Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools & Horses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And when Del let on the lift wasnt working after Cassandras miscarraige to get Rodney to discuss it

He tried pretending he was sick earlier and rodney didn't bite.

"The doctor said I would live, but he didn't recommend it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Has he ever had trouble with pleurisy?

Only when he tried to spell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Del: I dunno, maybe you could be right. It could do with brightening up a bit. If I added some fiberglass models, of say, an apostle and four
    cherubims with trumpets, do you think it would alter the effect?

Rodney: If you added fiberglass models of Snow White and the seven dwarfs you couldn’t alter the effect of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Jeju

Delboy trying to peddle some back cure down the market, love Dels reaction.

The episode also where Rodney is chief mourner in front of the hearse he calls Del a Git as he leads the hearse down a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was watching the last half hour of "Britain's favourite sitcom" with my 15 yr old son last night. It's been o loads of times and OFAH always wins. :D:D

He asked me if it was any good as he'd seen a few clips before while channel surfing. The upshot of it all is we're having a family viewing of the first few episodes on Netflix later in the week. Better than any jigsaws or Monopoly.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was watching the last half hour of "Britain's favourite sitcom" with my 15 yr old son last night. It's been o loads of times and OFAH always wins. :D:D

He asked me if it was any good as he'd seen a few clips before while channel surfing. The upshot of it all is we're having a family viewing of the first few episodes on Netflix later in the week. Better than any jigsaws or Monopoly.

Great decision! Enjoy the big family night in.

One think that always confuses me is when they do shows about the funniest moment in TV and declare the scene where Del falls through the hatch in the wine bar as the best of all time. It's a funny bit, but the best bits of OFAH are the subtle bits. Like the joke mentioned above "has Del ever suffered with plurisy?"

Great decision! Enjoy the big family night in.

One think that always confuses me is when they do shows about the funniest moment in TV and declare the scene where Del falls through the hatch in the wine bar as the best of all time. It's a funny bit, but the best bits of OFAH are the subtle bits. Like the joke mentioned above "has Del ever suffered with pluracy?"

I see in a trailer that Brendan O Carroll has ripped it off for Mrs Brown. Shameless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see in a trailer that Brendan O Carroll has ripped it off for Mrs Brown. Shameless.

Really? For a movie or his show? That's quite low to be honest.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That's bad.

I don't hate Mrs Brown as much as other people. I often watch 5 mins of it when I see it on TV. But that's a bit like admitting you're out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont think it's that big a deal tbh. How original can falling over a bar counter be anyway? Buster Keaton, Jerry Lewis, Laurel &Hardy etc Got to be talking 1000s. I might have laughed when i saw that scene the first few times, but feels a bit forced now. Chandelier was 1000 times better imo, still never see it coming! Anyway, point is, O'Carroll can recycle the gags, but he'll never match the class of Sullivan's writing or the comedic timing or emotional depth of the characters. Everybody knows that.

• Advertisement

Really? For a movie or his show? That's quite low to be honest.

Not sure. I saw it once or twice during ad breaks recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Cake Man wrote: »
    Fantastic sitcom, probably my favourite of all time. The casual racism and homophobia wouldn't be allowed today but it was definitely a reflection of society at the time. What I also liked about it was how it did actually portray life at the time - Del and Rodney wheeling and dealing dodgy merchandise "off the back of a lorry" to make a living, living in a sh!tty council estate, the pub being the epicentre of all social interaction etc.

There was definitely a bit of a drop off when Cassandra and Raquel were regulars but was still fairly decent.

Some of my favourite episodes:

Cash and Curry: Del and Rodney pawn off everything they can to stump up the cash to buy a seemingly valuable statue and try to broker a deal between two Indian families at loggerheads with each other but end up being swindled.

Chain Gang: Very similar premise to the above, Del and Rodney get the rest of the Nags Head regulars (Boycie, Trigger, Denzel, Mike) involved in a deal with Arnie for gold chains but this time manage to catch him in the act.

Friday the 14th: Like many others have said, great episode. One of the best lines in the whole series:
    Del (to Rodney who steps outside while there's a storm outside): "Come in Rodney there a bloody typhoid outside"
    Rodney (closes door and comes in): It's "typhoon"
    Del: "Yeah go on then put the kettle on"

A Winning Streak: Boycie keeps winning at poker over Del and Trig but Del manages to play him at his own game to take the winning pot.

May the Force Be With You: May be not the most well known episode but thought it was fantastic. Del is up on a charge of stealing a microwave by Detective Slater but talks and fools his way out of it. The last minute of that episode was pure gold! What was great about this was that it was primarily based in the one small interview room and for an OFAH episode, nothing much really happened if that makes sense but the pure acting and dialogue kept you glued to it to see how things would turn out!

"You can get them in Portobello Road for seventeen pounds each! It’s amazing what you can save if you shop around."

My favourite quote from a non OFAH regular / recurring character

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

One of my favourites from Del boy to Albert -not only have you managed to sink every battleship and aircraft carrier that you've ever sailed on, but now you've gone and knackered a gravy boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Whitehorse wrote: »
    One of my favourites from Del boy to Albert -not only have you managed to sink every battleship and aircraft carrier that you've ever sailed on, but now you've gone and knackered a gravy boat.

They’d have stood more chance with Ray Charles in the crows nest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Andrew00 wrote: »
    One of the best TV shows every made.

Wouldn't get away with making it now due to the PC Climate Change snowflake brigade

What an absolute nonsense phrase. What does climate change have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Hoop66

What an absolute nonsense phrase. What does climate change have to do with anything?

Didn't you know? Not wanting to drown or be burnt alive in a forest fire makes you a whining, lefty, liberal, PC Brigade, snowflake etc etc...

Jeju wrote: »

The episode also where Rodney is chief mourner in front of the hearse he calls Del a Git as he leads the hearse down a one way street.

Yes, but I didn't ask you to do the third act of 'Singing in the Rain'! You came round that corner looking like Old Father Time. One rub of me massager and you turned into Wayne Sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There is a west end stage version of OF&H with Paul Whitehouse as Grandad. I wonder was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

There were earlier posts discussing the jokes regarding race and how it wouldnt be accepted today.

I remember the episode cash & curry where del and rodney go back to the indian restaurant looking for mr rahm. Del says to the indian waiter, i was here the other night, you must remember me?

The indian waiter replies, im sorry, you people all look alike to me.

Brilliant.

There were earlier posts discussing the jokes regarding race and how it wouldnt be accepted today.

I remember the episode cash & curry where del and rodney go back to the indian restaurant looking for mr rahm. Del says to the indian waiter, i was here the other night, you must remember me?

The indian waiter replies, im sorry, you people all look alike to me.

Brilliant.

Where do people get the idea that you can't discus race or have race jokes in TV shows any loner? OFAH made a monkey joke about black lads in To Hull and Back and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly any longer. But there are lots of shows with racial humour - not many which air during the daytime.

From South Park to Master of None, there are plenty of shows that have race based jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Jeju wrote: »

Great clip but wish people wouldn’t stretch into widescreen. It was shot in 4:3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Play it nice and cool, Trig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Uncle Albert : [after looking at an old WW2 photo of Uncle Albert's] Just a few hours after that photo was taken we was in action.

Del Boy : That's all you need, innit?

Uncle Albert : There was an American aircraft-carrier, anchored off-shore. The USS Pittsburgh. It was our job to protect her. Well, we'd only been sailing for about an hour and we crashed right into her. Cor, didn't half make a noise.

Del Boy : [incredulous] You went and whacked into the boat that you were going out to protect?

Uncle Albert : Yeah. It was a good job she was there actually, she picked up most of the survivors.

Rodney : Was your ship badly damaged?

Uncle Albert : *We* couldn't tell, Rodney, it sunk! Course, they tried to put the blame on me.

Del Boy : Sounds fair.

Uncle Albert : Just 'cos I was on watch at the time. I had me excuses ready!

Rodney : What, were you drunk?

Uncle Albert : Don't be silly! The American vessel was at battle stations and was showing no light. You weren't allowed. There was a war on.

Del Boy : Course there was.

Uncle Albert : So then they tried to get me on naval technicalities, like it happened in broad daylight.

Rodney : You didn't see an aircraft carrier?

Del Boy : Forty-two thousand tons of steel!

Uncle Albert : Well I wasn't close enough!

Rodney : You must have been reasonably close. Unc, you hit it!

Del Boy : They'd have stood more chance with Ray Charles in the crow's nest!

:)

From https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081912/characters/nm0581467

It's the subtlety of the writing that makes it so good, in the frogs legacy when Reen was talking to Del about the whereabouts of the gold bullion she said "Rodney wouldn't be where he is today if it weren't for you", it was meant as a compliment but for the audience it was the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It's the subtlety of the writing that makes it so good, in the frogs legacy when Reen was talking to Del about the whereabouts of the gold bullion she said "Rodney wouldn't be where he is today if it weren't for you", it was meant as a compliment but for the audience it was the exact opposite.

Interestingly, I never took that quote as anything other than a compliment. One thing I have found about OFAH is that when I watch them back, I get a quote or joke that completely went over my head the first time around.

I remember hearing the Grandad "Heroes fit for homes" speech recently and was blown away by the intensity & passion of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Only thing that annoys me is the inconsistency regarding Uncle Albert. In his first episode and a few times thereafter, he states that he was a boiler maintenance operative but he has all these medals.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Only thing that annoys me is the inconsistency regarding Uncle Albert. In his first episode and a few times thereafter, he states that he was a boiler maintenance operative but he has all these medals.

Was always a bit vague wasnt it? According to the prosecution when they were suing the nags head, his "overseas" duty consisted of "laundry" duties on the Isle of Wight. "You try walkin it pal," Albert shoots back. It'd be nice to believe those medals were genuine, but he is a trotter after all, right?

Was always a bit vague wasnt it? According to the prosecution when they were suing the nags head, his "overseas" duty consisted of "laundry" duties on the Isle of Wight. "You try walkin it pal," Albert shoots back. It'd be nice to believe those medals were genuine, but he is a trotter after all, right?

He does have the medals though. A small thing I know but the inconsistency irks me a bit.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Brendan o Carroll has ripped of so many comedians :pac:
    How come people don't slag him over it?

I remember I had one of his stand ups as a kid on VHS in the 90s. I admit I thought it was funny at the time. But years later I saw the famous Richard Prior stand ups from the 70s and 80s and O'Carroll blatantly ripped his jokes off.

You could argue it was the 90s and before the internet that maybe, he could get away with it? But still doing it today? Ripping off the iconic del falling down bar scene?! :pac:

Only fools is still in pop culture. Granted, not as much as it was and it's fading. But fecking hell lol. What next ripping off the chandelier?

• Advertisement

He does have the medals though. A small thing I know but the inconsistency irks me a bit.

He HAD the medals. Cant be taken away!

"During the war..."

"If you say during the war once more, I'm going to throw this cup of tea over you."

"During the 1939 to 1945 conflict.."

Advertisement