Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma - false flag

• 10-02-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Is Gemma ODoherty a plant by the secret global elite to discredit any establishment of a real right wing party in Ireland?

She appears to be the creation of some satirists idea of all the left wing attacks on right wing politics rolled into one.
    Who is really funding her? The left would have you think its the right wing Americans but could it be that it's really themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

caff wrote: »
    Is Gemma ODoherty a plant by the secret global elite.

No. She's just bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is a good theory in fairness. She has put the far right movement back decades in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I think she just lost the plot. What far right policy is actually going to work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is no plot. She's just completely mental. Had a total mental breakdown years ago and has never recovered from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The Nal wrote: »
    She has put the far right movement back decades in this country.

If she does that its a good days work.

• Advertisement

• I genuinely think she has some kind of illness

I genuinely think she has some kind of illness

Its a delusional illness she thinks she important and we should all listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I genuinely think she has some kind of illness

I agree.
    There was a time in Ireland that someone so Ill would be sectioned and cared for appropriately. I hate what she says but beleive she is really not well and needs proper help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Nal wrote: »
    This is a good theory in fairness. She has put the far right movement back decades in this country.

they manage that all by themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would be funny if twitter blocked her, but didn’t tell her they’d blocked her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

G.O'D sounds good to me. her previous live-streams with many different local councillors and the cross-dealing that they were dealing with at the local councils, was vindication of the governments deliberate indifference to all local people.

Also, like Eben Tranholm, in Denmark, she advocates a return to Catholicism.
    Some kind of faith is needed in this country, aside from the (though needed?) materialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

G.O'D sounds good to me. her previous live-streams with many different local councillors and the cross-dealing that they were dealing with at the local councils, was vindication of the governments deliberate indifference to all local people.

Some kind of faith is needed in this country, aside from the (though needed?) materialism.

We have enough problems without Catholicism making a comeback. good riddance to it. Gemma is very unwell. she needs help.

We have enough problems without Catholicism making a comeback. good riddance to it. Gemma is very unwell. she needs help.

Rome has been the rock of wonderful Europe for 2,000 years. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rome has been the rock of wonderful Europe for 2,000 years. ?

the women in mother and baby homes would disagree with you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is Gemma ODoherty a plant by the secret global elite to discredit any establishment of a real right wing party in Ireland?

She appears to be the creation of some satirists idea of all the left wing attacks on right wing politics rolled into one.
    Who is really funding her? The left would have you think its the right wing Americans but could it be that it's really themselves.

It's the most plausible theory that has anything to do with Gemma tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Gemma is the Uber-Karen.

Had this country not got enough of religion in the past. If we had more faith in ourselves it would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

She is crazy, but there is plenty people even more crazy than her but dont get noticed because they're on the left rather than right.

US2 wrote: »
    She is crazy, but there is plenty people even more crazy than her but dont get noticed because they're on the left rather than right.

I agree with that, it takes all kinds of nutballs in asylums

something about G.O'D and John Waters in the High Court yesterday,
    https://www.thejournal.ie/odoherty-waters-covid-19-legislation-high-court

It seems to be about 'striking down temporary restrictions', connected with the Health Act 1947, fado, fado.
    I don't know what the TDs have now added to this Act.

But, previous to, and aside from the Covid-19; those *"%'^@ TDs just seem to 'make' so many 'pieces' of legislation, maybe to just show that they are in the Dail.
    This country is coming down in Laws? (not just the Covid-19).

• Advertisement

something about G.O'D and John Waters in the High Court yesterday,
    https://www.thejournal.ie/odoherty-waters-covid-19-legislation-high-court

It seems to be about 'striking down temporary restrictions', connected with the Health Act 1947, fado, fado.
    I don't know what the TDs have now added to this Act.

But, previous to, and aside from the Covid-19; those *"%'^@ TDs just seem to 'make' so many 'pieces' of legislation, maybe to just show that they are in the Dail.
    This country is coming down in Laws? (not just the Covid-19).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The "something" with G'OD and Waters was them trying to take the government to court because they claim the lockdown laws are "unconstitutional".

A first year law student would take about 10 minutes to dismiss all of their claims as utter nonsense.

O'Doherty isn't "ill", she's a chancer. Lives for - and from - the clicks. Just like Hopkins does in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

She got sacked in 2014 for investigating Senior Gardai over the wiping of penalty points, and then sued and got a big payout that she's living off.

Her husband passed away shortly after, and I can only guess she took it very hard and didn't get any grief counselling, hence her current mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

You can never prove these things one way or another so I will just make some general points.

1. Political opposition to the lockdowns/masks etc has been successfully associated with deeply unpopular, shrill and dislikeable people like Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett who also take extreme positions on other issues. G'OD has waged a sort of anti-Public Relations campaign of alienating the Irish public. By coincidence or design she has effectively campaigned against the issues she claims to stand for. She has blackwashed the anti-restrictions cause. She has few to none real supporters and the same goes for Justin Barrett.
    2. Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters brought an incompetently-put-together legal challenge against the lockdown. The Establishment has no fear of dummy lawsuits which are destined to go nowhere so long as they are legally incorrect. This dead-on-arrival lawsuit didn't test the Constitutionality of the restrictions, but may have given some people the false impression that the restrictions had been tested and found Constitutional.
    3. John Waters said before that he and other journalists wrote revisionist history/propaganda at the behest of the Irish government. So, according to him, he previously wrote directly under government orders but now he is a free agent floating around, with his stupid hairstyle, opposing the government's policies in the most self-sabotaging manner possible? Okay.

I think that everyone should be very wary of these figures who spring up out of nowhere and associate sceptical-of-the-mainstream views with their own mad, bad and un-charming behaviour.

Alex Jones is another person who has damaged the issues he claims to champion, including by partisanising them and glomming on to Trump. If people think opposing policy x or y is a cause for the Republican Party then Democrats and Independents may be easily swayed to support policy x or y.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Yes. Because they are grifters using talking points to promote themselves and their grift to receptive people.

There's no reason to think that the government needs to people encourage like this. They'd do their thing regardless.

I think that if people on the right or who are "sceptical-of-the-mainstream" don't want to be associated with these grifters then maybe they need to do a better job addressing, confronting and debunking the grifters and other loons. The current tactic of dismissing them and ignoring them and pretending they don't exist doesn't seem to be working. And the tactic of claiming they are actually government/leftist crisis actors does a lot of damage.

But personally I think a lot of people don't want to do that because it draws uncomfortable comparisons and promotes critical thinking a bit too much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

It has gone nowhere. The turn out for Pope "Frankie" proved that.

I'm not sure anyone is pretending these people don't exist. I am addressing their existence head on.

I passed by an Anti-Corruption Ireland March before by chance and there were only a handful of people there. Whereas other demonstrations separate to them have had a thousand to a few thousand.

Serious opponents of lockdowns/masks should disassociate themselves from ACA, refuse to march with them and remind people that they have no standing and (almost) no supporters.

I'm not satisified with the 'grifter' explanation since it doesn't explain why these figures are so damaging to the causes they claim to promote. They don't need to engage in self-sabotage in order to draw donations from their potential supporters.

I could see why claiming O'Doherty is a plant would alienate ordinary people since conspiracy theories are themselves unpopular but my position on a conspiracy theory that seems plausible to me is that it usually can't be proven either way so its up to each person to either make an intuitive guess if they wish, or to refuse to do so if they demand incontrovertible evidence.

You assume that their goal is to further the cause. If their true goal is just to make money and generate attention, then it doesn't really matter if their actions damage or help their claimed goals. The self sabotage doesn't really hurt them if it gets them more attention, therefore more followers, therefore more money.

It's trivial for them to explain away any damage they cause to their followers even if their followers actually realise that they are causing that damage.

They could also just be a bit dumb and not realise that their actions are damaging or more damaging than they think they are.

It's not hard to imagine this. Grifters like this are everywhere.

But I'm sorry claiming a grifter is actually part of a government scheme to undermine people who are "sceptical" is a very paranoid conspiracy theory. It also can't be proven either way if they are actually aliens in disguise, this doesn't mean that claiming their might be is a reasonable thing to believe. Claiming such a think puts you on the same level as the claims that Gemma and Alex Jones claims.

This is even more so when you turn your question around. If they are actually government plants, why are they making it so obvious? Why make them make such wacky and laughable claims? Why not have them make "reasonable" points more in line with what you believe are the real positions, then undermine those points with say corruption or other shady things?

You're claiming that they are engaging in behaviour that does very minimal damage and exposes themselves as government plants. You are using this as the sole piece of evidence that they are govenrment plants.

Do you have any other reason beyond this to support the idea that they are government plants?

(Again to clarify, asking why you believe something and what supports those beliefs is not asking for proof, incontrovertible or otherwise.)

Again, rather than inventing more conspiracy theories to counter the conspiracy theorists who are discrediting you, why not just debunk what they say? Why not directly confront them and their followers and tell them that aren't welcome and don't represent the real movement?

@King Mob 'Why not directly confront them and their followers and tell them that aren't welcome and don't represent the real movement?'

I agree this is probably the best course of action.

• Advertisement

Great. So why invent unprovable contradictory conspiracy theories about them that only serve to discredit yourself?

Advertisement