Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

As of now BST / Hyde Park gig hasn't been cancelled, but events like Glastonbury, Download, and Isle of Wight have been.

What are the chances that this'll actually go ahead in July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

As of now BST / Hyde Park gig hasn't been cancelled, but events like Glastonbury, Download, and Isle of Wight have been.

What are the chances that this'll actually go ahead in July?

None whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

None whatsoever.

My thinking too. They released a holding statement a couple of days ago but it's inevitable that it will be at worst, cancelled, at best, postponed until next year.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deenie78

Be great if it was postponed, at least tickets might still be valid, but agree, this isn't happening in July

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Deenie78 wrote: »
    Be great if it was postponed, at least tickets might still be valid, but agree, this isn't happening in July

Most gigs will be postponed over cancelled, the acts will want to tour. Unless they change their plans which would require cancellation, nothing to worry about

EDIT: What do I know, promoters have cancelled it. Cant really blame the band for that, interesting to see how that one works out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Hyde Park is officially cancelled

Yep, gutted. Was really looking forward to that one. I hope the reschedule it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭ Lea Rapping Tundra

1. Ten
    2. No Code
    3. Vs
    4. Yield
    5. Vitalogy
    6. Riot Act
    7. Lost dogs
    8. binaural
    9. Backspacer
    10. Lightning Bolt

Probably don't count but ............

Live in atlanta dissident 1994,the sound from it is incredible, and the den haag holland (bootleg from 1992 its a classic imo)

AVACADO ?

Speaking of which ,has anyone heard the 2017 Brendan O ‘ Brien mix of the album ? I’d be in a minority of those who prefer his Redux mix of ‘TEN ‘ to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Inevitably Gigaton is being compared to PJs back catelogue. I've seen many articles proclaiming that it is well up there, but not as good as Ten, Vs and Vitalogy. I get the Ten and Vs reference alright, but IMO Vitalogy is overrated. THere are 14 songs, and at least half of them are filler. 4 of them aren't even songs. Songs like Spin, Last exit, whipping, satans bed are alright. Middle of the road type of tunes. It has top tunes like Better Man, Immortality, Nothing Man, Corduroy.

Gonna have to disagree with your take on Vitalogy. For me, it is their best work and the jewel in the crown of those first five albums on which the band can stake their reputation. Vitalogy found the band at their most creative and experimental and is possibly their darkest work. Satan's Bed is an absolute gallop of a song with an urgency unmatched by even most of their early work. Whipping is not far off it and Last Exit is a great opener.

There are definitely low points on the album. Spin the Black Circle I agree is forgettable. Bugs is a mistake and heyfoxy... has to be some kind of joke but the former is short and skippable and the latter is can be treated like a bonus track with Immortality being the true album closer.

It's a shame the band couldn’t work things out with Abbruzesse. He really brought an energy and dynamism to the band that they've never had again. And the variety of work on display in Vitalogy gives it a range which makes repeated listening easy.

Glad you’re enjoying the new album though. Haven’t listened to anything since Avocado. Might give this one a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Gonna have to disagree with your take on Vitalogy. For me, it is their best work and the jewel in the crown of those first five albums on which the band can stake their reputation. Vitalogy found the band at their most creative and experimental and is possibly their darkest work. Satan's Bed is an absolute gallop of a song with an urgency unmatched by even most of their early work. Whipping is not far off it and Last Exit is a great opener.

There are definitely low points on the album. Spin the Black Circle I agree is forgettable. Bugs is a mistake and heyfoxy... has to be some kind of joke but the former is short and skippable and the latter is can be treated like a bonus track with Immortality being the true album closer.

It's a shame the band couldn’t work things out with Abbruzesse. He really brought an energy and dynamism to the band that they've never had again. And the variety of work on display in Vitalogy gives it a range which makes repeated listening easy.

Glad you’re enjoying the new album though. Haven’t listened to anything since Avocado. Might give this one a whirl.

Ok. Fair enough. I used to listen to Vitalogy a lot many moons ago. But I think in hindsight that was out of blind love that, after all, it is Pearl Jam so I am damn well going to listen to it until I adore it. I played the obscure tracks over and over again because I felt it was me that must be missing something. But I kinda feel that it was a bit of the emperors new clothes. Anyway, enough negativity out of me. It is a good album; it's just that I don't feel it should be levelled as one of the "big three". But there are thousands out there that love it; so be it.

Anyway, give the new one a spin. I think it has quality. It has a bounce in it that makes me look forward to revisiting it. Right from the beginning. You mentioned words like experimental, dark, gallop, urgency. I don't think that would summarise Gigaton. I prefer the more melodic Pearl Jam. Half way though the opener, WHo ever said, the tempo changes. It's that kinda tempo that I like. And the likes of superblood wolfman. Seven O'Clock is a cool tune too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Got the email about Hyde Park during the week, disappointing but understandable. I'd be much happier about seeing the band in UK next year than in July this year. I don't see a gig here next year. Ireland is way down the queue for gigs. The new album though, its great, I've not enjoyed an album from PJ all the way through since Avocado. The intro to Quick Escape still gives me goosebumps.

I've just seen the top albums for everyone. Surprised by the love for Ten. Anyway here's mine.

1 - VS.
    2 - Yield
    3 - No Code
    4 - Avocado
    5 - Riot Act
    6 - Vitalogy
    7 - Ten
    8 - Binaural
    9 - Lightning Bolt
    10 - Backspacer

Gigaton would slot nicely into 5th in my list. Stronger than Riot Act but nothing on it comes close to Severed Hand on Avocado.

VS .....the masterpiece

Ten (Redux)
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code

Gigaton
    Avocado
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Riot Act

Lightning Bolt......the turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I'm always intrigued how Vs. is considered their best album by a lot of people. For me 10 is a perfect album. Is it because 10 can sound a bit dated whereas Vs. doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Who Ever Said is one of the worst PJ songs I ever heard.

Lads I'm always intrigued how Vs. is considered their best album by a lot of people. For me 10 is a perfect album. Is it because 10 can sound a bit dated whereas Vs. doesn't?

TEN is a classic too , no doubt. I prefer the O’Brien remix because it removes the reverb and general swampiness that can make the original a fatiguing listen at times.
    VS was a reaction to the overwrought production of TEN .
    VS is sparser, leaner and more raw. It veers from primal, aggressive violence to hushed , gentle melancholy , yet all the songs sound like natural bedfellows on what is their most cohesive album.It also has what TEN doesn’t...a sense of groove. The rhythm section are on fire on this album.
    The artwork imbues it with an almost ‘rural ‘ desolate feel that really resonated with me in the West Cork landscape of my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ive tried.....
    I really have...…..

I just cant like the new album...…

I dunno if its that 80s synth , or the kings of leon intro, I just cant....

I actually think it is eddie singing a KoLeon album of songs ……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Totally get what you mean SheaP. Some of their albums definitely resonate with me in that way as I lived out in the sticks listening to some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I've just seen the top albums for everyone. Surprised by the love for Ten. Anyway here's mine.

1 - VS.
    2 - Yield
    3 - No Code
    4 - Avocado
    5 - Riot Act
    6 - Vitalogy
    7 - Ten
    8 - Binaural
    9 - Lightning Bolt
    10 - Backspacer

Gigaton would slot nicely into 5th in my list. Stronger than Riot Act but nothing on it comes close to Severed Hand on Avocado.

Ah come on? It's one of the best debut albums of all time, probably why most people got in to Peal Jam in the first place. EVERY song a classic. Maybe not people's favourite PJ album but nearly always top 3?
    If

1 - VS.
    2 - Yield
    3 - No Code
    4 - Avocado
    5 - Riot Act
    6 - Vitalogy
    7 - Ten
    8 - Binaural
    9 - Lightning Bolt
    10 - Backspacer

Ah come on? It's one of the best debut albums of all time, probably why most people got in to Peal Jam in the first place. EVERY song a classic. Maybe not people's favourite PJ album but nearly always top 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Roanmore wrote: »

Its their best album by a country mile .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Its their best album by a country mile .

Ehh that's a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

TEN is a classic too , no doubt. I prefer the O’Brien remix because it removes the reverb and general swampiness that can make the original a fatiguing listen at times.
    VS was a reaction to the overwrought production of TEN .
    VS is sparser, leaner and more raw. It veers from primal, aggressive violence to hushed , gentle melancholy , yet all the songs sound like natural bedfellows on what is their most cohesive album.It also has what TEN doesn’t...a sense of groove. The rhythm section are on fire on this album.
    The artwork imbues it with an almost ‘rural ‘ desolate feel that really resonated with me in the West Cork landscape of my youth.

I hear you. It sounds a bit dated to me, even though pretty much every song on it is a classic. I gave the O'Brien mix a listen to and while it sounds better, I think the original should be left be, even if it sounds dated, it's of it's time. I dunno....

Ten is their biggest album but a funny thing happens with albums that big; the hardcore fans usually prefer something else.

It's the same with Nirvana / Nevermind vs In Utero, or Oasis with What's the Story. Because those albums were so big, those fans feel like the need to prove they are "real" fans by having a different favourite.

I'm not saying that's what everyone here is doing, and personally I just prefer Vs as an album to Ten.

But at a gig PJ could strike up anyone of the eleven songs on Ten and the crowd would go nuts. The same can't be said for their other albums.

Ten is their biggest album but a funny thing happens with albums that big; the hardcore fans usually prefer something else.

It's the same with Nirvana / Nevermind vs In Utero, or Oasis with What's the Story. Because those albums were so big, those fans feel like the need to prove they are "real" fans by having a different favourite.

I'm not saying that's what everyone here is doing, and personally I just prefer Vs as an album to Ten.

But at a gig PJ could strike up anyone of the eleven songs on Ten and the crowd would go nuts. The same can't be said for their other albums.

I prefer the production on Vs, probably one of the main reasons. I can't get over the drum sound on Ten, but again, it's of its time. At the same time, I was never a big Pearl Jam fan when they did come out first. I was more into SG and Nirvana, of the Seattle bands, so don't have that thing with Ten others might have? I think I had seen the unplugged video way before I heard the full album.

It may be way I heard them. The first 2 PJ albums I got were No Code and Yield. I loved them and was then blown away by Vs. I remember getting Ten on CD and being underwhelmed after reading and hearing so much about it. Maybe if I'd heard Ten first I might feel different but as it stands, I like Ten, I don't love it.

Ten wasn't really held in the highest esteem at the time. It was seen as a bit overblown and pompous, almost hard rock at times, or "cock rock" as Kurt Cobain used to call them. Compared to the punkier elements of the grunge scene (Nirvana, Mudhoney), PJ were a completely different kettle of fish. They were massively popular however.

The Unplugged show did go a big part of the way of helping their success. One forgets how influential that show was at the time.

Vs was seen as a marked improvement even by their critics at the time, and Vitalogy was also well received. They had well shaken off the "cock rock" accusations by that point.

It was in later years that Ten became regarded as a classic.

Ten wasn't really held in the highest esteem at the time. It was seen as a bit overblown and pompous, almost hard rock at times, or "cock rock" as Kurt Cobain used to call them. Compared to the punkier elements of the grunge scene (Nirvana, Mudhoney), PJ were a completely different kettle of fish. They were massively popular however.

The Unplugged show did go a big part of the way of helping their success. One forgets how influential that show was at the time.

Vs was seen as a marked improvement even by their critics at the time, and Vitalogy was also well received. They had well shaken off the "cock rock" accusations by that point.

It was in later years that Ten became regarded as a classic.

Cobain might have called it Cock Rock but nobody else did at the time. Sure it had hard rock elements but so too did Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and there was a little bit of jealousy on his part in that comment.
    I remember going to Slane in '93, Ten & Pearl Jam were huge at that stage.

Cobain might have called it Cock Rock but nobody else did at the time. Sure it had hard rock elements but so too did Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and there was a little bit of jealousy on his part in that comment.
    I remember going to Slane in '93, Ten & Pearl Jam were huge at that stage.

SG and AIC had loads of cock rock moments around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 MosherRock426

Loving the latest PJ opus. A grower for sure but with each listen I find myself enjoying it more and more. There is a lot to digest and each track has its own thing going on. I wouldn't say it's amazing but certainly would put it on par with Vs and vitalogy but not quite Ten standards. Certainly the most cerebral effort PJ have delivered in quite some time.

Advertisement