJohnston wrote: »
    If nothing else, a directly elected mayor would at the very least stop us having to deal with Owen Keegan in the future.
    Unless Owen Keegan got elected mayor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Unless Owen Keegan got elected mayor

At least that would be our own fault . Currently we have out of touch Owen who want to cut down all the trees and put cars everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

At least that would be our own fault . Current we have out of touch Owen who want to cut down all the trees and put cars everywhere

No he doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

donvito99 wrote: »
    No he doesn't?

He said he’d rather get rid of all the trees than deal with compensation claims. Obviously he wasn’t being entirely serious, I guess, but it’s still a silly comment either way.

MJohnston wrote: »
    He said he’d rather get rid of all the trees than deal with compensation claims. Obviously he wasn’t being entirely serious, I guess, but it’s still a silly comment either way.

Excatly his entire MO and that of DCC is to cut costs to the detriment of Dublin.

Antisocial behavour somewhere ? Pull out anything nice in the area!

Trees unrooting some pavements? Cut them down.

Teens hanging in a laneway ? Block it off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Excatly his entire MO and that of DCC is to cut costs to the detriment of Dublin.

Antisocial behavour somewhere ? Pull out anything nice in the area!

Trees unrooting some pavements? Cut them down.

Teens hanging in a laneway ? Block it off

I'll never believe anything I hear about Owen Keegan because I've heard everything about Owen Keegan i.e. he's both pro and anti cyclist, pro and anti motorist, pro and anti etc etc. This seems to suggest that he's doing the job adequately.

And I've always thought that those saying Owen Keegan's either going too far or not doing enough probably doesn't appreciate what the role of the City Manager is which is answering to local politicians and delivering what they have resolved for him and the Council as a whole to do.

donvito99 wrote: »
    I'll never believe anything I hear about Owen Keegan because I've heard everything about Owen Keegan i.e. he's both pro and anti cyclist, pro and anti motorist, pro and anti etc etc. This seems to suggest that he's doing the job adequately.

And I've always thought that those saying Owen Keegan's either going too far or not doing enough probably doesn't appreciate what the role of the City Manager is which is answering to local politicians and delivering what they have resolved for him and the Council as a whole to do.

Many councilors would argue that he/ the coucil do their Owen (see what I did there) thing and they barely get to direct it. Case in point footpath widening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

New York City Council have overruled the Mayor's decision not to bother doing anything, and are now forcing him, by law, to create miles of extra space for cyclists and pedestrians across NYC.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/04/17/breaking-council-big-dogs-de-blasio-will-create-miles-of-open-streets/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Seriously frustrating to see all these cities doing positive things for pedestrians and cyclists, while many of our local authorities do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 celtcia

Seriously frustrating to see all these cities doing positive things for pedestrians and cyclists, while many of our local authorities do nothing.

What ideas to improve things do you have?

celtcia wrote: »
    What ideas to improve things do you have?

All multilane roads should have a lane removed and a cycle lane and jogway installed . Remove on street parking and loading bays. A massive clamp down on illegal and footpath parking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭blackbox

All multilane roads should have a lane removed and a cycle lane and jogway installed . Remove on street parking and loading bays. A massive clamp down on illegal and footpath parking

I have some sympathy for cycle lanes, but jogways have to be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What's the point in more lanes for bikes and pedestrians? I've walked around Dublin a few times during the lockdown and it's empty, also cycled to office a couple of times. Cars are speeding faster is all I've noticed, but there's far less of them.

blackbox wrote: »

If we can have road space for polluting boxes, we can have road space for those wanting to keep fit.

What's the point in more lanes for bikes and pedestrians? I've walked around Dublin a few times during the lockdown and it's empty, also cycled to office a couple of times. Cars are speeding faster is all I've noticed, but there's far less of them.

Because it's not just about during the lockdown.

The current restrictions on movement will be reduced in the coming weeks. Social distancing will remain in place until there's a vaccine. Which could be over a year from now.

By June, the city centre will have increased footfall, narrow footpaths, crowded bus stops and crowded buses. We know it's coming. Why not do the intelligent thing now? We can't have crowded public spaces, we can't have crowded public transport. We need wider footpaths, pedestrianised streets and more bike lanes to offer people an alternative to public transport. That's why all the other cities are doing it. Because they've thought it through beyond today and next week.

We will probably end up having to scramble to reduce infection when we literally knew what was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Peregrine wrote: »
    We can't have crowded public spaces, we can't have crowded public transport. We need wider footpaths, pedestrianised streets and more bike lanes to offer people an alternative to public transport. That's why all the other cities are doing it. Because they've thought it through beyond today and next week.

We will probably end up having to scramble to reduce infection when we literally knew what was going to happen.

Right but private cars are and have always been priority in Dublin and Ireland. There would be uproar if their space was limited. Can't see it happening here.

Right but private cars are and have always been priority in Dublin and Ireland. There would be uproar if their space was limited. Can't see it happening here.

Not with that attitude. Authorities have the biggest trump card possible: public health. It trumps parking every day of the week. We don't live in normal times. We've shut down most businesses and you can be fined for being caught on a non-essential journey. All in the name of public health with little resistance. These are things that would have resulted in a revolution three months ago. Removing one lane for public health isn't what's going to cause uproar.

We're not the only city that's been prioritising motor traffic. Half of the cities that took radical temporary measures are American cities with worse car dominance than us.

City centre roads and parking spaces are empty because most people who use them don't live anywhere near them. DCC could easily make changes now without motorists even noticing, let alone give out.

blackbox wrote: »

Why? A single traffic lane is wide enough to a cycle lane and joggers or faster walkers

• Advertisement

Always claims of uproars , yet when it happens there is only a wimper from the absolutely selfish

Advertisement