Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Rugby on RTE

• 14-04-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0414/1130468-rte-sport-to-screen-classic-matches-and-events/
    Starting on RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player at 9.30pm on Thursday 16 April, RTÉ Sport Classics will run every Thursday for 10 weeks.

Here are the rugby highlights.

7 May
    Rugby - Italy v Ireland, Women's Six Nations, 2013 (17.03.13) 

21 May
    Rugby - Ireland v New Zealand, 2013 (24.11.13) 

18 June 
    Rugby - Ireland v New Zealand, 2018 

I am intrigued most by the  Ireland v New Zealand, 2013 (24.11.13). I have no recollection of playing New Zealand that year.
    Naturally you would expect that New Zealand might have won but if it's close you would expect us to win a home game, given the quality of squad at the time.

Anyway, if RTE are showing it years later, and every other international game is an Irish win, you would have to assume we won.

Really looking forward to the opportunity to re-watch these classic wins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Odd selection. The women's game, fair enough they won the Grand Slam but the title was secured at home the week against France who finished second. The 2013 NZ game is just a f*cking weird choice. Who wants to watch their team lose?

So many games they could put on. The 2009 match against France. England in 2007. The record defeat of SA in the Aviva. The 2011 RWC game against Australia or France in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    The 2013 NZ game is just a f*cking weird choice. Why pick a game that never happened?

I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Speaking of classic rugby, the browser bizarrely redirected me back to some 17 year old threads there.

Some interesting reading!

I particularly like the "young Celtic League hotshots" thread. The poster reckons Eoin Reddan is one to watch and reminds them of a young Matt Dawson. The Connacht full back apparently is one to watch as well...although not named I guess they are talking about Gavin Duffy.

It's quite nice reading conversations between people from so long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I am intrigued most by the  Ireland v New Zealand, 2013 (24.11.13). I have no recollection of playing New Zealand that year.

Most of us have long erased that game from our hippocampus'.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rudiger2.0

bilston wrote: »
    Speaking of classic rugby, the browser bizarrely redirected me back to some 17 year old threads there.

Some interesting reading!

I particularly like the "young Celtic League hotshots" thread. The poster reckons Eoin Reddan is one to watch and reminds them of a young Matt Dawson. The Connacht full back apparently is one to watch as well...although not named I guess they are talking about Gavin Duffy.

It's quite nice reading conversations between people from so long ago!

I'm having similar issues and not just in the rugby board.

Btw I can't believe Neil Back has been omitted from the England squad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Odd selection. The women's game, fair enough they won the Grand Slam but the title was secured at home the week against France who finished second. The 2013 NZ game is just a f*cking weird choice. Who wants to watch their team lose?

So many games they could put on. The 2009 match against France. England in 2007. The record defeat of SA in the Aviva. The 2011 RWC game against Australia or France in 2015.

They probably don't have the rights to show 6N or RWC games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Does a channel lose all rights to matches even those it has shown exclusively in the past under a present contract that they do not possess the rights to?
    BTW I don't see 2013 game vs NZ as a weird choice. Despite losing inheartbreaking fashion, it was still a great game to watch, a bit like Australia vs NZ in 2000 which was a classic match even for Aussies to watch. If you haven't ever watched that game check it out on Youtube. See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d25i-SLgsSg

Looks like it. They've a schedule right over the summer and the other games they're showing are autumn internationals from 2006 (Australia and SA) and Munster vs NZ in 2008.

Right on cue, Virgin have announced that they're showing classic 6N games starting tomorrow with the 2007 England game

Right on cue, Virgin have announced that they're showing classic 6N games starting tomorrow with the 2007 England game

Wonder will it be RTE commentary or BBC or even VM voice over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Odd selection. The 2013 NZ game is just a f*cking weird choice.

Looking forward to that one!! Will have to set a reminder to record it. One of the best games ever.

Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We lost the game, but it's still one of our all time best performances. The Best and Murray trys are still fantastic to watch for the exceptional phase and power plays that preceded them.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,728 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Looking forward to that one!! Will have to set a reminder to record it. One of the best games ever.

Sorry :D

maybe madigan wont bite in this time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭crossman47

I watched the game v England in 2007 on Virgin. It was highlights but about an hour long. The commentary was from BBC. Eddie Butler was fine but Brian Moore found it hard to credit Ireland until they were well on top. Some things that struck me were:

1. There was more time for action because scrums formed quickly and play carried on even if they collapsed
    2. Our back play was brilliant - Eddie O'Sullivan could still do a good job for someone as a backs coach.
    3. It confirmed my long held view that Stringer was our best ever scrum half. Munster certainly discarded him too early. He didn't kick but his passing was fast and accurate. He left O'Gara plenty time to kick if required and boy could he do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

crossman47 wrote: »
    I watched the game v England in 2007 on Virgin. It was highlights but about an hour long. The commentary was from BBC. Eddie Butler was fine but Brian Moore found it hard to credit Ireland until they were well on top. Some things that struck me were:

1. There was more time for action because scrums formed quickly and play carried on even if they collapsed
    2. Our back play was brilliant - Eddie O'Sullivan could still do a good job for someone as a backs coach.
    3. It confirmed my long held view that Stringer was our best ever scrum half. Munster certainly discarded him too early. He didn't kick but his passing was fast and accurate. He left O'Gara plenty time to kick if required and boy could he do it.
    Munster didnt really discard stringer too early. Yes his passing was better than any other scrum half but didnt offer enough in other areas
    Eddie o Sullivan should have got another look in Ireland at pro level.
    Plays continues if scrums have collapsed now if ball is available but scrums are better now with the changes in law including call, management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭crossman47

Munster didnt really discard stringer too early. Yes his passing was better than any other scrum half but didnt offer enough in other areas
    Eddie o Sullivan should have got another look in Ireland at pro level.
    Plays continues if scrums have collapsed now if ball is available but scrums are better now with the changes in law including call, management.

The issue re Stringer is debatable but I can't agree on scrums. If a match has ten scrums these days, then about ten minutes play is lost setting and resetting. By the way, I would no longer allow a penalty from a scrum infringement to be kicked for goal. The ref is usually guessing anyway.

Wasn't Stringers major issue his lack of a break? When he was at the base of a scrum or ruck you knew he was doing nothing but passing to the first receiver. That sometimes worked in his favour, like when he made the break against Biarritz in the HC Final. But he was a rather one dimensional scrum. His pass was excellent, but if you know that's what he's going to do the majority of the time then you can make plans to defend it. Just like the Georgians did.

He didn't have a break, he didn't have a kicking game and he wasn't much use in defence. He never shirked his responsibility or lacked for effort but it simply could never make up for the fact that he was 5'7" and 11 stone. The fact that people can instantly point to his tap tackle on Jason Robinson or his try against Biarritz highlight how easy it is to identify when he made a significant contribution in those areas.

He was the best passer of the ball we've seen in this country in my lifetime which suited the game and those around him who thrived on quick ball but this was back before analysis had come close to current levels. When it came to the RWC and teams had actually put in the effort and preparation, he was nullfied and our back line had multiple defenders in their faces when they got the ball because they knew it was unlikely they'd be turned around by a snipe or a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Munster would have happily kept him around for a year or two more. His (lack of) injury record, experience and professionalism would have made him a good backup to Murray. However with his profile I imagine he received better offers from the Premiership than Munster would not have been willing to match for a backup role.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

crossman47 wrote: »
    The issue re Stringer is debatable but I can't agree on scrums. If a match has ten scrums these days, then about ten minutes play is lost setting and resetting. By the way, I would no longer allow a penalty from a scrum infringement to be kicked for goal. The ref is usually guessing anyway.
    that's nonsense about refs guessing. At pro level the refs put in so much time and work into the game in particular the scrum that it's not guessing at all.
    If you dont allow penalties from scrums be kicked at goal you penalise teams who're good at scrums and cause more problems than you solve
    I think Munster would have happily kept him around for a year or two more. His (lack of) injury record, experience and professionalism would have made him a good backup to Murray. However with his profile I imagine he received better offers from the Premiership than Munster would not have been willing to match for a backup role.
    Munster would but he wasnt going to stay as he looked for each new move as he didnt want to stay when not getting much gametime

• Advertisement

Wasn't it the exact opposite though? That Penney didn't see any value in him even as second choice.

Shane Horgan had a fantastic game against England in 07. Everyone remembers the try but he was a constant threat.

Easterby had a great game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Anyone know where i can get a replay of munster vs leinster in Thomond in 2018 remember it Being absolutely full of niggles and handbags but in the Highlights it just shows lowes red card.

Anyone know where i can get a replay of munster vs leinster in Thomond in 2018 remember it Being absolutely full of niggles and handbags but in the Highlights it just shows lowes red card.

Is this the game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsHM39sYBmo

Posted this on old match thread. Not RTE but still a classic game.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1251462812142120960?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Advertisement