Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance/Repair during Covid crisis -Dundalk

Options
  • 14-04-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

As the title says;

Is there any bike shop open in Dundalk area during the Covid crisis?

Tried to get my long-unused bike out today, and the brakes are totally shot.

Where might I get them fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

What do you mean by shot? Wht type of brakes? theres a good chance you'd be able to do it yourself with basic tools

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Thanks for your answer, but with respect, if I were able to do it myself, I wouldn’t have asked the question I asked.

And even if I could, I would need (as you point out) the tools. Which would also require a trip to the bike shop.

But to answer your questions; they are hydraulic disc brakes and absolutely nothing happens when I pull the rear brake lever. The lever has zero resistance and the pads do not move in the slightest. Pumping the lever might help if there was a bit of air in the system, but it makes no difference. I suspect the fluid has all leaked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Thanks for your answer, but with respect, if I were able to do it myself, I wouldn’t have asked the question I asked.

And even if I could, I would need (as you point out) the tools. Which would also require a trip to the bike shop.

But to answer your questions; they are hydraulic disc brakes and absolutely nothing happens when I pull the rear brake lever. The lever has zero resistance and the pads do not move in the slightest. Pumping the lever might help if there was a bit of air in the system, but it makes no difference. I suspect the fluid has all leaked out.

The pads could have worn out leaving the pistons fully extended?
    If there was a leak it would be visible. You could order a bleed kit in online for about 20€ depending on the make and mineral oil for 10-30 depending on the amount you order.
    What make of brake are they? You could just replace them. Alot of new brakes dont even need to be bled and can be installed as is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Tony04 wrote: »
    The pads could have worn out leaving the pistons fully extended?

Nope, the pads aren’t worn out. But thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Nope, the pads aren’t worn out. But thanks.
    Some older makes of shimano and cheaper makes of brakes can let you check the oil reservoir without any over spill. Bleeding isnt a hard job just messy. Although not worth it if your not going to use your bike again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your best bet is to ring around the bike shops or try to get them on facebook or mail, they won't be open to the general public as normal but may handle prearranged bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

try contacting the bikestation on facebook messanger

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Depending on your view on what constitutes an essential journey, and what side of Dundalk you're based, Ring of Gullion Cycles could be close enough. Just across the border so still open. I bought a bike for my son there just as our kickdown kicked in and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Advertisement