Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Calender

Options
  • 14-11-2019 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know when there will be information for triathlons/duathlons for 2020? I have never done any tri events before but have been training over the winter hoping to make a start in the new year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

triathlon ireland race calendar, although today its not showing up anything
    runireland
    popupraces
    myrunresults

lots of websites with lists of races

google any / all of the above and see whats going on
    your local triathlon clubs facebook page will probably have something on it, and they possibly run club races

duathlons will get going after christmas , triathlons from may on , with the exception of pool based ones which can be earlier

if your based in the west, the ireland west duathlon series is worth a look, check them out on facebook , but there are duathlons all over , phoenix park has a series as well, later in the year i think though

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

end of november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Still no sign of the Race Calendar being finalized, any idea on the hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Cona wrote: »
    Still no sign of the Race Calendar being finalized, any idea on the hold up?

The national series and champs was published weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Hell of the West is open for entry from today (Standard NC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hell of the West is open for entry from today (Standard NC)

First borne son the entry price?

tunney wrote: »
    First borne son the entry price?

€79, and its still open for entry. Think it was €90 in previous years which seems to have caused a bit of a protest. I've only done it the once but looking forward to it again. Bring on the breakers.

€79, and its still open for entry. Think it was €90 in previous years which seems to have caused a bit of a protest. I've only done it the once but looking forward to it again. Bring on the breakers.

HOTW has been taking entries almost two weeks now and its still available to enter. Just a few years ago it used sell out in minutes, people would have several browsers open frantically trying to get in, people looking for transfers for months after... Its considered one of the premier races in Ireland, have people been turned off from the price rise a couple of years back, or some other reason?

(BTW this isn't a pop at LTC or the organising committee who put on a great show, I've entered anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

They use to release entries in tranches a few years ago no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

HOTW has been taking entries almost two weeks now and its still available to enter. Just a few years ago it used sell out in minutes, people would have several browsers open frantically trying to get in, people looking for transfers for months after... Its considered one of the premier races in Ireland, have people been turned off from the price rise a couple of years back, or some other reason?

(BTW this isn't a pop at LTC or the organising committee who put on a great show, I've entered anyway)

I think the large increase in entry fee a few years ago left a very bitter taste for many. I haven't done the race since but it is entirely down to having young kids and not having time the last few years! Looking forward to going back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

EC1000 wrote: »
    I think the large increase in entry fee a few years ago left a very bitter taste for many. I haven't done the race since but it is entirely down to having young kids and not having time the last few years! Looking forward to going back soon.

I guess it's still the most expensive oly race in Ireland.

At the same time their other race joey Hanon which is most likely the best value oly distance race in Ireland hasn't sold out either.
    So I guess people just not as keen to enter races in January and as somebody pointed out the race had usually 2 entry dates.
    What's also to note is with iron-man Cork 2 weeks earlier that has an impact and overall there is an abundance of races in the south West

Racing 796 Carlow Sprint is open now for entries- again this is a good race which usually sells out quickly, even at the hefty €60 entry fee (that's the Market I guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

I'd love to do it again - best Olympic race in my book. However, comes a week too late for me (work), did it a few times when it was at the end of June.

All Lough Cutra races are cancelled- including the NC Aquathon and Aquabike. I guess its to be expected, pity as they always put on a slick operation. Hopefully they will be back for 2021.

Not sure where that leaves the NC's for those events- hopefully they might be held at a later race in the season. Gotta stay hopeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

saw that. Looks from the email sent that they are trying to re-arrange events for later in the year and have been able to schedule some of them in (although a moving feast so we'll see when the time comes)

There won't be an event this year.

Once we get a gradual let up everyone still has to get this virus and that will need to be done in a controlled fashion, and sporting events won't be part of it.

tunney wrote: »
    There won't be an event this year.

Once we get a gradual let up everyone still has to get this virus and that will need to be done in a controlled fashion, and sporting events won't be part of it.

Why wouldn't sporting events be part of controlled infection? The healthiest portion of the population going about their business as normal would be the best way to organise transmission rates. Numbers might be limited, but I'd expect several races across the island to go ahead after 30th June. Worth training towards that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Why wouldn't sporting events be part of controlled infection? The healthiest portion of the population going about their business as normal would be the best way to organise transmission rates. Numbers might be limited, but I'd expect several races across the island to go ahead after 30th June. Worth training towards that anyway.

I think limiting entries is the only way a race can happen. But with limited numbers, the club / organiser likely unable to make a profit or break even. I can’t see races happening this season.

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I think limiting entries is the only way a race can happen. But with limited numbers, the club / organiser likely unable to make a profit or break even. I can’t see races happening this season.

Well you can reduce costs no shirt swags liKe
    medals and then you can male a small profit wirh smaller numbers.
    And for the races that will run this year I guess there will get goodwill for next year

Harrdman has run for 9 years now and I do t think the full had ever more than 150 people more like 110 people and in guess most peope who have done te race would see him to get 200 .

It's glass had full vs glass half empty you could have a female race and then a male race later
    so maybe a oly has to become a sprint to get that done but there is ways

Or you do races where there is first the swim in waves then a rest and then the bike and run
    or more Aquathons which are more flexible to run you could have 10 waves of 500 people and each wave registers St a different time an open wave and age group waves etc etc

• Advertisement

Reckon Aquathlons would be the way to go alright, either staggered or limited numbers.

Bike racking would be a difficult thing to manage for full Tri's, if social distancing continues to be a thing. And good luck enforcing a 2m gap during the bike race itself :P

Reckon Aquathlons would be the way to go alright, either staggered or limited numbers.

Bike racking would be a difficult thing to manage for full Tri's, if social distancing continues to be a thing. And good luck enforcing a 2m gap during the bike race itself :P

Well I would say the guys from the castle series manage flowing transitions very well so it can be done

And who says you could not start the race with the bike withn 20 sec gaps and then swim and run that would work for a race like 2 provinces

peter kern wrote: »
    Well I would say the guys from the castle series manage flowing transitions very well so it can be done

And who says you could not start the race with the bike withn 20 sec gaps and then swim and run that would work for a race like 2 provinces

Actually if anything comes from this, using the Castle series transitions as a template would be a positive. They are head and shoulders above TI transition guidelines, should be something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Actually if anything comes from this, using the Castle series transitions as a template would be a positive. They are head and shoulders above TI transition guidelines, should be something to aim for.

What is different and how does it work? Never been at one!

EC1000 wrote: »
    What is different and how does it work? Never been at one!

The main benefit is allowing those finished into trans to collect their bikes, while at the same time allowing slower/later waves in from their bike leg, and out into their run. Marshalls handle all this very well. It might help that swimIN/bikeOUT are seperate to bikeIN, and bikeIN is also where bikes are checked/exited.

Doesn't seem like anything revolutionary but it works very well in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Has anyone gotten a refund from Castle Triathlon Lough Cutra triathlon for this year?

All other races I entered gave refunds.

Edit: they are not giving refunds.

darragh_k wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a refund from Castle Triathlon Lough Cutra triathlon for this year?

All other races I entered gave refunds.

I think it's really bad form they are refusing to give refunds and instead are allowing the athletes to take the financial hit for them.

This is the same crowd who introduced a five euro fee for spectators at the event a few years ago!!

The same crowd who have races in England and France where they can make money!!

People should demand refunds.

Did they say that they were not going to give refunds?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Yes, option to transfer to another race this year or to the 2021 race but no refunds at all. Waved the admin fee for next year which was nice.....

darragh_k wrote: »
    People should demand refunds.

I don't think they are offering refunds. To give a different viewpoint, I don't think people should demand refunds. These are exceptional times, they will have had significant capital costs already, and if deferring to next year helps ensure there will be a next year, I'm happy to defer.

Appreciate not everyone will feel the same (and plenty will also have lost jobs etc and could do with the refund), but a lot of race organisers (and a lot of tri clubs) will have a huge financial hit in 2020, through no fault of their own. Those that afford to do so could help them survive by deferring fees where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

People should have the option to defer. I've no issue with that of course.

I will re enter every race which has given refunds.

It's not for them to decide, it's a crap situation for everyone but it's not my business problem.
    I don't think they are offering refunds. To give a different viewpoint, I don't think people should demand refunds. These are exceptional times, they will have had significant capital costs already, and if deferring to next year helps ensure there will be a next year, I'm happy to defer.

Appreciate not everyone will feel the same (and plenty will also have lost jobs etc and could do with the refund), but a lot of race organisers (and a lot of tri clubs) will have a huge financial hit in 2020, through no fault of their own. Those that afford to do so could help them survive by deferring fees where possible.

Advertisement