Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭RINO87

Rory from Elephant self Storage is back! Poor chap must have taken a bit of a turn, sounds fierce shook!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RINO87 wrote: »
    Rory from Elephant self Storage is back! Poor chap must have taken a bit of a turn, sounds fierce shook!

He's insistent you can't stay in the rooms. Not sure if he's trying to be funny or someone actually attempted to live in one.

Bounce definitely gone from his bungee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just this morning there was an advert on Radio 1 for Irish Ferries and visiting France this Spring....really?

Followed by that ad for god knows what, but you know the one where the boss brings in the employee and says 'listen, we're going to have to let you go' for leaving some lights on or some such nonesense, found it a bit insensitive giving how many people have in recent days been sat down and told they're being let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

"We probably should"
    "yeah, I think"
    "what"
    "but if we didn't....or didn't not..in I suppose"
    "its definietly.....the thing, I think"

What in the name of good god are those pair talking about? Its VHI or something, but it reallly makes no sense. I know they want to be genuine by using real people, but I get more confused the more I listen to it...

100% on this - it’s total drivel. Incredible it would then get Made into an ad

Ads that raid the BBC sound effects archive, fecking cars starting, wedding bells..

There's one sound effect salad one with a random angry barking dog stuck in the middle for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

John Brennan ad for Jr and Leaving Cert test material...... Getting students ready for their exams in 2021:D

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Next of kin...

Strangest set up ever for an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Next of kin...

Strangest set up ever for an ad.

Yeah it’s weird

Why did the next of kin cross the road?
    To get to the other next of kin....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭RINO87

The ads seem to have dried up completely on radio 1 today... breaks are just promos for other shows

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭chosen1

The one now for Free Now Business annoys me every time, simply because he says 'the ride here was good'

I've never, ever heard anyone in this country use 'the ride' in this context that wasn't American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

*Ring ring*

This is Donal from the Island! We urgently need supplies!
    Si Senor, medical supplies?

Yes, two dozen boxes of PPE, bog roll and hand sanitizer.

:D:p

Actually, speaking of ring ring, that eircode advert! The operator asks him to confirm the number and yer man doesnt! Then the best part is where the operator confirms the address and in the background you hear and ambulance siren as if its immediately heading off to Kil fecking mac or wherever; funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Genghis

chosen1 wrote: »
    The one now for Free Now Business annoys me every time, simply because he says 'the ride here was good'

I've never, ever heard anyone in this country use 'the ride' in this context that wasn't American.

You speak my mind. I use free now but never feel it's ever good value, even when expensed. Taxi fares are a punishment for poor planning ) time management. That and the other 'Mind your business' one seem to be pretty much the only add on Newstalk these days.

Yeah it’s weird

Why did the next of kin cross the road?
    To get to the other next of kin....

Your next of kin could be an utter cnut you would not want next nor near your affairs or bank account!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Brendan gleeson could have easily inserted an "And" between Raheny and Blanchardstown in the st frances hospice ad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,925 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RINO87 wrote: »
    The ads seem to have dried up completely on radio 1 today... breaks are just promos for other shows

.... and the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

2FM...........The "Sind" of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The dreadful "This is your television talking" and while I know the Ad is probably to cover all markets it's the laddish English accent that makes me grind my teeth - and I'm a Brit! Irish voices for Ads broadcast in Ireland pleaaase!! The Skoda Ads with a British Mr. Kipling type voice by an Irishman are nearly as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Dacia ads are still running frequently.

As "tips to lighten your commute", they are a bit tone deaf during lockdown.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The dreadful "This is your television talking" and while I know the Ad is probably to cover all markets it's the laddish English accent that makes me grind my teeth - and I'm a Brit! Irish voices for Ads broadcast in Ireland pleaaase!! The Skoda Ads with a British Mr. Kipling type voice by an Irishman are nearly as bad.

I think dubbing for this market smacks of petty Irish people not wanting to buy from a company with an English accented ad. I hope we have moved beyond that. I'm almost sure the Skoda man is Irish, although unkind people may describe the accent as "West Brit".

What's even more ridiculous are tv ads pretending to be set in Ireland when we can tell they clearly aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

The dreadful "This is your television talking" and while I know the Ad is probably to cover all markets it's the laddish English accent that makes me grind my teeth -
    The ad is pretty mediocre, but is it not the same chap on the TV version of it, which is quite funny in fairness?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

plodder wrote: »
    The ad is pretty mediocre, but is it not the same chap on the TV version of it, which is quite funny in fairness?

It is. Its quite a well known actor/comedian; its not some random V/O.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

plodder wrote: »
    Robert Webb, of (David)Mitchell and Webb fame. Peep Show being their biggest hit. He also had a show on BBC Three which pointed out movie continuity gaffs.
    But I digress, the TV ad about "popping it in" is rubbish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

flazio wrote: »
    Robert Webb, of (David)Mitchell and Webb fame. Peep Show being their biggest hit. He also had a show on BBC Three which pointed out movie continuity gaffs.
    But I digress, the TV ad about "popping it in" is rubbish as well.
    I have simpler tastes then :pac:

Here's the full version of it. I think the edited one is actually better.

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/10/07/robert-webb-stars-the-personification-rubbish-tv-now-tv-spot

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

The covid 19 ads are so annoying with yer one that over enunciates every word particularly when she says "cocooning".

The covid 19 ads are so annoying with yer one that over enunciates every word particularly when she says "cocooning".

She has a lovely voice

Cocooning, from the govt who gave you Family Hubs and Direct Provision. Cutesy words for sh1tty concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

The topsecurity.ie ad on Newstalk, mobile gardening/guarding .... ah jayses :( :mad:

Both supermarkets Dunnes Stores and Tesco have changed their back ground music to a generic upbeat track. Seems to be when they have a special offer or something. Any reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Just heard an awful irritating ad on the radio this morning for "normal people" tv series. Starts with a woman phoning a bloke and initially sounds like one of those ads for domestic abuse - i half expect some fellow to start banging on the door shouting "who the f*ck are ye talkin' ta...", and it goes on with lots of stilted conversation and awkward pauses. This ad seems to drag on for ages and is not a good advertisment for this show.

• Advertisement

Manuel wrote: »
    The topsecurity.ie ad on Newstalk, mobile gardening/guarding .... ah jayses :( :mad:

The return of the tiresome stupid man/smart woman schtick.

Advertisement