Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools & Horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i love the thought of uncle albert and his mishaps being the single best asset the germans had during the 1939 to 1945 conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Brendan o Carroll has ripped of so many comedians :pac:
    How come people don't slag him over it?

I remember I had one of his stand ups as a kid on VHS in the 90s. I admit I thought it was funny at the time. But years later I saw the famous Richard Prior stand ups from the 70s and 80s and O'Carroll blatantly ripped his jokes off.

You could argue it was the 90s and before the internet that maybe, he could get away with it? But still doing it today? Ripping off the iconic del falling down bar scene?! :pac:

Only fools is still in pop culture. Granted, not as much as it was and it's fading. But fecking hell lol. What next ripping off the chandelier?

He drew huge "inspiration" from Roy Chubby Browne in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Carroll's greatest achievement has been to emerge out of the lightweight category to become unified and undisputed heavyweight champion of the willy joke. A title he shows little sign of relinquishing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Is this on blu ray or is dvd as good as it gets or what is the best version, some versions are missing bits I read before?

FFVII wrote: »
    Is this on blu ray or is dvd as good as it gets or what is the best version, some versions are missing bits I read before?

Mrs Browne's Boys ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

sligojoek wrote: »
    Mrs Browne's Boys ???

Oh no, only fools

Oh no, only fools

The first three series and Xmas specials are on Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some of them are on Netflix.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Some of them are on Netflix.

Do you know if they are cut versions or the originals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do you know if they are cut versions or the originals.

Interesting question. I don't know. I don't know if it was exported to the US and cut. Hopefully the originals.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Great show. One of the best episodes is “Thicker than water” where the father Reg makes an unexpected appearance at Christmas. It seems Reg has a hereditary blood disorder, and he feels the right thing to do is tell his family.
    As Del said, “Some people get wise men bearing gifts We a get a wally with a disease!”.

Also, Sunglasses Ron and Paddy the Greek, the greatest characters to be never seen. Maxi Stavros too, even if he was made up by Arnie. The names are so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

SeaFields wrote: »
    Everyone has a favourite scene. Mine is when del boy borrows a pump action shot gun from a bank robber to go clay pigeon shooting with the upper classes.

"Iggy iggins robs banks"

"Yeah but it's Saturday"

"Ready when you are, John."

"Do you mean pull?"

"Oh sorry Paul. In your own time my son!"

KungPao wrote: »
    Great show. One of the best episodes is “Thicker than water” where the father Reg makes an unexpected appearance at Christmas. It seems Reg has a hereditary blood disorder, and he feels the right thing to do is tell his family.
    As Del said, “Some people get wise men bearing gifts We a get a wally with a disease!”.

Also, Sunglasses Ron and Paddy the Greek, the greatest characters to be never seen. Maxi Stavros too, even if he was made up by Arnie. The names are so funny.

I work with a guy called Spiros. Lovely chap but I've never gotten used to his name because of this show.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

sligojoek wrote: »
    I see in a trailer that Brendan O Carroll has ripped it off for Mrs Brown. Shameless.

Jaysus. Is it a deliberate tribute or a "ill just rip off this 40 year old sketch in the hope nobody remembers it"? Pretty stupid if it's the latter as it's very well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Interesting question. I don't know. I don't know if it was exported to the US and cut. Hopefully the originals.

I don’t think they’re cut

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

In Jolly Boys Outing on the back seat of the bus there is a lad with sunglasses on him, perhaps he is the great Sunglasses Ron?

Monkey Harris! Sometimes wonder if bob mortimer had a hand in the scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Only thing that annoys me is the inconsistency regarding Uncle Albert. In his first episode and a few times thereafter, he states that he was a boiler maintenance operative but he has all these medals.

That’s a fair one alright. At one point he was boiler maintenance, the a radar operator when they hit the US aircraft carrier. And he was in control of steering ship when they hit the Greek fishing trawler which turned out to be British soldiers escaping capture. And then he was in the laundry on the isle of white when he had parachute training which enabled him to fall down the cellar of the Nag’s Head without hurting himself.

If I was being generous, I’d say he was sent to the isle of white to work in the laundry after he was involved in all the mishaps on ships. If I wasn’t being generous I’d say he probably made up the big stories because all he did was work in the laundry.

But the one about crashing into the fishing trawler seemed to be true as it was confirmed by someone else (maybe Sid in the trip to Margate?)

I don’t think they’re cut

I've only watched one on Netflix but I think it was the proper length. I've a good eye for seeing changes in shows I've seen plenty of times and it seemed fine.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That’s a fair one alright. At one point he was booker maintenance, the a radar operator when they hit the US aircraft carrier. And he was in control of steering ship when they hit the Greek fishing trawler which turned out to be British soldiers escaping capture. And then he was in the laundry on the isle of white when he had parachute training which enabled him to fall down the cellar of the Nag’s Head without hurting himself.

If I was being generous, I’d say he was sent to the isle of white to work in the laundry after he was involved in all the mishaps on ships. If I wasn’t being generous I’d say he probably made up the big stories because all he did was work in the laundry.

But the one about crashing into the fishing trawler seemed to be true as it was confirmed by someone else (maybe Sid in the trip to Margate?)

aah but what about all his descendants in the town they visited in France?:):)

• Advertisement

Ha. The the "Geriatric village of the Damned"

When Del told the priest he bought the lead in good faith form people he assumed were honest and upstanding.

"Who were they?"

Sunglasses Ron and Paddy they Greek"

"Well they don't come more honest and upstanding than those two"

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Oh toujours la politesse, toujours. I mean this is beautiful innit, eh? Bet you've held a few balls in here m'lady?

I dont think it could be possible albert won all those medals, "more medals than the russian olympic squad," as Marlene i think put it, but it's not impossible he won one or more and dont think the writer means to imply definitively he didnt. That scene in jolly boys where he's holding the baby and telling one of his stories is actually quite touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In the Peckham Spring episode when Del, Trigger and Denzil are getting rid of the toxic waste and bring it to the council depot.

Denzil - “It’s closed”.
    Del - “What do you mean it’s closed?”
    Trigger - “Well we are a bit late”.
    Del - “Late? What do you mean late? You said it was open 24 hours a day!”
    Trigger - “Yeah, but not at night”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

No BD. DVD box has cuts primarily music related and A Royal Flush has 18 minutes gone due to John Sullivan re-editing. You can get full version on the part-work DVD. The VHS sets are more intact and my go-to versions.

As I said before, I wish somebody would give it a proper DVD/BD release. Unlike other shows, there doesn’t seem to be same push from fans who seem satisfied with the cut DVD sets. Would be great to get the following:
    1) Series 1 with original Ronnie Hazlehurst theme.
    2) As few music substitutions as possible
    3) Commentaries from actors on selected episodes
    4) Inclusion of documentaries
    5) All the mini-episodes, comedy sketches, Comic / Sports Relief spots
    6) Miami Twice as originally broadcast - two episodes not one.

I note Minder mentioned on this thread. The UK DVD releases are poor; the best versions are the Australian DVD sets from Madman. They have commentaries, promotional shorts and the break bumpers are fully intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That episode was awful and that scene was jumping the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

There is a west end stage version of OF&H with Paul Whitehouse as Grandad. I wonder was it any good?
    Yes I saw it last summer. It was enjoyable - consists of reenactments of classic scenes from the first three series mainly (including the chandelier scene as the finale)
    Good fun - I found that the actor playing Rodney to be the most true to the original character
    https://onlyfoolsmusical.com/

Paul Whitehouse also plays Uncle Albert as part of the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

In the Peckham Spring episode when Del, Trigger and Denzil are getting rid of the toxic waste and bring it to the council depot.

Denzil - “It’s closed”.
    Del - “What do you mean it’s closed?”
    Trigger - “Well we are a bit late”.
    Del - “Late? What do you mean late? You said it was open 24 hours a day!”
    Trigger - “Yeah, but not at night”.

lol. That’s gold. I’ve just rewatched it on YouTube and it’s a genuine laugh out loud scene. Credit to the guy who plays Denzil too, he plays the utterly exasperated sidekick role so well!

• Advertisement

That episode was awful and that scene was jumping the shark.

I actually like that episode but I agree it was jumping the shark. Then Miami Twice was just a step too far. I didn’t think it was funny or even watchable. It was like a different show and just didn’t make any sense. By far the worst episode and the only one I’d say is not even good.

Advertisement