Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Australia 2020

Options
  • 11-10-2019 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

New judges announced

Hard to feel excited about the show now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah I'll give them a chance. It will still be a group of likable contestants and strong production values.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Andy is a solid choice.
    He’s probably the biggest masterchef success story. He’s down to earth, likeable, and a very very good chef.

I’m not sure who the girl is. Jocko is a highly decorated Australian chef. But I don’t know if he’s the right style for masterchef.

Heston won't be back.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/reality-tv/celebrity-chef-heston-blumenthal-has-been-booted-from-masterchef/news-story/12c07b06aa9963835765dce644538a42

I wasn't a fan of him and hated when they devoted a full week to him. I know there are others that will miss him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Heston won't be back.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/reality-tv/celebrity-chef-heston-blumenthal-has-been-booted-from-masterchef/news-story/12c07b06aa9963835765dce644538a42

I wasn't a fan of him and hated when they devoted a full week to him. I know there are others that will miss him though.

I'll miss him, but sure he's on Crazy Delicious as a main judge on Channel 4 at the moment, and no doubt he has plenty other TV work lined up.

Awful about the restaurants underpaying staff, wasn't a Jamie Oliver one in trouble recently for similar issues (also went out of business)?

jester77 wrote: »
    New judges announced

Hard to feel excited about the show now

I felt the same when the judges were lost.
    But just found out that the contestants are going t obe made up of 24 previous contestants (Reynold, Tessa, Poh). Pretty clever.

new thread time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Mellor wrote: »
    I felt the same when the judges were lost.
    But just found out that the contestants are going t obe made up of 24 previous contestants (Reynold, Tessa, Poh). Pretty clever.

new thread time?

Really? Fed up now of rehashing old contestants - Survivor, MKR, The Block, etc
    They must get thousands of applications from people to pick from.

Dovies wrote: »
    Really? Fed up now of rehashing old contestants - Survivor, MKR, The Block, etc
    They must get thousands of applications from people to pick from.
    Most of those shows are fabricated and a bit crap.

One of the parts of MasterChef I like over other shows is that it's genuinely about the cooking, the standard is very high. And over the years you get to know judges, guests chefs, past contestants pretty well.
    Bring back old contestants, many of whom are now professionals means the standard is going to be very high. And you've already established an awareness of many of them.

I'm much more interested seeing some of my favourites back than 24 strangers. It's also a good way to make connection with the audience after the judges leaving.

Mod: I moved the last few posts from the 2019 thread and made a 2020 thread.

Getting close now - starts on April 13th. :)
    I wonder if the whole thing has finished filming? If not, I think COVID-19 might delay the start (or interrupt the season, mid-flow)

Mr E wrote: »
    Getting close now - starts on April 13th. :)
    I wonder if the whole thing has finished filming? If not, I think COVID-19 might delay the start (or interrupt the season, mid-flow)

I'd say it's definitely been filmed.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd say it's definitely been filmed.

Oh I hope it has!

Dovies wrote: »
    Oh I hope it has!

It's always filmed in advance. And the cases in Victoria haven't been that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not so psyched for this season. They are also bringing back previous contestants to try and recover from losing the hosts.
    Will be interesting to see how it goes without them.

Kicked off tonight. Standard was obviously through the roof

Have it on the way down to watch later, can't wait now as I had no idea about the format this year until today. Changes to the living arraignments this year too I believe. They are living in two's and have access to phones and can see family at weekends which I suspect was the only way they could convince some to take part.

Ramsey carried the judges through that, will be interesting to see how it continues next week without him, although having Katy Perry on doesn't bode well. Very sappy episode and some amazing cooking but it lacks the amateur home cook magic that made it great to watch.

Poh being there as a contestant annoyed me. Doesn't need it.

EDIT: Actually there are 3 or 4 who don't need to be there.

Poh being there as a contestant annoyed me. Doesn't need it.

EDIT: Actually there are 3 or 4 who don't need to be there.

Define need to be there?

Reynald runs a successful dessert bar, and has recently opened a restaurant - I'd guess he try to show that side more this season.
    I don't think he needs to be there. But it's obviously boost for him if he wins this season. And I'd be more interested having him there than some random for S7 who wrote a cook book and went back to working at a bank.

Guys, it's an all-stars season. Survivor Australia just had one, and it was one of the best seasons of survivor I've ever seen (including 40 US seasons).

Give it a chance.

Took me a while to recognise some of them. Reece has lost 35KG and shaved his head!!!

• Advertisement

Just finished the first episode.

A lot of people thought the show wouldn't be good without George, Garry and Matt, but the new judges are excellent (especially Andy).

Uncertainty has been washed away. Glad this show is back. :)

Episode 2....
    Chris
    looked like he wanted to punch Gordon in the face. Bad day in the kitchen!
    Poh
    looked rattled too.

Great episode. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Just finished the first episode.

A lot of people thought the show wouldn't be good without George, Garry and Matt, but the new judges are excellent (especially Andy).

Uncertainty has been washed away. Glad this show is back. :)

It's doing what it's always done really and being about the contestants and the cooking and shunning other reality TV tropes. I think getting Katie Perry there after 12 years of using her music is cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Sorry if it's completely obvious but where can I watch it I can't see the new series on sky 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

What Popsy said.
    It usually airs on W but no sign of it in the planner.

What Popsy said.
    It usually airs on W but no sign of it in the planner.

Episodes are only airing in Australia this week. I'd assume people are downloading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So with them pulling out all the stops, paying to bring back all these ex contestants who have jobs businesses and families then add katie perry and whoever else they will have showing up on top of it, how much do you think all that cost vs what george gary and matt were asking for?

VinLieger wrote: »
    So with them pulling out all the stops, paying to bring back all these ex contestants who have jobs businesses and families then add katie perry and whoever else they will have showing up on top of it, how much do you think all that cost vs what george gary and matt were asking for?

Probably covered by the sponsors. Next week will be interesting without Ramsey, he did a good job this week. The judges are not too bad, Andy has charisma, but the chemistry that the 3 lads had is what made the show special.

Probably covered by the sponsors. Next week will be interesting without Ramsey, he did a good job this week. The judges are not too bad, Andy has charisma, but the chemistry that the 3 lads had is what made the show special.

The three last had 11 years to build that chemistry. Can expect anyone to match that in a season.
    But agree, Andy has charisma. Just a genuinely really nice bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed so its probably more and maybe even multiples more to do what, make a worse show? because recreating that chemistry built over 11 yearz will be impossible.

As you day the 3 lads were a massive part of what made the show so good, the format and culture are key as well but it all revolved around them.

Im only on episode 2 but so far im not a fan of Melissa, theres nothing natural about her it all just seems a bit forced

Advertisement