Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyces supermarket Knocknacarra - prices at the till never reflect special offers

Options
  • 14-04-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Due to the Covid-19 situation while shopping, I think we are all in and out of the shops as quick as we can and don't want to stand around checking receipts at the till, which some people would have done in the past.

Today, for the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks, I discover when I get home that I paid full price for 'special offers'. Today's example was Lindt bunnies, marked as half price - I paid full €4 each for the small ones; last week it was Nivea shower gel marked as €2, when I got home I saw I paid €4.50 for it. Its sooo annoying.

If it wasn't for Covid-19, I would keep these receipts and speak to a manager, but I am conscious of distancing, staff not wanting to handle old receipts etc. at this current time.

Anyone find this happens to them in Joyces? I try to use Dunnes and Aldi most of the time, but sometimes its convenient to pop into Joyces for a few bits.

Comments

Exact same thing happens in their shop on Fr. Griffin Road.

Happened to me so often that I went to the trouble to email them last December, they apologised sincerely and said that no one else had ever contacted them about this and that they would "endeavour to improve the pricing". It happened to me twice again in January so I just haven't been back again.

Assumed it was just a bad manager of that one shop but it sounds like its a policy choice. I never found it when that location used to be a supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

I think its getting more common lately, and not just Joyces. I was at centra, got a few items, not much and when i got home i checked my receipt and saw i was charged for 3 jars of milk altho i only got two. something to watch out for i guess in future and to know what exactly you are paying for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That has been ongoing for years. Used to live in walking distance, but gave up on shopping there except in emergencies. Between wrong prices at the till and products past their Best Before Date it was just too much hassle.
    Dunnes and Aldi are more reliable, they are by no means perfect but you don't have to be watching like a hawk all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I never found it when that location used to be a supervalu

That was my local for around 6 years when it was Supervalu... used to happen nearly every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

So basically their EPOS (Point Of Sale) is a joke, Id ask to speak to manager.

If a retailer makes a mistake and the actual price for the item is more than that displayed the retailers have certain rights. They do not automatically have to sell you the goods at the price stated. It is the retailer's responsibility to correct the mistake as soon as possible. If the retailer knowingly charges more for a product than is displayed an offence may be committed. Generally, if you are told the correct price before you pay, you have no right to redress. If you notice the error after you have paid, you should bring the matter to the retailer's attention who, most likely, would refund you the difference. You could also report the matter to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. The office will investigate the complaint with the objective of ensuring future compliance with the Act. This however does not mean financial redress for the individual complainant.

Source:https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

Ive always found Dunnes to be great, had a few issues with Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Exact same thing happens in their shop on Fr. Griffin Road.

Happened to me so often that I went to the trouble to email them last December, they apologised sincerely and said that no one else had ever contacted them about this and that they would "endeavour to improve the pricing". It happened to me twice again in January so I just haven't been back again.

Assumed it was just a bad manager of that one shop but it sounds like its a policy choice. I never found it when that location used to be a supervalu

I've kicked up in Knocknacarra more than once, they keep saying its an error but its too consistent to be a once off.

I was told that all the info for the pos is loaded at hq and if its queries in another branch, they have to email to draw attention, god knows how many units have been sold at the wrong proce in the meantime.

If ques's aren't a mile long everywhere but these I wount be darkening their doors.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Juran wrote: »
    Due to the Covid-19 situation while shopping, I think we are all in and out of the shops as quick as we can and don't want to stand around checking receipts at the till, which some people would have done in the past.

Today, for the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks, I discover when I get home that I paid full price for 'special offers'. Today's example was Lindt bunnies, marked as half price - I paid full €4 each for the small ones; last week it was Nivea shower gel marked as €2, when I got home I saw I paid €4.50 for it. Its sooo annoying.

If it wasn't for Covid-19, I would keep these receipts and speak to a manager, but I am conscious of distancing, staff not wanting to handle old receipts etc. at this current time.

Anyone find this happens to them in Joyces? I try to use Dunnes and Aldi most of the time, but sometimes its convenient to pop into Joyces for a few bits.

Nonsense. Call them on it. Send an email with photo of receipts.

Joyces are desperate. Major problem with dates on food too. I went back with something I bought (months ago) which I noticed when I got home was out of date. It happened several times and I'd had enough. There's no comfort shopping in their stores as you have to inspect every date on every item.......it's ridiculous. I only there now if I stuck, I avoid the place in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭zuhuraswa

I found the very same in Joyce's Oranmore. Nearly every time I shop things on offer without fail, it's overpriced at the till. Sometimes for several items all on sale, but full price at till. Just experienced this yesterday once again!
    I only buy stuff there when I've forgotten something from my main shopping as it's next to my house.
    It's a rip off

Same in Athenry & Tuam.

Joyces are well known for this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Think they were found out to be price coaching at the start of the pandemic, people will remember this. I can’t see any of the city stores doing well past a convenience shop, only see his atherny/headford stores turning a profit. There more due to a lack of alternative then anything else though. He’s been objecting to Lidal/aldi/dunes for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Athenry store is just as bad for price sh1te hawking and there’s pallets of stuff left all over the place inside like an obstacle course.
    The car park is in fcukin sh1te then with dips and holes all over it and black lampposts then for crashing into in the dark.
    Check dates on everything and get fleeced at the tills every time.
    You’d want to be badly stuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Think they were found out to be price coaching at the start of the pandemic, people will remember this.

That got shared around social media in mass hysteria. They responded that only a single product had increased in price (a specific toilet roll) as their cost price had increased.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    That got shared around social media in mass hysteria. They responded that only a single product had increased in price (a specific toilet roll) as their cost price had increased.

Anyone who went into there store could see that more than a single specific item had increased in price. There response was underwhelming, lacked depth to say the least and left more questions that they refused to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People getting personal with the owner of the shop.
    Getting personal isn't on, warnings handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone who went into there store could see that more than a single specific item had increased in price. There response was underwhelming, lacked depth to say the least and left more questions that they refused to answer

I agree with you there, it brought out all the joyces apologists to shout down the complaints and support 'poor' ash(I think) who they said was being dogpilled for no reason.
    It sickened me and caused great hilarity when I passed it around colleagues who know anything about shopping in any of the branches.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladiesman217

This has been an going issues for years as other have stated. Is would would be interesting to know how much money he is "Knowingly" taking from people? If people were to save their receipts over a 3month period and add up the amount they were over charged I feel you would see a large amount being shown x the amount of people using the store!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Most of the products in store are gb stamped aswell indicating they originated in the north or else mainland uk.
    It’s a dodgy setup I’ve no doubt.even the mars bars and coke bottles are gb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Saz2020 wrote: »
    I think its getting more common lately, and not just Joyces. I was at centra, got a few items, not much and when i got home i checked my receipt and saw i was charged for 3 jars of milk altho i only got two. something to watch out for i guess in future and to know what exactly you are paying for

That's pretty different. That sounds more like human error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Wompa1 wrote: »

Joyce’s in Knocknacarra is about 600 or 700 metres from my house. I now go to Super Valu in Barna whenever possible even though that’s a few miles. If buying in Joyce’s on a very rare occasion I will only buy packaged products (not packed by Joyce’s), always check the date and always check the price.

I’ve had rotten meat, mouldy cakes, overpriced goods. They just don’t care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Special offers not scanning as such at the till was a major recurring/consistent issue in Headford for a long time, up to about 12-18 months ago (It was such an issue, I did start to think it was intentional rather than ineptitude or systems/process issues). But since then, it does seem to have improved drastically.

We don't do our main shop there, but would still be in a couple of times a week, for 'branded' things, often specifically buying things that would be on offer (cereal for example). I watch it like a hawk now for prices scanning as per the shelf price, and I have to say (in Headford at least) in my experience, it doesn't happen all that often any more.

Clearly from all the feedback here, it's still a big issue in other stores, and it's just not good enough.

Most of the products in store are gb stamped aswell indicating they originated in the north or else mainland uk.
    It’s a dodgy setup I’ve no doubt.even the mars bars and coke bottles are gb

Personally I couldn't care less where it comes from it's the frequent occurrence of out of date products that drives me crazy.

Went to their Oranmore store last week because Tesco queue was absolutely crazy.... There wasn't 5 people in Joyce's... No queue at till....says it all. Queues at every other big supermarket.

Personally I couldn't care less where it comes from it's the frequent occurrence of out of date products that drives me crazy.

Went to their Oranmore store last week because Tesco queue was absolutely crazy.... There wasn't 5 people in Joyce's... No queue at till....says it all. Queues at every other big supermarket.

Can’t see the father griffin, oranmore or doughiskia stores turning much of a profit

Can’t see the father griffin, oranmore or doughiskia stores turning much of a profit

Tesco has queues out around the complex and heading towards the main road through the village. People queue for half hour often. Clearly prefer to queue rather than go the the near empty supermarket up the road.

That Oranmore store was an absolute cash cow when SuperValu had it. Didn't take long for all their customers to move elsewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Tesco has queues out around the complex and heading towards the main road through the village. People queue for half hour often. Clearly prefer to queue rather than go the the near empty supermarket up the road.

That Oranmore store was an absolute cash cow when SuperValu had it. Didn't take long for all their customers to move elsewhere....

I try to buy Irish BUT I have to say, I'd prefer to shop at Tesco now that SuperValu has gone so scarce. Tesco to be fair carry a lot of Irish products. They have the charity stuff for Galway and different regions around the place. The delivery service is excellent and though the Headford Road store is getting a bit long in the tooth, their stores are generally well organized.

It's a shame Joyce's have gotten quite the footprint now. If they ran a better business, I'd be inclined to give them my money since they are a Galway business. Shame!

It’s crazy really that Galway city has no SuperValu. It’s by far the best shop imo and not to have a large one in Galway is hard to understand. If you had the equivalent of O’tooles in Tuam somewhere in or close to the city it would be a gold mine.

Joyces are expensive and <some content removed>.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Best thing about Joyce's is the alcohol section. I would only go there to get a few small bits, never a full shop. I've been done at the tills on a good few occassions for incorrect pricing so I always check the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Bring back the super value to the Eyre Square shopping centre I say!

It’s crazy really that Galway city has no SuperValu. It’s by far the best shop imo and not to have a large one in Galway is hard to understand. If you had the equivalent of O’tooles in Tuam somewhere in or close to the city it would be a gold mine.

Joyces are expensive and well known for shenanigans around dates and pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I try to buy Irish BUT I have to say, I'd prefer to shop at Tesco now that SuperValu has gone so scarce. Tesco to be fair carry a lot of Irish products. They have the charity stuff for Galway and different regions around the place. The delivery service is excellent and though the Headford Road store is getting a bit long in the tooth, their stores are generally well organized.

It's a shame Joyce's have gotten quite the footprint now. If they ran a better business, I'd be inclined to give them my money since they are a Galway business. Shame!
    I prefer Dunnes. I feel like Tesco tries to force their own brand stuff too much. Every time I go in they seem to have less other brand stuff.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    I prefer Dunnes. I feel like Tesco tries to force their own brand stuff too much. Every time I go in they seem to have less other brand stuff.

You ever try Iceland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement