Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dangerous lies.

Can you back that up with anything substantial like evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Can you back that up with anything substantial like evidence

Dr Fauci has said that it might be possible for the virus to be suspended in the fine mist(aerosol) of a breath particularly heavy breathing.They do not know for sure yet.

Therefore what RobinPh said is incorrect and is dangerous because it could put people in harm's way if they were to believe what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dr Fauci has said that it might be possible for the virus to be suspended in the fine mist(aerosol) of a breath particularly heavy breathing.They do not know for sure yet.

Explains why all the massage parlors are shut here in The Netherlands so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    Explains why all the massage parlors are shut here in The Netherlands so!!!

Jaysus they better be open by October!! :pac:

On another note it's great to have over 3 weeks more to annoy the snowflakes by dragging my slow, fat, sweat dripping ass around the crowded footpaths of D9/D11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Therefore what RobinPh said is incorrect and is dangerous because it could put people in harm's way if they were to believe what he said.

Like America has done a really good job on this
    I'd rather take medical advice from Ewan McKenna or Wifi Paddy from web summit

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1248699772875075584?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Dr Fauci has about as much credibility as Dr Quinn Medicine woman

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Like America has done a really good job on this
    I'd rather take medical advice from Ewan McKenna or Wifi Paddy from web summit

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1248699772875075584?s=19

Fauci doesn't make the decisions. Trump does

niallo32 wrote: »
    Dr Fauci has about as much credibility as Dr Quinn Medicine woman

Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You backed it up with a quote using the word “might” - hardly definitive, sounds more like a theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Don't kid yourself, if Dr Fauci didnt give Trump the advice and recommendations he wants, he would fire him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And there's no need for walkers to hog up the whole of the footpath.

Get into single file at the side when somebody else is coming the opposite direction.

Get off their phones, especially when out with their kids.

Stop leaving dog sh1t behind.

Take out their headphones, be aware of others around them.

Eh, apart from the phones (which don’t affect others) Yes.

You obviously missed the bit where I suggested that everyone be considerate and look out for each other.

Like previous posters you just adopt the extreme opposite position and dig in. It’s incredibly childish.
    robinph wrote: »
    The runner would need to be living in the same house as the walker.

Otherwise any transmission isn't happening unless they both stop and cough into each others mouths.

At best, your post is misleading. At worst it’s downright dangerous. How can you possibly claim this as fact ? Can you link to your source ?

And why was a poster admonished earlier on this thread for “spreading misinformation” on Covid when It was the results from a study yet you can post this dangerous made up nonsense with impunity ?

I don’t want an answer by the way, just making the point.

I know a number of people who have contracted Covid 19 somewhere in the community and they have no idea where and when they picked it up. None were out of the country and all were following the guidelines.

You may not care who gets this or who passes it on but I have to take care of my elderly parents and so I do care because it could kill them.

The selfishness on display here is off the charts.

I’ll leave ye all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Plenty of room for everyone to exercise safely within the guidelines.

Have the cyclist-baiting drivers of Ireland repurposed themselves as runner-bashing walkers, now that their keys are rarely in the ignition?

‘Don’t even pay road tax, Joe.’

:rolleyes:

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You backed it up with a quote using the word “might” - hardly definitive, sounds more like a theory?

Correct, it's not certain. That's why it's dangerous for RobinPh to tell people they can't spread or contract the virus when out running. The scientists dont know for sure yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

At best, your post is misleading. At worst it’s downright dangerous. How can you possibly claim this as fact ? Can you link to your source ?

If you think my post was in anyway official advice on how to conduct yourself whilst out for a run then you have other issues. Someone asked what was the risk of catching the virus whilst out for a run, I gave a couple of daft and never going to happen scenarios. Not in anyway a serious response.

I don't need to prove anything because I didn't claim anything. If someone can show exactly how the virus is transmitted though then I know a planet which would be interested in the information.

We do know that people are getting it from others from close contact for an extended duration. On the ranking of risky activities to do with someone with the virus from living with then, visiting their house, going to the pub with them, passing them in the supermarket and being overtaken by them running outside, the running outside isn't even on the same scale of risk.

Unless of course you have something to show otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Correct, it's not certain. That's why it's dangerous for RobinPh to tell people they can't spread or contract the virus when out running. The scientists dont know for sure yet.

And it’s dangerous and wrong of you to accuse her of telling lies...

She may (or may not) be incorrect, but that doesn’t mean she is telling lies..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

walshb wrote: »
    And it’s dangerous and wrong of you to accuse her of telling lies...

She may (or may not) be incorrect, but that doesn’t mean she is telling lies..

I seem to remember a request from HunnyMonster back in the day for me to post a picture of me wearing a running Skort.

It's still not happening. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Wait,what? ropinph is female? I always had them down as being male...funny.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Wait,what? ropinph is female? I always had them down and being male...funny.

Males giving birth to babies? Never heard of it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Well I dont read every single post on here do I. I just recognize that username from the park run thread. Always assumed they were Male.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Well I dont read every single post on here do I. I just recognize that username from the park run thread. Always assumed they were Male.

I was jossing!

• Advertisement

:eek:

Now that's part of my life I don't remember.

Excellent article page 6 the sports section of the Indo. Puts a lot of stuff in perspective....what a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

'nuff said so

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

Excellent article page 6 the sports section of the Indo. Puts a lot of stuff in perspective....what a challenge!

Great article on Mary Cullen. She mentions the importance of running for her mental health, given all the misfortune she’s had.

She was a great talent and it shows the small margins between success and failure. Wishing her the best of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Getting a run in every 2nd day. Have to say I'm finding pedestrians and motorists fine to deal with. Plenty of courtesy and little nods from all parties!! Cyclists, I don't see them anywhere, they've either joined us running or on the turbos, amazing. I've seen so much innovation with the 2km from home rule. Hill sprints, 5K time trials, I spotted a family of four running around a field yesterday. The guys in the estate mark out a 200 metre loop today in the green area and this morning my local parkrun held a virtual parkrun with briefing and warmup via Zoom. It was nice to see everyone.

I have noticed that a lot of the top top runners I follow on Strava have just completely disappeared from my feed. I'm going to assume they have gone private and may be still covering big miles but at least they aren't encouraging others to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Otherwise any transmission isn't happening unless they both stop and cough into each others mouths.

Considering that a poster got carded for "misinformation " earlier this post should definitely be removed as it's dangerous misinformation.

We don't know the minimal infective dose of this disease, it may be and would fit it's high spread (thankfully much less lethal) to be similar to that of the first SARs so it's safer to run on the idea that it only needs a few hundred viruses.

We have evidence about droplet production
    See here

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=respiratory+droplets+at+rest&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DaNmD39FbTjsJ

We have evidence that increased breathing speed increases aerosol generation so runners are a greater risk factor than walkers.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_lookup?journal=J+Aerosol+Med+Pulm+Drug+Deliv&title=The+mechanism+of+breath+aerosol+formation&author=GR+Johnson&author=L+Morawska&volume=22&publication_year=2009&pages=229-237&pmid=19415984&

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Considering that a poster got carded for "misinformation " earlier this post should definitely be removed as it's dangerous misinformation.

We don't know the minimal infective dose of this disease, it may be and would fit it's high spread (thankfully much less lethal) to be similar to that of the first SARs so it's safer to run on the idea that it only needs a few hundred viruses.

See here

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=10&q=respiratory+droplets+at+rest&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DaNmD39FbTjsJ

We have evidence that increased breathing speed increases aerosol generation so runners are a greater risk factor than walkers.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_lookup?journal=J+Aerosol+Med+Pulm+Drug+Deliv&title=The+mechanism+of+breath+aerosol+formation&author=GR+Johnson&author=L+Morawska&volume=22&publication_year=2009&pages=229-237&pmid=19415984&

Do you understand what you googled? Not sure I do, but doesn't it indicate that talking produces greater levels than breathing? Not sure about you, but I certainly don't talk to myself or anyone when running, but I've seen a good amount of walking families having a good chat.

Now if you are a scientist I'd appreciate if you would explain those 2 Google links in layman's terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

See here

Honestly,other than the fact that you referred to viral particles(virion) as "100's of viruses" which would automatically discount all your scientific credibility. You have missed the crucial part, although aerosol size and concentration did increase with higher inhalation rates, the droplet sizes were still so small that it did not effect evaporation rate, less than .8 seconds.

If you read other papers and Micheal Ostherholm talked about this on the Joe Rogan podcast a month or so ago, It is not until you get to almost two and a half times the diameter of the aerosol particles mentioned in your studies that you get a significantly slowed evaporation rate known as non-equilibrium evaporation.

Now you can say the concentration is higher so that raises a risk but you are talking about something so insignificant that it's not even worth talking about because if you are any distance away from someone, the particles will be gone and if passing by someone on the street while running where you might exhale once while been withing a couple of meters of them and only having a .8 second window of them and that also been enough exposure to pass on the virus and them also inhaling is absolutely an insane position to hold as calling dangerous. If the virus was that proficient and that contagious, the reproduction rate would be colossal and would be the most contagious thing known to man by an order of huge magnitudes, instead it was 3 pre-lockdown while something like measles has been known to a reproduction rate of 16-20 people infected by one person.

every single medical worker in the country would have it, all of their families, anyone even remotely close to them and john down the road who chatted to you in the shop for 5 seconds two months ago. Instead, we have 9,000 cases out of 4.5 million people. So my advice to you is quit the fearmongering and use some common sense jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

So my advice to you is quit the fearmongering and use some common sense jesus.

Common sense Jesus is my favourite Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Daaaammmnnn, not sure if the thread will recover from that

Advertisement