Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

beauf wrote: »
    Everyone would have to stop taking the proverbial.

The whole rental market needs proper overhaul so that tenants and LL have to improve their game and act like adults.

I like the way in other countries you hand back the property unfurnished and newly painted to a good standard. So hidden damage and garbage isn't left behind.

How would you deal with tenants who dont pay for the last month and feck off with their furniture overnight and leave the place in ****e, pipes disconnected, smoke alarms ripped off etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Edgware wrote: »
    How would you deal with tenants who dont pay for the last month and feck off with their furniture overnight and leave the place in ****e, pipes disconnected, smoke alarms ripped off etc

Multiple month's rent as deposit- same as any other country. The one month rent as a deposit lark- is almost unique to Ireland and the UK- and doesn't work in either jurisdiction. Mind you- the letting of furnished property- is also an Ireland/UK construct- that also doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

beauf wrote: »

That looks fair and reasonable.
    However, in an Irish context would 3 months rent as a deposit and all units let unfurnished fly?

That looks fair and reasonable.
    However, in an Irish context would 3 months rent as a deposit and all units let unfurnished fly?

You'd can answer that by looking at past experience.

Over the last 10-20yrs they've only increased protection for tenants and pretty much made nonsense of any protection for landlords.

Based on that no, never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Multiple month's rent as deposit- same as any other country. The one month rent as a deposit lark- is almost unique to Ireland and the UK- and doesn't work in either jurisdiction. Mind you- the letting of furnished property- is also an Ireland/UK construct- that also doesn't work.

Ive been looking for the last few days to try and take advantage of the extra properties coming on the market. Everyone wants 2 or 3 months deposit plus 1st month in advance too.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Ive been looking for the last few days to try and take advantage of the extra properties coming on the market. Everyone wants 2 or 3 months deposit plus 1st month in advance too.

If you have the funds- a larger deposit is a remarkably good bargaining tool to use to negotiate the monthly rent downwards (as the larger the deposit, the lower the perceived risk you pose). As for the first month in advance- everyone always pays their rent in advance- the local authorities tried to muddy the water by paying HAP in arrears- that blew up in their faces.

If you have the funds- a larger deposit is a remarkably good bargaining tool to use to negotiate the monthly rent downwards (as the larger the deposit, the lower the perceived risk you pose). As for the first month in advance- everyone always pays their rent in advance- the local authorities tried to muddy the water by paying HAP in arrears- that blew up in their faces.

I think thats where im heade alright. My finger is itchy to pull the trigger on one of them. But I dais I would give it another day to see if anything of even better value came up :) Might as well take advantage of the situation since ive nothing else to do for a few days :) I figure if I can get a nice place for a few hundred a month less than I think its worth then that will amount to time well spent as it accumulates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think thats where im heade alright. My finger is itchy to pull the trigger on one of them. But I dais I would give it another day to see if anything of even better value came up :) Might as well take advantage of the situation since ive nothing else to do for a few days :) I figure if I can get a nice place for a few hundred a month less than I think its worth then that will amount to time well spent as it accumulates

I am aware of a Dutch I.T. man coming to Dublin on a two year contract. He negotiated a nice discount by undertaking to pay the two year rental in four six month instalments.
    It suited the apartment owner who used the six month sum each payment to reduce his overall mortgage.
    Its not everyone could afford to do that but there are deals out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

And yes with tenants staying home, there is considerable wear and tear on my properties. Is the government going to offer me a handout to cover the extra losses on my properties. I think not.

Extra wear and tear on things like carpets, furniture, boilers, hot water systems just to name a few.
    I hope every heartless, money grubbing landlord like you ends up bankrupt, homeless and destitute.

"Extra wear and tear". Get over yourself. If you can't deal with people treating rentals as homes then don't be a landlord. Sell up and go do something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Draco wrote: »
    I hope every heartless, money grubbing landlord like you ends up bankrupt, homeless and destitute.

"Extra wear and tear". Get over yourself. If you can't deal with people treating rentals as homes then don't be a landlord. Sell up and go do something else.

Haven't you posted your massive chip on your shoulder post else where already ! I'm sure I've been this exact post already.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its a building they rent for money, not 'their' 'home'

Its a building they rent for money, not 'their' 'home'

Why is it referred to as a home then?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html#l0b797

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

You wouldn't be in one of my rentals. I only rent to people gainfully employed so no need for you to worry is there now.

Guys- come on- less of the aggression. If you disagree with what another poster posts- refute it factually- or if it is in breach of the forum charter- report it. This tit for tat- doesn't achieve anything. It doesn't cost anything to remain civil towards one another.

I have lost all track of this thread is about.

They all end up derailed back on the same dogma.

This wouldn't happen if the Govt got their finger out and clearly stated what happens to both tenant and LL in all these situations. Instead the silence is deafening.

As I said previously this is what needs to happen here:

1 month security deposit for unfurnished property.
    3 month security deposit for furnished property.
    This is held in a trust acct earning interest for the tenant at the same time. The deposit is refunded after final rent and inspections have taken place.
    It is my asset and I don't need to be told what i can and cant charge for the use of that asset. The market will dictate those rates not some government body being lobbied and bullied constantly by the meandering left.
    Rental arrears: a termination notice or comply order is issued when rent falls 21 days or greater behind. The tenant is given 14 days to bring arrears into order, if arrears aren't paid or a suitable arrangement made a termination notice is issued to tenant with 28 days notice. After 28 days LL can take back property with Gardi assistance if required. Locks are changed and possessions disposed of.

IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF A LL TO PROVIDE YOU WITH FREE ACCOMMODATION. THAT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY OR THAT OF THE STATE.

When adequate protection is given to LL's to protect THEIR asset then you we see more houses being built and funded and an easing of the rental crisis.

As I said previously this is what needs to happen here:

1 month security deposit for unfurnished property.
    3 month security deposit for furnished property.
    This is held in a trust acct earning interest for the tenant at the same time. The deposit is refunded after final rent and inspections have taken place.
    It is my asset and I don't need to be told what i can and cant charge for the use of that asset. The market will dictate those rates not some government body being lobbied and bullied constantly by the meandering left.
    Rental arrears: a termination notice or comply order is issued when rent falls 21 days or greater behind. The tenant is given 14 days to bring arrears into order, if arrears aren't paid or a suitable arrangement made a termination notice is issued to tenant with 28 days notice. After 28 days LL can take back property with Gardi assistance if required. Locks are changed and possessions disposed of.

IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF A LL TO PROVIDE YOU WITH FREE ACCOMMODATION. THAT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY OR THAT OF THE STATE.

When adequate protection is given to LL's to protect THEIR asset then you we see more houses being built and funded and an easing of the rental crisis.

While I agree with you, I dont think anything like this is going to happen.
    People dont get that if you make things more expensive for the provider of a service go up, the cost of that service goes up.

Then when you bring in 1 sided legislation, the only option when the provider gets squeezed is to leave the sector before they get squeezed beyond recovery. This dismantles supply and price of the service goes up again.

That is the train the rental sector is on now and it wont be stopping. Its heading at speed for a brick wall at the end of the track, so landlords are jumping off before it speeds up so much they cant get off.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    May you never have the need to be a tenant yourself.

Why I would make a great tenant. I would pay rent and treat someone else's property with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

Considering your post, is the exact reason I show no compassion to my tenants. People like you expect LL's to support you, we are not your bank nor family.

Then don't show it. The simple fact is the market we dictate it to you in the coming months, hopefully you won't come here winging about support for landlords when you are forced to reduce rents by 30%.

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    Then don't show it. The simple fact is the market we dictate it to you in the coming months, hopefully you won't come here winging about support for landlords when you are forced to reduce rents by 30%.

My rents wont be reducing by 30% at any stage. Not even a remote chance.

And for those who say I'm a bad LL. With my rental properties everything is included such as pool, gym, internet and cable tv and all bills covered, fully furnished and refurbed every 3 years with a team of 3 cleaners who come through the apartment once a week to clean, make beds, change linen and replace anything that needs fixing such as light globes, broken glasses etc. So if I'm considered a bad LL I would hate to see what your expectations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunflowers8

I’d like to hear what people’s opinions are on the level of rent if the tenant is not c living in the rented accommodation during the lockdown. This is the case with a lot of students, and young professionals who have moved back in with their families for the lockdown period. Obviously there is no wear and tear of the rented accommodation in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I’d like to hear what people’s opinions are on the level of rent if the tenant is not c living in the rented accommodation during the lockdown. This is the case with a lot of students, and young professionals who have moved back in with their families for the lockdown period. Obviously there is no wear and tear of the rented accommodation in this case.

If they've gone home for good, handed in their notice and taken all their stuff with them.................100% discount.

If they've left all their gear there and expect the rental to be kept open for them and waltz back in later................0% discount.

Can't have it both ways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

Anyone know if a tenant can be reported somewhere for a Health and Safety issue.

Like refusal to put bins out and dirty nappies and rubbish piling up in the back yard - attracting rats. There is about 10 people, including kids, living in the house on some sort of HAP scheme and the house each side has young kids. They live on my street. Appeard about a year ago and the landlord cant do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Start with environmental health at your local council. You can also take a third party complaint to the RTB.

mcgragger wrote: »
    Anyone know if a tenant can be reported somewhere for a Health and Safety issue.

Like refusal to put bins out and dirty nappies and rubbish piling up in the back yard - attracting rats. There is about 10 people, including kids, living in the house on some sort of HAP scheme and the house each side has young kids. They live on my street. Appeard about a year ago and the landlord cant do anything.

Each local authority has an environmental health officer.
    It would seem to me that they would be the appropriate first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

mcgragger wrote: »

Anyone in council housing and hap have to provide bin receipts to the council- its one of the conditions the council now have . If you contact the environmental officer they will send someone out to check and follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

Thanks all.
    I dont live in a council housing estate. Its quite a nice estate and two of the houses are rented out on my street.
    Its only 18 houses. I know the landlord well and he had leased to the council who are using the dwelling for HAP. I know this as multiple convos with LL have been had by alot of pissed off neighbours recently. There is nothing he can do and the tenants dont give a sh*t which is obvious by the way they carry on.
    We are paying high mortgages and this shower are creating a social nuisance ( another story altogether) and now a health and safety nuisance. The guy that lives next door directly is on the verge of actual violence at this stage. he cant take it anymore. Multiple times the police have been up. I have stayed out of it as its not right on my doorstep but I draw the line at rats. I have 3 young kids and they all play on the green by that house with all of the other kids on our street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nobody suggested you live on a council estate. The environmental health office at the council are still the right people to contact.

The next door neighbour should definitely consider a 3rd party complaint to the RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

The council pay hap , therefore they should be your first port of call - same with landlord if he has issues with unsocial behaviour and his tenants. In order to qualify for hap you have to provide proof from your bin company that you are paying for your waste . Environmental officer with the council can investigate this ..surprised that the landlord hasn't done all this already...

Advertisement