Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stroller recommendation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Saw this one in store but didnt fancy them but then that is just styles and whatever you like..I found the maxi cozis where such a waste of money and spent the money on a good car seat that would last longer.. Have ye actually gone into the baby shops and tried out a few different buggies? That is the best why to do it, go to a place with a good selection and take them for a spin around the shop. Dont even look at the prices just see what they are like and then work things from there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The 299 doesn't include the isofix base, which is 110 extra on top.

It looks better than the amazon one.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Milly33 wrote: »
    Saw this one in store but didnt fancy them but then that is just styles and whatever you like..I found the maxi cozis where such a waste of money and spent the money on a good car seat that would last longer.. Have ye actually gone into the baby shops and tried out a few different buggies? That is the best why to do it, go to a place with a good selection and take them for a spin around the shop. Dont even look at the prices just see what they are like and then work things from there.

Bit difficult at the moment! :D

for sure but depends on due date and all that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Thanks so much for the links. Really appreciate it.

You're welcome. When is your baby due?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

3rd week of July.
    michellie wrote: »
    You're welcome. When is your baby due?

Oh gosh.
    I read Isofix compatible in this one and assumed Isofix base is included. Will check more on Infababy now.
    awec wrote: »
    The 299 doesn't include the isofix base, which is 110 extra on top.

It looks better than the amazon one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

You’re prob as well budgeting separately for car seat and base and buggy. Even when you buy them together as a system they don’t give a greatly reduced price. The cost of the car seat is just included in the package. They are two separate pieces of kit at the end of the day.

Am I missing that isofix base is not included in the 3 in 1 travel system package?
    kandr10 wrote: »
    You’re prob as well budgeting separately for car seat and base and buggy. Even when you buy them together as a system they don’t give a greatly reduced price. The cost of the car seat is just included in the package. They are two separate pieces of kit at the end of the day.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some include the isofix base, but they will specify that. Honestly, I think if you're hoping to get a buggy and car seat and isofix base, then your budget is too low.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/pushchairs-and-strollers/travel-systems/ickle-bubba-stomp-v3-all-in-one-isofix-travel-system-car-seat-and-base/p/184292

this one includes the base and is reduced to €499.

Most isofix bases are between €100 and €150, then the seat is usually between €90 and €200 on top of that, depending on what sort of seat you go for. Bear in mind that the bases aren't interchangeable, ie maxicosi bases will only work for maxi cosi seats etc.

Depending on how much you'll be using the buggy, with baby stuff it can often be the case that if you buy cheap you buy twice. The travel system I had for my first baby did not stand the test of time, and when I had my second, I had to buy everything again. This time I went for the Uppababy Vista with a maxi cosi and base. It was expensive but it was totally worth it. We bought from Bella Baby and they let you pay in installments so we ordered it when I was about 16 weeks, and then paid a little bit every month and collected 2 weeks before the due date.

She's 2 now, we use the buggy every day and it's still as good as new. The isofix base was a godsend, I didn't have it first time round and I never realised how handy it is to just be able to clip it in and out of the car and not fiddle with seatbelts.

In your situation, it might be worth buying the seat and base new, then seeing can you pick up the pram second hand.

• Advertisement

I agree with above. I bought a very cheap package on a graco on my first which included a car seat but no base. It lasted 2 years and literally fell apart.
    I’m not sure if I need to buy a new pram (have the promise of one from a friend) but if I do I’ll be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Am I missing that isofix base is not included in the 3 in 1 travel system package?

If I were you I’d pick up a second hand buggy. You can find fabulous bargains and a lot are like new. Hi and get a bugaboo cameleon 3 or something. You can pick up entire travel systems for €300 if you look hard which include carseat and isofix. These are over €1300 new.

https://www.adverts.ie/19829029

Or you could pick up a lovely cam 3 for €200-250 and but a brand new car seat and isofix with your leftover money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would second all suggestions.

The Uppababy is expensive.But that said we got when our first was a newborn and we are on our third baby, (well, he is a toddler now) and it is still going strong - almost 6 years later.We had it out again today.It has weathered beaches, forests, carrying 2 kids (occasionally 2 and a 3rd on a buggy board), endless amounts of shopping stuffed into its basket, and being hauled in and out of I don't know how many cars.We briefly got a double Out and About second-hand when no.2 was 4 months, but that has been used since by 2 childminders.

I am not suggesting you need to go spend hundreds on an Uppababy specifically but I would definitely sit down and have a good think about your expectations, because spending a bit more could save you an awful lot in the long term.

Thank you for the useful link. Up until yesterday I didn't even know how these travel system work. No one in our friend circle or immediate family has a baby at the moment.

Now I understand what is isofix base, what is a car seat and the fact that isofix base + car seat are being sold as a single unit when children are above ~4 years. But for a newborn baby it's 2 different units if I am selecting a 3in1 travel system.

So at the moment I am also searching for a stroller only and looking separately for an isofix base + car seat for 0-3 years age group. I am also keeping in mind if the same isofix base could be used for kids above 3 years of age group.

Thanks everyone.
    Toots wrote: »
    Some include the isofix base, but they will specify that. Honestly, I think if you're hoping to get a buggy and car seat and isofix base, then your budget is too low.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/pushchairs-and-strollers/travel-systems/ickle-bubba-stomp-v3-all-in-one-isofix-travel-system-car-seat-and-base/p/184292

this one includes the base and is reduced to €499.

Most isofix bases are between €100 and €150, then the seat is usually between €90 and €200 on top of that, depending on what sort of seat you go for. Bear in mind that the bases aren't interchangeable, ie maxicosi bases will only work for maxi cosi seats etc.

Depending on how much you'll be using the buggy, with baby stuff it can often be the case that if you buy cheap you buy twice. The travel system I had for my first baby did not stand the test of time, and when I had my second, I had to buy everything again. This time I went for the Uppababy Vista with a maxi cosi and base. It was expensive but it was totally worth it. We bought from Bella Baby and they let you pay in installments so we ordered it when I was about 16 weeks, and then paid a little bit every month and collected 2 weeks before the due date.

She's 2 now, we use the buggy every day and it's still as good as new. The isofix base was a godsend, I didn't have it first time round and I never realised how handy it is to just be able to clip it in and out of the car and not fiddle with seatbelts.

In your situation, it might be worth buying the seat and base new, then seeing can you pick up the pram second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

My two cents for whats it worth. A second hand uppababy is a great buy. Amazing to push and steer. Ideal for city living if you are not putting it in and out of a boot all day as it is a heavy frame.
    For lifestyle that involves buggy in and out of the boot the out and about nipper is your only man. Fabulous buggy. We have the double and its like pushing air!
    Don't get hung up on the 3 in 1 travel system as you should avoid using the car seat as a buggy as much as possible.
    Had our little girl in ortho and was strictly told car seat is for journey a to b only. Not great for their spinal development to be wheeled around the shops in one unnecessarily.
    We had the adapters and probably used them twice but again thats city living and don't use the car much.
    Buy the best second hand buggy your budget allows and a new car seat. Can get fabulous bargains on adverts. Also can get them professionally cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

annoyedgal wrote: »
    My two cents for whats it worth. A second hand uppababy is a great buy. Amazing to push and steer. Ideal for city living if you are not putting it in and out of a boot all day as it is a heavy frame.
    For lifestyle that involves buggy in and out of the boot the out and about nipper is your only man. Fabulous buggy. We have the double and its like pushing air!
    Don't get hung up on the 3 in 1 travel system as you should avoid using the car seat as a buggy as much as possible.
    Had our little girl in ortho and was strictly told car seat is for journey a to b only. Not great for their spinal development to be wheeled around the shops in one unnecessarily.
    We had the adapters and probably used them twice but again thats city living and don't use the car much.
    Buy the best second hand buggy your budget allows and a new car seat. Can get fabulous bargains on adverts. Also can get them professionally cleaned.

Agree with this although I’ve the uppababy and lug it in and out of the boot a bit and it’s grand. I only ever used the car seat on the buggy if baby was asleep in it and I knew I’d only be doing a quick shop. If I knew I’d be more than 30 mins they went into the buggy seat even if it meant waking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

I have one and its great quality for the price. I have used it for my first and will use it again for my second. Only downside is that it runs small. My first was a big boy so was out of the car seat by 8 months and is too big for stroller bit now at 2.

Besides that I would totally recommend it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, I think you might benefit from ringing one of the baby supply stores to talk about car seats. I know a lot of them are still offering a phone/online consultation service. If you can get in touch, I found Tony Kealys and Bella Baby to be very helpful.

If you want a car seat that goes from 0-3 years, they are not the sort of ones that you lift in and out of the car - they stay in there. They are one single unit, and the base does not detach from the seat. Something like the Maxi Cosi AxissFix Plus goes from newborn up to approx 4 years (it goes by height, so you may get less than 4 years if you have a tall child) I've got that in my car and I think it was about €480ish. It spins towards you for when you're putting the baby in, then spins either forward or rearward facing, depending on the age of the child. If you're going for a seat that stays in the car, the ones that spin are very handy because the baby will be facing you for putting in and taking out, so you can see what you're doing more easily. You can get ones a bit cheaper than that (the rotating ones tend to be on the pricier side) and also keep an eye for sales because you can sometimes get a good discount off seats if they're on special offer.

The car seats that you can lift out and attach to your stroller go from birth to about 15 months (again, it'll depend on the height of your baby) They can be used on their own and secured in the car with a seat belt, or you can buy the isofix base separately and then you don't have to use the seatbelt to secure it in the car - just clip in and out of the base.

From what I can remember, there were a couple of isofix bases that could be used with the baby car seat that you take out of the car, and then with a bigger car seat for older babies and toddlers - one that comes to mind is the Maxi-cosi 3 way fix base which goes with the Maxi Cosi Pebble Pro car seat for newborn to 15 months, then the Pearl Pro seat for when they're bigger (from 6 months to approx 4 years) I just had a quick look online there and for that set up, the base is €239, the newborn seat is €229 and the toddler seat is €259 (could probably be gotten for a bit less if you shop around). I think another brand that I looked at when I was expecting was BeSafe (I think the prices were similar) and they had a similar set up - a base that took the newborn seat and then a toddler seat, all sold separately.

I had an isofix base for mine and loved the convenience of it. However, a seat on an isofix base is no safer than a seat that is properly installed with the seatbelt. If you trust that the people who will be taking the seat in and out will do so properly then the base may not be essential.

I would go back to the drawing board. Sit down with himself and put down what ye actually want in a buggy, do ye want something compact, i know tis early days but consider if ye are going to have more kids.. And be aware that there is an endless amount of crap to be honest that they tell you, you need nowadays and you dont..

There are so many options re maxi cozis and isofix think about them properly. I would think if are planning on just one kid, borrow one from someone dont waste the money on something you are'nt going to use for that long.Even buy second hand from a trusted source...Save yer money and spend it on a good car seat that will last longer..

To us, the first car seat we had was got from a friend it was not a match for the buggy so we had to take them out of the car seat and into the buggy. It is'nt as horrendous as made out to be. Second time round we got a loan of the maxi cozi and isofix this one did clip into the buggy and id say i could count the amount of times we used it.. Bare in mind, when looking at them that you are not suppose to let the baby in the maxi cozis for i think they say 40mins now, so technical you would have to take the baby out to stretch.. I found them horrible to be honest he never looked comfy in them..

Buggy then right pick the style which I think ye have really and then think about the extras. Like the bassinet do ye plan on letting the baby sleep in the bassinet part? If so go with it, but if not do not bother with them.. They are very handy in early days for naps downstairs or if you have one cot. We had a crib upstairs which was used for night and then we had the bassinet in the buggy for during the day.. If ye have a moses basket and a crib then there is no need for the bassinet.Had both of them in the small car seat for about 3mths and then moved them onto the Joie Stages..

Extras then, rain cover great if included but if not, do ye really need one. if ye are avid walkers go for it but nine times out of ten if it is raining that bad you arent out walking..
    Foot muffs are great too, see if you can get one included (water proof)...

Might be worth signing up to a Which account online. I think it is free for the first time, you can pay extra then to see all reviews.. We found them great for going through items..

• Advertisement

think too budget wise that a lot of people are going to want to get ye something, so could suggest putting money towards the system..

Also check the thread on here on car seats. Basically everything you need to know about car seats is on there.

I couldn't find this thread. Is it possible to send me the link?
    kandr10 wrote: »
    Also check the thread on here on car seats. Basically everything you need to know about car seats is on there.

Bought one of these recently, hasn't been used yet, next few weeks id say, put it together, feels sturdy, easy to use car seat with the seat belt, whole system feels sturdy and well built.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KinderKraft-Moov-Travel-System-Navy/dp/B07KX3VFJV/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=kinderkraft+travel+system&qid=1587047726&sr=8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I couldn't find this thread. Is it possible to send me the link?

Here you go https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056754865/108/#post112868517

In relation to car seats, it isn’t a one size fits all kind of thing. Some car seats are quite sloped and as a result isofix aren’t suitable for younger babies. They can result in head flip which is dangerous up to six months. This is especially true for those isofix seats that are marketed as suitable from newborn to 4 years.

Rearfacing until at least 4 is 5 times safer than forward facing and some children will outgrow those spin seats much earlier than this due to height or weight. My advice would be to see the travel system and car seat as separate purchases and get advice from the likes of Tony Kealys for a car seat. Tony Kealys staff are trained by the RSA so are particularly good on car seat safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

https://www.trendybaby.co.uk/uppababy-minu-compact-stroller-from-birth-kit-jake-(black)?search=Minu

OP, I have this as a second stroller in the car. I bought it last year, because I needed one small buggy in the car that I could use for either my baby or my toddler. Anyhow, I got it for the same price as it is in this ad (half price), and it is well well worth the money. It’s very sturdy for a stroller, really easy to push with one hand. I never got the from birth kit, I didn’t need it. I did get the maxi cosi adaptors though. It would be a good option at your budget.

Wouldn’t be great for a beach though, but a lot of the ones you’re looking at won’t be.
    Edited to ad- I know with the car seat it’s a bit outside your budget, but I just said I’d mention it when I saw the offer on again

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Is the city jogger mini with carrycot attachment a good option here? Seems like the carry cot is only used for the first few months anyway so is it better to focus on having a good stroller?

Thank you everyone.

So we have increased our budget to 600 euros excluding the car seat. Everyone suggested to invest in a better stroller now as we want another child in the near future.
    Do you think I can get uppababy or something sturdy for 600 euros?
    Any links will be appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would definitely look on done deal for that.You would amazed at what people sell practically brand new.Put the Uppababy into donedeal and see what pops back at you to get an idea.

Sorry edit to add, there is an Uppababy Cruz.It is a model in between the Vista and Minu.Might be closer to your budget.Friends have it and it is very good.

Cleverclogs.ie are the Irish distributor for Uppababy.I often contact them directly for queries if I need anything for the buggy.They are very nice, based in Dublin.

Sorry I know I am harping on about uppababy.But I am sure you could get an equally good system for that money.(just haven't time to check for links, sorry!)

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone.

So we have increased our budget to 600 euros excluding the car seat. Everyone suggested to invest in a better stroller now as we want another child in the near future.
    Do you think I can get uppababy or something sturdy for 600 euros?
    Any links will be appreciated.

You should definitely get one second hand for that. If you want to use it as a double in the future I would suggest trying to get one that has the extra rumble seat (speaking of uppababy here) or else make sure that any extras you might need when using it as a double (mainly adapters and the rumble seat) will be available for the model you’re buying.

Advertisement