Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training

Options
  • 14-04-2020 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,
    I hope everyone is keeping safe!
    Just wanted a little bit of advice in relation to marathon training. Currently running 3-4 days per week and doing 2 days of core work on top. I generally cant seem to do much more than this without getting injured.
    In terms of training, I'm currently doing one easy run (10k), One session ( 6x1k or hills/fartlek etc), 1 tempo (8k -10k) and then a long run.
    Couple of questions, is it possible to run a sub 3 off 3-4 days training? and what specific sessions do you guys find work best?
    For background I'm only back running since December after a 2 year break.
    Pb's previously off a couple months training:
    5K-18.20
    8k- 31
    Half Marathon - 1,26
    Full marathon - 3,37 ( off 4 months training)

Any help welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Couple of questions;

*Where do you get injured?
    *What mileage was the 1.26 half off (+ what plan did you use)

Its probably best to follow a 16 week plan, rather than look for specific sessions - all the sessions that most runners do are all progressive in nature - so if someone says a 5/4/3/2/1 mile session at MP - well, yes, tha'ts a great session, but it takes a while to build to that and its the building to that session (or similar sessions) that makes you stronger, rather than 1 specific session.

I like Jack Daniels, others prefer P&D or Hanson is quite En Vogue around here these days!

My advice is to spend the next few months building up again, slowly - you've got the time.
    I wouldn't go flogging myself - I'd be building up a very good aerobic base - basic runs, the odd tempo or fartlek (10x1min or 1/2/3/4/2/1 mins etc).
    Once we get a view on when races / Marathons will start happening again, then you can build in some Marathon Specific stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Thanks for the reply.
    I got injured last summer playing 5 a side. Done ankle ligaments (Was out for the best part of 7 months).
    For the half marathon. I just pretty much done 2 runs a week. One was usually 8k and the the other was a run starting 60min and building to the half distance. It was very basic stuff with no sessions or a plan as such.

Thanks for the advice, that's a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Take some time to read a few training logs and threads here. There's a sub 3 thread with an unbelievable amount of advice and experience. I learned quite a bit from that. AuldmanKing wouldn't be a bad place to start or someone like Healy83 (can't remember the actual handle right now and I'm on the phone so can't really check!) Then there's the log to end all logs by Krustyclown who went from something like 4.30 to 2.30 in the marathon over a few years. Search them up if you have time. You seem to have a bit of talent if you're achieving those times off 2 or 3 runs a week. Most serious folk on here would be doing 6 or 7 days running. A sub 3 off 3 days a week is doable but probably not ideal..... If you want to up the mileage, do so gradually and include plenty of easy runs while building up. That should help with avoiding injury. Good luck.

Advertisement