Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

• 31-03-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've gotten back in the saddle after years of not cycling. Clocked almost 100km in the past 1.5 weeks (which staying within the 2km radius).

without CV I'd go for a 30 min or 1 hour cycle, average speed 21.8km so not sweating loads. When the world gets back to normal I'd like to think I'd build up to 2 or 2.5 hours.

Currently I wear cyclying shorts, an old tracksuit pants, dryfit tshirt & long sleeve soccer jersey (thin) or a tracksuit top & Northface windstopper jacket (light enough) & gloves if gets chilly/windy.

Does one normally just wear a base layer & jacket? (non-winter)
    So am looking for recommendations w/o breaking the bank. Links to sites for specific items would be fantastic! For a short 30 min spin mightn't need the gear as much but there's obviously benefits to having the right gear- not getting too hot/cold, comfort, body breathing better etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd suggest not going too cheap - I found that I bought a lot when I started cycling but got rid of a lot of it very quickly.

Summer clothing is much easier than winter. A decent pair of bib shorts & a decent base layer (merino wool) would be a good start.

Decathlon is due to open in Dublin soon. Their higher end stuff is great, don't be tempted to go for the cheaper things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

Galibier will have all you need, top quality at a reasonable price

https://galibier.cc/

Layers are the key for cycling, if you're away from winter a gilet or windcheater jacket that rolls up and goes in your jersey pocket is what you'll get most use from.

Buy a decent shorts and jersey, any technical tee you have will do as a baselayer for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,

Adidas have a 25% off sale- link.

Would you recommend any of their stuff for cycling or better to go with a dedicated cycling manufactur?
    ALPHASKIN SPORT LONG TIGHTS
    ALPHASKIN GRAPHIC LONG TIGHTS
    ALPHASKIN GRAPHIC LONG-SLEEVE TOP

For tights is there any benefit to bib ones or not?
    Any recmomendations, prefer not to spend €100 on a pair, like this

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would definitely go for bib tights, once you try them you will see the immediate difference in comfort.

I wouldn't go for Adidas - the tights will have no pad which you need for any sort of longer ride. The cut of the tshirt won't be right either - a cycling tshirt will have a lower back for riding in a crouched position, and will have pockets at the back (you will need these for food / spares / a phone etc.)

I would definitely go for bib tights, once you try them you will see the immediate difference in comfort.

I wouldn't go for Adidas - the tights will have no pad which you need for any sort of longer ride. The cut of the tshirt won't be right either - a cycling tshirt will have a lower back for riding in a crouched position, and will have pockets at the back (you will need these for food / spares / a phone etc.)

Thanks, I just compared Adidas tights vs proper ones and you're 100% correct.
    Deacthlon have a decent selection, will look there and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

nilhg wrote: »
    Galibier will have all you need, top quality at a reasonable price

https://galibier.cc/

Layers are the key for cycling, if you're away from winter a gilet or windcheater jacket that rolls up and goes in your jersey pocket is what you'll get most use from.

Buy a decent shorts and jersey, any technical tee you have will do as a baselayer for summer.

Find the DHB aeron range very good at a decent price but always willing to try something different so picked up a pair of Galibier bibs to try them out. Turboing it most days at the moment and find that reverting to regular shorts after using bibs is not nice.

I'm getting there...

Going to go for these bibs (unless anyone has any other recommendations-

dhb Thermal Bib Tight (€58)

Would a jersey like this be ok, if not, why not?

Main fabric
    100.00% Polyester (PES)
    Yoke (General)
    84.00% Polyester (PES), 16.00% Elasthane

Thanks again,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Jerseys fine, if you're on the thin side it wont be that fitted.

If you like the style and cut it seems good value.

You could team up with arm warmers or a long sleeved base layer for colder days or wear it under jacket with a base layer for winter riding.

Personally its a rare day in Ireland I can ride in a short sleeve jersey.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Jerseys fine, if you're on the thin side it wont be that fitted.

If you like the style and cut it seems good value.

You could team up with arm warmers or a long sleeved base layer for colder days or wear it under jacket with a base layer for winter riding.

Personally its a rare day in Ireland I can ride in a short sleeve jersey.

Thanks, am looking at a long sleeve jersey too. atm either this or this
    Again, if anyone has any other recommendations let me know.

One 'issue' with Decathlon is they have items that are sooo cheap, like this short sleeve jersey that I'd be tempted to go for it as a starter but think as it's that cheap it can't be any good.

Cheers again,
    Pa.

OP, those bibs should be fine, but they'll likely sit in a press now till November.....

With Decathlon look at the codes, the best stuff is 900/700, 500 is standard quality 300/100 is bargain basement stuff.

The difference is what your expectations are, do you want something that will be comfortable after 6/7 hours in the saddle and last for a long time or will something cheaper do?

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    OP, those bibs should be fine, but they'll likely sit in a press now till November.....

With Decathlon look at the codes, the best stuff is 900/700, 500 is standard quality 300/100 is bargain basement stuff.

The difference is what your expectations are, do you want something that will be comfortable after 6/7 hours in the saddle and last for a long time or will something cheaper do?

Thanks! The word thermal must have been the giveaway....
    For me it'd be mainly 1 to 2 hour cycles atm/when the 2km limit is lifted. Currently I wear an old tracksuit pants so just looking for something better. Doesn't need to last a long time, presuming that I keep cycling up may upgrade down the line.

For one without 'thermal' something like this? dhb Aeron FLT Roubaix Bib Tight

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do they need to be full length?
    Personally I'd get a decent set of bib shorts (for days like today) and also a set of leg warmers...
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clearance/leg-warmers?mx01=a&utm_referrer=minicarttest&utm_expid=.ckkRuxI9QieiYxXQHS8d3A.1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Personally I'd get a decent set of bib shorts (for days like today) and also a set of leg warmers...
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/clearance/leg-warmers?mx01=a&utm_referrer=minicarttest&utm_expid=.ckkRuxI9QieiYxXQHS8d3A.1

Makes a lot of sense, as the combo will work in most weather and the leg warmers fold up very small so you can take them off, put them on mid-ride if needs be. Being a cold blooded type myself, I like the thermal bibs from October-November to Feb-March.

Good idea. As you may guess from my posts I have no idea what I want really!
    Bib shorts & let warmers do seem to make good sense.

I picked up a set of leg warmers in a Halfords sale for near nothing and they were great through the winter. They'll be great for next winter if not longer.

Last question (maybe)- for leg warmers would these be too warm? dhb Merino Leg Warmers

Merino wool was recommended by someone here but not sure if that makes them warmer or just more breathable.

Also looking at these, light leg warmers.

Thanks again.

It will depend on how long you plan on being out and the conditions.
    Read the reviews but they probably are fine.

My cheapo ones kept be going fine on long rides (it was more my feet getting cold after a while!)

dinneenp wrote: »
    Last question (maybe)- for leg warmers would these be too warm? dhb Merino Leg Warmers

Merino wool was recommended by someone here but not sure if that makes them warmer or just more breathable.

Also looking at these, light leg warmers.

Thanks again.

I honestly don't think you'll need longs again till the winter, buy a good pair of shorts, some knee warmers, a good jersey, baselayer it sounds like you have already, a gilet and a pair of armwarmers, and you'll be covered for most weather you'll meet over the summer, if it's cool in the morning put them all on, remove as necessary as the day warms up, they'll all fit in your pockets or up the back of your jersey, you won't be long getting a feel for what's required.

Again, my belief is that the best combination of cost and quality is Galibier but Wiggle/DHB or Decathlon are good options either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Merino leg and arm warmers are great and will see you through almost all weather with a good pair of bib shorts.
    My first winter on the bike I couldn't afford a long sleeve Jersey or bib tights so I wore arm warmers and leg warmers and short sleeves and was fine (with thermal base layers on top cos they were cheap in aldi).
    As you go on you'll build up kit but a good short sleeve Jersey and especially good bib shorts will stand you in good stead as you can add or remove layers as you need or figure out what's comfy for you.
    Happy pedalling!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

PlanetX.com has a lot of good value stuff. You could pick up a grand pair of bib shorts for 25 sterling. Not as good quality as galibier or dhb but they'll be spot on for a few hours.
    Cyclestore.co.uk also a lot of bargains

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I've been looking a few different bib shorts. Would there be much of a difference between these?

€50 - Decathlon
    €60 - Galibier
    €65 - DHB Aeron
    €80 - Le Col (with strava code)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

I'd rule out the Le Col ones due to them having "Wiggins" stamped on the arse.

I just purchased the Galibiers myself, nice jersey to match too. Never ordered before but read good reviews here.

Jesus I'm no use to you am I? :)

Personally I'd probably go for the dhb's simply because there are lots of decent reviews of them on there.
    Galiber presumably are good also.
    Dunno about the Decathlon ones.
    Reckon the Le Col ones are not worth the extra money.
    You should also keep an eye on clearance items from CSS and chain reaction cycles - some decent bargains to be found in time.
    CSS also give 10% discounts off rrp if you join their (free) membership. They also have free delivery over €35.

LeCol stuff is really nice and you'll have it years.
    I have done dhb stuff and it's ok, it'll get you going but won't last as long.
    I haven't used the galibier or decathalon stuff.
    I'd spend the most you can afford on shorts, they're the most important part. Jersey and accessories you can trade up over time but you'll be a lot more comfortable in good shorts.
    That said there are different kinds of pad(chamois) that suit different kinds of people, so it's a bit trial and error figuring that one out unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

smacl wrote: »
    Find the DHB aeron range very good at a decent price but always willing to try something different so picked up a pair of Galibier bibs to try them out. Turboing it most days at the moment and find that reverting to regular shorts after using bibs is not nice.

I am also a big fan of dhb Aeron bib shorts, especially when they're reduced to €60 (which is fairly often). I have 3 pairs now.

For a Spring/Summer base layer I can also recommend the dhb Lightweight Mesh Sleeveless Baseplayer. I have 3 of these as well. Super comfortable, wicks away sweat and they also work well for indoor sessions.

I have Lecol socks (very good) and Lecol leg & arm warmers (really good!).

In general I find dhb great value for money, but I recommend avoiding their ''Blok'' range and ''classic'' jersey range. I found the fit on those items to be very inconsistent. I also do not like dhb socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Anyone ever tried these Carratti bib shorts for 40£.
    They've got good reviews from cycling weekly and road cc but haven't seen any customer reviews.

Are Merino items more for winter/colder weather?

dinneenp wrote: »
    Are Merino items more for winter/colder weather?

Yeah, although I wear them spring and autumn as well, they relate temperature.
    But it's not not summer gear.

I can see where this is going....
    I had spent years buying photography equiptment- lenses, bodies, tripod etc. Now I have all the gear (or most of) that I want the cycle (no pun intended) with begin with cycling gear.

Jersey, long sleeve jersey, knee warmers, bib shorts to replace my cycling shorts, arm warmers so I don't need long sleeve jersey. Then socks, new bib shorts, better jersey. Then consider changing my bike for a racer

(looking forward to it....)

• Advertisement

Yep, that's pretty much it!

Advertisement