Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurley Recommendations

Options
  • 14-04-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations on a hurley after I've just broken my old one.

I'm not a player but I enjoy going and having a puck around. Probably looking for one with a tin band/bands as I've just broken my old one by it cracking in half right down the middle.

I'm looking for 38". Can anyone point me in the direction of a good hurely maker.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Ian OB

I'm not a player but I enjoy going and having a puck around. Probably looking for one with a tin band/bands as I've just broken my old one by it cracking in half right down the middle.

I'm looking for 38". Can anyone point me in the direction of a good hurely maker.

Thanks a lot.

Given that we don't know where you're based its hard to point you towards a good manufacturer.

However, as you seem to have split it up the shaft it's certainly fixable. And there are any amount of youtube videos on hurley manufacture & repair.

I recommend giving it a go yourself, it'll pass an evening or two out in the shed if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Thanks a lot.

Where are you based. I don't know any who would regularly make a 38". 36" would be the largest made nowadays. You used to get 37" hurls years ago but haven't seen any in ages. What height are you?

Also don't put a band on it. All that does is hold the 2 bits together when it breaks. I've fixed plenty of hurls. To put a band on properly you are looking at 8-10 nails hammered through the hurl. Just weakens it and invariably it often cracks on a line straight through where a nail was.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

O Connors in North Cork are very good. They posted me over 3 very good Hurley's. I'm in Devon. Grip fitted and a few good sliotars

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Star hurls in Kilkenny. Excellent hurls, bit on the heavy side though.
    I got one of those Cultec hurls, grand for pucking around. Different feel to it from an ash hurl - not as much vibration off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Sorry lads, should've mentioned I'm based in Dublin.

I'm 6'2 but after doing a bit of reading myself you're probably right about not needing a 38".

I would try and repair my hurley but it's literally in 2 separate pieces, don't think there's much point in trying to repair :P

Are Torpey Hurleys as good as the website claims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I'm 6'2 but after doing a bit of reading myself you're probably right about not needing a 38".

I would try and repair my hurley but it's literally in 2 separate pieces, don't think there's much point in trying to repair :P

Yeah 36" is plenty big for you. I'm 6' and use a 35".

Torpeys are grand. It's all a bit subjective with hurls as people with have preferences with regards the style and weight. I haven't got one off Torpeys in a few years. They used to supply the shops a good bit and those are best avoided. The ones in their own shop were better. At the end of the day the quality it comes down to quality of the ash used.

In Dublin you have 65hurls.com but in current circumstances just as easy to order from anywhere in Ireland.

If the one you have is broken on the boss it easily repairable if you know someone repairing them in your local club and if doing it properly with the right glue will be stronger than the original hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd agree with the other chap. The Clare lads swear by Torpeys but I hated them and much preferred Peter Flanagan hurleys in Waterford. Whatever you do don't order any hurley from a sports shop, only order directly or better still go to the hurley maker in person once the restrictions cease. The shop ones are rubbish.

I'm 6 foot and I used a 34 but really that comes down to your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Torpeys are nice but very overpriced at this stage

€39.99 for a goalkeeper hurley, most others in the €31 range

Plenty decent sites to order from Bourke Sports, Declan Barron Hurleys, Brian Walsh, Peter Flanagan

You won’t go wrong with any of them. 36” is plenty, lads over 6 foot are hardly using more than 35” these days

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

A 38 inch? Are you sure it is not a slash hook you are after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Couple of good ones in Enniscorthy.
    Declan Barron https://www.declanbarronhurleys.ie, has a hell of a cv of clients as you can see from his website.
    Brian Walsh https://www.brianwalshhurleysandsports.ie/collections/hurleys

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

The best one is the one you feel most comfortable with.

Not sure if they're still making hurleys as it's been a while since I picked one up but my favorite by a long shot was made by B. Barcoe & Sons. Decided to grab a couple Star sticks last year & have been really disappointed. they feel like baseball bats. My 33" Star is nearly 50% heavier than the 34" hurls from Phelans in Ballyhale and same w/the 34" from B. Barcoe. I'm in the states so have to get what they send me as opposed to going by a shop & having a feel, although I did pick up the two I mentioned while in ROI but Star hurley's were ordered($40 shipping!) so my opinion might be a bit off but more often than not I leave the Star sticks in the bag. The bulk doesn't seem to translate to more power or distance. quite the opposite in my experience. One feels like a precision instrument, the others just blunt tools in my experience*
    For anyone living where it gets cold, real cold not Irish cold, get a Cultec. Once temps get around 20-25 F the ash cracks like glass. Also with the extreme heat it's nice to be able to keep it in the car w/out worries which can't be done w/ash. Not if you want it to last anyway. I only mention it because I like to always have something w/me in case I run into friends or see a nice wall.

*limited compared to most of you, just my $00.02

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Are Canning hurleys any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just out of curiosity has anyone found a carrying strap for carrying a couple of hurls over your back, with a gear bag etc.

Like on a bicycle. I know I could knock something up up something up with a bit of velcro and strap would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

Thanks a lot.

I would say 38" is too long, I use a size 35" and I'm 6 foot 4. I bought a hurley off O brien hurleys in Tipperary as I liked the Tipp style hurley and I ouldn't get them in Cork. They also have loads of other styles like Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny and Dublin so there is plenty of choice.

Here is their website. https://www.obrienhurleys.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

beauf wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity has anyone found a carrying strap for carrying a couple of hurls over your back, with a gear bag etc.

Like on a bicycle. I know I could knock something up up something up with a bit of velcro and strap would be handy.

The bags that goalkeepers have might do the job. They can carry plenty of hurleys and you can wear it over your shoulder like a handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

The bags that goalkeepers have might do the job. They can carry plenty of hurleys and you can wear it over your shoulder like a handbag.

https://mycrosport.com/product/hurley-bag/

I have found that the coating comes off(after some use) and sticks to my hurls if at all wet or sweaty but still gets the job done. Has hand holds & shoulder strap. I also made one from a yoga mat carrying strap that worked well.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some good ideas there, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob2015

beauf wrote: »
    Some good ideas there, thanks.

Checkout Butlers Handcrafted Hurleys

www.kilkennyhurleys.ie

Advertisement