Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Doesn't have to be a rent reduction: just accept part payments and have a verbal agreement that you won't pursue arrears up to a certain level.

And what if the tenant refuses to return to the original level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Del2005 wrote: »
    Would the RTB agree with that though? A temporary rent reduction is a review.

The RTB has nothing to do with it, informal arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dav010 wrote: »
    And what if the tenant refuses to return to the original level?

Instigate normal procedure for non payment of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭dennyk

As others have said, a temporary deferral would be the best way to do this; it doesn't risk you getting locked into a lower rent due to the RPZ legislation or in the event of a total rent freeze. Give the tenants some time to get the social assistance they need and let them catch up on the payments when they're able.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I wouldn't trust the RTB not to view a temporary reduction as a review and stiff the landlord who tries to go back to the original rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

I'll defer if my tenants ask for it, or work out some temporary arrangement. Will have to decline any request for a permanent reduction in rent. Although in general, I would expect of any tenant that they'd have a couple of months rent saved for emergency situations such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

As for the other comment that they're "saving on childcare", does the poster there not realise most creches are still charging to retain places?

I thought this was put a stop to by the Gov a few wks back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dennyk wrote: »
    As others have said, a temporary deferral would be the best way to do this; it doesn't risk you getting locked into a lower rent due to the RPZ legislation or in the event of a total rent freeze. Give the tenants some time to get the social assistance they need and let them catch up on the payments when they're able.

What if the tenants say that it wasn't a temporary measure and have proof that they paid the lower amount? The RTB won't back a landlord over a tenant. It's a nightmare for a landlord trying to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would a letter informing them of their current balance of arrears help prove rent hasn't reduced? Same as the 14 day warning letter just without the warning and deadline to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would a letter informing them of their current balance of arrears help prove rent hasn't reduced? Same as the 14 day warning letter just without the warning and deadline to pay up.

Who knows? RTB land doesn't work by logic or fairness.

• Advertisement

Who knows? RTB land doesn't work by logic or fairness.

Anything that's not just a dig at the RTB? If the tenant acknowledged such a letter then I don't see how it could be argued that rent was reduced. Part payment has just been deferred.

Anything that's not just a dig at the RTB? If the tenant acknowledged such a letter then I don't see how it could be argued that rent was reduced. Part payment has just been deferred.

How is it a dig at the RTB? Can you guarantee that if the tenant refuses to go back to the original rate, the RTB will side with the LL?

How is it a dig at the RTB? Can you guarantee that if the tenant refuses to go back to the original rate, the RTB will side with the LL?
    I don't know the answer so I'm asking the question, hoping someone would have better insight than "the RTB doesn't work by logic".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Like most tenants they are just chancing their luck.

In short NO. It's hard enough in this country with the current laws to get any form of protection, if they don't like it offer them a well written reference and wish them luck in their search for new premises.

My expenses have gone up in the current climate, my tenants now at home more often causing unwanted wear and tear on my investments, will I be compensated for the extra wear and tear, not on your life.

:rolleyes: Yeah I think we all know the kind of landlord you are. Wouldn't worry about your "furnishing". I think we both know you use only the cheapest and tackiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wouldn't trust the RTB not to view a temporary reduction as a review and stiff the landlord who tries to go back to the original rent.

this will be a giant issue, id keep issuing notice of arrears every 14 days OP. just tell them that its a formality and make sure to send them a text or other communication very clearly stating that the rent amount is not reducing and no reductions will be coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I'll defer if my tenants ask for it, or work out some temporary arrangement. Will have to decline any request for a permanent reduction in rent. Although in general, I would expect of any tenant that they'd have a couple of months rent saved for emergency situations such as this.

2/10 but I can't wait to see the paragraphs of abuse that I assume are midway through being typed.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Originally Posted by Covidhaveago View Post
    I'll defer if my tenants ask for it, or work out some temporary arrangement. Will have to decline any request for a permanent reduction in rent. Although in general, I would expect of any tenant that they'd have a couple of months rent saved for emergency situations such as this

Another reason to hold a 6 month security deposit minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Its a pity us landlords cant burn them out of the houses like the old days

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

:rolleyes: Yeah I think we all know the kind of landlord you are. Wouldn't worry about your "furnishing". I think we both know you use only the cheapest and tackiest.

It's ok your type definitely couldn't afford my properties. So nothing to worry about there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Come on folks, some of these are way below an acceptable standard for A & P.

• Advertisement

I'll defer if my tenants ask for it, or work out some temporary arrangement. Will have to decline any request for a permanent reduction in rent. Although in general, I would expect of any tenant that they'd have a couple of months rent saved for emergency situations such as this

Where the hell do people get this 15 grand from?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know the answer so I'm asking the question, hoping someone would have better insight than "the RTB doesn't work by logic".

The RTB has an obvious bias against landlord's so in a case where the landlord agrees to a rent reduction and the tenant does not return to the original rent then there's a good chance that the RTB will side with the tenant, knowing how the RTB works they could even fine the landlord for an illegal rent review if they have done one in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

The RTB has an obvious bias against landlord's so in a case where the landlord agrees to a rent reduction and the tenant does not return to the original rent then there's a good chance that the RTB will side with the tenant, knowing how the RTB works they could even fine the landlord for an illegal rent review if they have done one in the last 12 months.

There is no fine for conducting an invalid rent review, unless you do it frequent enough to warrant an accusation of harassment.

Perhaps you are entirely mistaken about the RTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

I would have to agree with this interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

davindub wrote: »
    There is no fine for conducting an invalid rent review, unless you do it frequent enough to warrant an accusation of harassment.

Perhaps you are entirely mistaken about the RTB?

I would have thought the govt would have included rent reductions arrangements in the recent covid legislation.

Tenants can avail of state support

I'm not talking about a rent reduction though I'm talking about the tenant making a partial payment of what they can and the landlord sending a letter of arrears for the remainder, the same process as any other time except without the threat of termination, which is illegal right now. A tenant making an incomplete payment any other time wouldn't constitute a rent reduction so why would it now?

I'm not talking about a rent reduction though I'm talking about the tenant making a partial payment of what they can and the landlord sending a letter of arrears for the remainder, the same process as any other time except without the threat of termination, which is illegal right now. A tenant making an incomplete payment any other time wouldn't constitute a rent reduction so why would it now?

The problem may occur when you send a request for rent arrears to the tenant and the tenant refuses to pay. They may claim that you reviewed the rent downward and the RTB would have to rule on whether the notice of arrears/eviction notice due to rent arrears when this is over, is valid. There is no guarantee that the RTB will side with the LL. I know this is hypothetical, but the RTB can interpret situations in ways that don’t always seem logical or fair.

The risk is all on the LLs side.

The problem may occur when you send a request for rent arrears to the tenant and the tenant refuses to pay. They may claim that you reviewed the rent downward and the RTB would have to rule on whether the notice of arrears/eviction notice due to rent arrears when this is over, is valid. There is no guarantee that the RTB will side with the LL. I know this is hypothetical, but the RTB can interpret situations in ways that don’t always seem logical or fair.

The risk is all on the LLs side.
    Well if that's the case surely that could equally happen now or before the crisis, so the only thing you can do is follow the process in the RTA and issue a letter of arrears, the only difference being there's no threat of termination in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RinusLaptop76

You even give slumlords a bad name mate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

RinusLaptop76, don't post in this thread again.

Please read the forum charter if you wish to continue to post in A & P.

Advertisement