Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naked Jogger?? Six Cross Roads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Overpaid? Have you seen their starting salaries? You could easily get more in a nice relaxing dev job as a computer programmer and you wouldn't get hassled by the public, have to work antisocial shifts and generally end up with the sh!ttiest jobs dealing with the pond life every community contains.

And I don't get the thing about overweight? Do people still think Gardaí can chase after a burglar and knock the living crap out of them?

I think people need to arm themselves with some facts regarding the day to day of our Gardaí.

Lern2kode

Just learn2code guize

Jesus wept. The average Gard is on a salary of 67k and that excludes pension. Which if taken together means an annual salary of 100k.

Now let's take job security. They have it, private sector workers don't.

What about pension types, they have a defined benefit pension which they don't pay much into. Private sector workers don't have one at all and even if they do it's fully paid into (defined contribution).

Next up retirement age. Private sector it's 67, Gardai mid 50's. So about 15 years extra work.

Qualifications? Few Ds in the leaving cert and a piss easy fitness test plus a grand total of 18 months in Templemore ( which they get paid for)

Pay scale based on time served. No proving yourself to your boss to get a raise or moving company to do the same.

The ability to rack up overtime. Most private sector places don't offer it at all.

You want to be a professional programmer with the same level of renumeration in this country? 4 year degree, thousands of hours of screen time, a portfolio and proven experience. And then its up to you to fight for your salary which can go up or down. Gardai is upward only or the entire union with threaten an illegal strike.

It's time some boardsies stopped the propaganda. I don't think it's too much to ask that our gardai can do the simple job of running more than 3 seconds without being completed winded to catch a baddie. We sure as **** pay them enough to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im afraid your big rush to be right has overruled any logic in your post. A quick perfunctory check on Garda salary will completely rubbish your figures but I am curious as to where you got your figure of the average salary of a Guard being 67k? That would be interesting to see.

Also, im in the private sector and the last 4 jobs I had offered incredible amounts of overtime, to the point where you could easily double your monthly salary if you put in the hours. The overtime was there, that's my point.

Oh- private sector workers have "no pension at all"?? Really? Are you going to stand over that. Jesus did, indeed, weep, and he has a lot to weep about today after that statement.

And im pretty sure anyone with even a tiny bit of experience can rubbish your childish rant on Garda fitness tests and qualifications.

Yeahhhh lets go by what they actually earn and not what their pay scale says. Total take home is what matters since the tax payer is on the hook for it. And that means talking about OVERTIME! They have a **** tonne of allowances too but Overtime and pension is the biggest expense.

So The total Garda overtime bill reached €132m in 2017, €98.5m in 2018 and €100m in 2019! Now considering there are only 14,000 gardai thats a hefty chunk of change. Not happy with my numbers? Well I got from the CSO and also the Dept of Public Expenditure, and it shows that AGS are the highest paid public servants full stop, with a starting salary of 30K and an average of about 68K.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If you’re under 35, then you do know there is nothing stopping you applying to join the Gardai if you think it’s that good of a job.

Oh nearly forgot to mention the gruelling physical test needed to become one of Irelands finest

Official Garda Youtube PE test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXo3roYoCUw

A short jog & sprint and 1 whole minute of Press ups & sit ups and then a whopping 2 hour break to recover. Phew!

And the rest of the qualifications needed? Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at Ordinary Level
    https://www.garda.ie/en/careers/why-should-i-join-an-garda-siochana-/garda-trainee-factsheet-2019.pdf

Since the start of Jan2019 the absolute minimum possible salary as a brand new Gard was €30,296!

• Advertisement

As a tax payer and citizen I want better value for my tax money. Is that too much to ask? Any time I have needed the Gards they have proved absolutely useless. Whether it was handing out incorrect forms, signing them in the wrong places, giving incorreect info at the desk or even when my gaff was robbed and they sent a letter 6 months later saying they lost the fingerprints so the case was closed. Or when they sent me a summons to attend court 4 whole days before I was supposed to be in court - because the gard at the station never bothered to record my proof of motor insurace after I had been stopped with a new policy and no disc (but had the email).
    Or how about when they say theyll be there in 10 minutes and then dont turn up at all. Or when they threatened an illegal strike in 2016 and ended up getting a 50million euro raise. Or that time they all committed fraud with penalty points and nothing was done.

Citizens deserve value for money and accountability. Not cop outs like "shure just join em if its so good."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder that people putting themselves in harms way aren't just getting minimum wage.

No its more like their pay and pensions are bankrupting the country (as is all public service pay and pensions) and they've been doing their level best to halt change and improvements wherever possible. The best thing that ever happened the Irish people regarding the Gards was the appointment of Drew Harris. Up until then it was scandal ridden, secretive and an absolute money pit. We still need transparency and accountability though.

But shure maybe Ive just a chip on me shoulder, nothing to do with whats good for the good people of Ireland who need security, but end up getting nothing but higher taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thread ruined

/out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

purifol0 wrote: »
    Gardai is upward only or the entire union with threaten an illegal strike.

Gardai got substantial pay cuts imposed on them, same as all other public servants did, and which still haven't been fully reversed over ten years later.
    It's time some boardsies stopped the propaganda.

Sure is. All of your posts are ignorant, factually incorrect, rants against the public sector.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Gardai got substantial pay cuts imposed on them, same as all other public servants did, and which still haven't been fully reversed over ten years later.

Sure is. All of your posts are ignorant, factually incorrect, rants against the public sector.

I'm spitting truth son, I am sorry you don't want to hear it. All my stats are backed up, as for Gardai suffering cuts you do realise that paying them (and the rest of the PS) a small fortune when the country was flat broke was and is unsustainable. We are now at 16% unemployment and back at 200Bn debt and a tax take thats on the floor, so why is it only private sector workers should endure huge pay cuts? Where is the money to pay for their massive salaries going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So you think that people who are still working should not be paid in order to satisfy your bizarre sense of grievance? :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Nope just have their pay reduced to a level that the country can actually afford. Every other employer has cut wages in the last month and the staff have either agreed to a pay cut or decided to jump ship. Public sector an outlier of course, the private sector tax payer will just get fleeced more to pay for it, already this year the retirement age went up BUT ONLY for the private sector. Is that just?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nope just have their pay reduced to a level that the country can actually afford. Every other employer has cut wages in the last month and the staff have either agreed to a pay cut or decided to jump ship. Public sector an outlier of course, the private sector tax payer will just get fleeced more to pay for it, already this year the retirement age went up BUT ONLY for the private sector. Is that just?

What about the politicians? You can be sure absolutely none of them are taking a cent from their wages and they earn multiples of what the most experienced Guard will ever earn. And the banks? Private sector- some of them earn hundreds of thousands and get massive pensions too, why not direct your ire at them? And im not even sure why they would do that, where would the extra money go to? The HSE? That's a money pit anyway so I think, although im certainly not a fan of the wages that the politicians pocket, now isn't the time for such a debate. Right now we need to flatten that curve however possible!

I think your rant at the Gardaí is completely out of context to our current health situation and long term goals.

Plenty of blame to go around. But this thread is about a fat Gard that cant catch a naked jogger. As for the politicians well a few years back they ganged up on the taxpayer in cahoots with civil servants and PubSec unions linked their pay to that of a principal officer in the CS. Thus every time the PS pay increased so do theirs. Banks gambled and WON, because govt decided to bail them out. No longer private sector since they've been nationalised either now are they. Bit harsh to lump them in with the rest of the private sector businesses that dont get a bailout no?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Plenty of blame to go around. But this thread is about a fat Gard that cant catch a naked jogger. As for the politicians well a few years back they ganged up on the taxpayer in cahoots with civil servants and PubSec unions linked their pay to that of a principal officer in the CS. Thus every time the PS pay increased so do theirs. Banks gambled and WON, because govt decided to bail them out. No longer private sector since they've been nationalised either now are they. Bit harsh to lump them in with the rest of the private sector businesses that dont get a bailout no?

Honestly, I think you should just start a blog to post your rants.
    More people might read them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Every other employer has cut wages in the last month and the staff have either agreed to a pay cut or decided to jump ship.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

...this thread is about a fat Gard that cant catch a naked jogger.
    No, this thread is about a naked jogger out by the six cross roads. The piece about the fat cop is incidental but you brought it front and centre to suit your own agenda.

It's telling that you can quote the lowest garda wage almost to the euro but you can't/won't work out the average garda wage correctly, it's €51k btw not 67 or 68 as you state.

As an employer I have no great love for the public sector myself, but I've no hatered of them or agenda against them. Your views are so skewed you are looking sideways at the issue.

No, this thread is about a naked jogger out by the six cross roads. The piece about the fat cop is incidental but you brought it front and centre to suit your own agenda.

It's telling that you can quote the lowest garda wage almost to the euro but you can't/won't work out the average garda wage correctly, it's €51k btw not 67 or 68 as you state.

As an employer I have no great love for the public sector myself, but I've no hatered of them or agenda against them. Your views are so skewed you are looking sideways at the issue.

2018 Average garda salary was 67K. If its lower now its because they took on a whole load of recruits and the govt told the comissioner to reign in overtime. Also you havent provided a link or year for your stat. Please do. Also that average you quote - how much is it when you factor in the pension & why did you leave that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Apparently this was his car

Very dangerously parked on that corner. Damn foreign types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

alta stare wrote: »
    That was the cops who swung in front of him. The Gard had no chance in catching him anyway. How are Gardai allowed to be that fat when they are at some point expected to run after someone.

All that fat gives them the energy 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

JohnC. wrote: »
    You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder that people putting themselves in harms way aren't just getting minimum wage.

It's probably an emotional reaction. Which is fair enough. They ruined your day. But what I want to know is why Purifol0 was running naked to Tesco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

I thought this thread was about the Naked Jogger - Six Mile Cross my theory is that some irate farmer spotted the English Registered Car presumed he had just come off a ferry and was enroute to his Holiday Home in Wexford during the Quarantine and rammed yer man off the road, dragged him out of the car, stripped the poor bast**d naked and sent him running for his life through the fields being persued by a bunch of rednecks armed with pitch forks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

bodyguard1 wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about the Naked Jogger - Six Mile Cross my theory is that some irate farmer spotted the English Registered Car presumed he had just come off a ferry and was enroute to his Holiday Home in Wexford during the Quarantine and rammed yer man off the road, dragged him out of the car, stripped the poor bast**d naked and sent him running for his life through the fields being persued by a bunch of rednecks armed with pitch forks :)
    With Benny hill music playing in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

zR6ZX_E4cKg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

2018 Average garda salary was 67K. If its lower now its because they took on a whole load of recruits and the govt told the comissioner to reign in overtime. Also you havent provided a link or year for your stat. Please do.
    Lead by example, provide a link to the €67k you mention, or is it €68k, you mention that too.
    Also that average you quote - how much is it when you factor in the pension & why did you leave that out?
    Contributory pensions are in both public and private sector so it's a little redundant in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Give it a rest guys. Its well known what a guard earns.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/garda%C3%AD-are-best-paid-public-servants-earning-1-300-a-week-1.3715038

1300*52 = €67600

Not exactly rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

debok wrote: »
    With Benny hill music playing in the background

Ah yes Yakety Sax (the name of the music) thanks I've just passed a pleasant half an hour watching Benny Hill chases on you tube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Lead by example, provide a link to the €67k you mention, or is it €68k, you mention that too.

Contributory pensions are in both public and private sector so it's a little redundant in this context.

Very hard to find a job with a pension in the private sector. Please show some examples.

• Advertisement

No problem whatsover:

hHVsN78.png

Now it's your turn to provide your source!

Advertisement