Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown Centre - history of tenants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

miamee wrote: »
    I think it used to be CompuB or something like that? Not too sure to be honest.
    It was Compu B. They closed in March 2017.
    http://www.blanchcentrehistory.com/2012/04/compu-b/

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I see name it and the JD sports beside it are both closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I see name it and the JD sports beside it are both closed down

Heard that jd doing it up next door aswell as going up on top. They will close the other one in the red mall. And all move into the big one..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not sure it is worth mentioning here but I saw that the Patisserie Valerie in Debenhams is closed now. Just a sign up saying that this branch of Patisserie Valerie is now closed, something exciting coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭bkeane

miamee wrote: »
    Not sure it is worth mentioning here but I saw that the Patisserie Valerie in Debenhams is closed now. Just a sign up saying that this branch of Patisserie Valerie is now closed, something exciting coming soon.

Parent company ran out of money so all closing down I assume. Pity, so much nicer than Mannings.

• Advertisement

'Ran out of money' is an understatement tbf, didn't the finance chief rob loads of money from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Looks like Mr. Price is moving into the old 53 degrees north shop that's over near Lifestyle/Smyths etc according to the planning permission notice on the window.

Presumably that would mean their store in the center would close too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Wow the inside of the centre on the bottom floor is going to be like a ghost-town...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was in the centre Thursday evening for the first time since before Christmas and the upper floor between Burtons and Zara is very empty with about 4/5 vacant units. You wonder why they have all these planning permissions submitted to expand the centre, add kiosks etc if existing units can't be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

ongarboy wrote: »
    I was in the centre Thursday evening for the first time since before Christmas and the upper floor between Burtons and Zara is very empty with about 4/5 vacant units. You wonder why they have all these planning permissions submitted to expand the centre, add kiosks etc if existing units can't be filled.

I say has to with high rent., With all the vacancy. The kiosk less renting space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lot of empty units there. Unless one group is going to take them Al and create a super unit or chain?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Sounds like the landlords cutting off their noses to spite their faces then. Hiking up a rent that a tenant cannot afford, tenant vacates and unit lies empty indefinitely. One of those units has been empty for a couple of years apart from an EZ Living pop up shop in it for a short while. Unless as Murray says, the landlords may be targeting a large retailer by amalgamating the units so are proactively getting rid of the individual tenants. I'm trying to think of what large retailer does not have a presence in Blanch already (maybe H&M would relocate with a new Mens section). Massimo Dutti or Hollister are others I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If I remember correctly that block with the empty units has planning permission to add an extra floor upwards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I noticed at the weekend that Trespass are gone now - they were in the red mall opposite Mango (they were the last shop on the left before you exit the building). I'm not often down there so they could be gone a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

With the Debenhams news today be very interesting to see who takes their place. Huge amount of space there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

ciaran76 wrote: »
    With the Debenhams news today be very interesting to see who takes their place. Huge amount of space there.

Tesco be nice

Then you have all the grocery with Iceland 5 minutes away

jeffk wrote: »
    Tesco be nice

Then you have all the grocery with Iceland 5 minutes away

Tesco would be amazing, do you think Dunnes and now Aldi would allow it though? Imagine grocery on the bottom floor and everything else on the second floor like Roches Stores used to have.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Tesco would be amazing, do you think Dunnes and now Aldi would allow it though? Imagine grocery on the bottom floor and everything else on the second floor like Roches Stores used to have.

Well Dunnes let Aldi (I think Dunnes own their unit so have some power
    Plus if American owners are like the ones who football clubs, then they wont let stuff get in the way of making money

The new Tesco in Liffey Valley has a costa and I think they where taking over the old Debenhams cafe

Also pleny of room for Tesco Mobile, Vision Express, Costa Coffee, Holland & Barrett etc as in liffey valley

Be nice a nice layout, their clothes are good, cheap and fit larger people :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

jeffk wrote: »
    Well Dunnes let Aldi (I think Dunnes own their unit so have some power
    Plus if American owners are like the ones who football clubs, then they wont let stuff get in the way of making money

The new Tesco in Liffey Valley has a costa and I think they where taking over the old Debenhams cafe

Also pleny of room for Tesco Mobile, Vision Express, Costa Coffee, Holland & Barrett etc as in liffey valley

Be nice a nice layout, their clothes are good, cheap and fit larger people :cool:

Pity about Debenhams, it was always the kind of store to find a Christmas present for someone when you hadn't a clue what they wanted.

A decent Marks and Spencer similar to Liffey Valley would be nice with a proper home department. Although, if it had to be another supermarket, I agree Tesco would be nice, I generally prefer Tesco over Aldi and Dunnes. I always thought Dunnes in the Centre has some contractual hold over other supermarkets, by them being the anchor tenant, no other supermarket was permitted to have similar square footage but the introduction of Aldi flouts that story of course.

I remember Roches Stores had a supermarket on the ground floor before Debenhams took the lease over and most of the staff were taken on by Debenhams, hopefully any new tenant will allow the employees first refusal on new jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It would be great to see Marks and Spencer take over the Debenhams unit.
    Food on ground floor and clothing etc upstairs.

• Advertisement

I think yet another supermarket like Tesco would detract from the overall appeal of the shopping centre especially as Aldi is already opening soon. I'd have thought most people go to Blanch to leisure/dine/clothing/gift shop rather than wheel trolleys of groceries around the place.

Do we need 4 supermarkets in one shopping centre? I definitely think Dublin 15 needs a Tesco Extra like Maynooth but would be better located as stand alone on a green field site near the Mulhuddart M3 petrol station maybe.

M&S relocating to the Debenhams unit is a good idea as their current store is too small and cramped. They could also expand their food hall offering then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

M&S are not in the best state financially - but they could probably get more business with a slightly bigger store at least there; when life returns to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

It'll be a soup kitchen at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think you're having the conversation on the level of impact in the sector.

There may not be an M&S left to take over the former Debenhams unit after all this.

Last year they made just 37 million stg on revenues of 11 Billion. They are paying the costs of 1,500 stores and 80,000 staff around the world and they haven't sold so much as a pair of knickers in most of those stores in a month. Yes their food halls remain open but hardly at the target level of a global economy crashing through the floor like never seen before.

Thats only one example. Boots aren't shifting anything except drugs and essentials, no one needs makeup, suncream, fake tan, or a million other luxuries.

The only retailers pretty well assured to come out of this alive are the grocery multiples - and even then only the ones who run a tight ship. In the UK for instance , the likes of Waitrose may get dragged down by its John Lewis arm.

There are quite possibly stores you've known your whole life you will never walk into again.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think yet another supermarket like Tesco would detract from the overall appeal of the shopping centre especially as Aldi is already opening soon. I'd have thought most people go to Blanch to leisure/dine/clothing/gift shop rather than wheel trolleys of groceries around the place.

Do we need 4 supermarkets in one shopping centre? I definitely think Dublin 15 needs a Tesco Extra like Maynooth but would be better located as stand alone on a green field site near the Mulhuddart M3 petrol station maybe.

M&S relocating to the Debenhams unit is a good idea as their current store is too small and cramped. They could also expand their food hall offering then.

Id rather another supermarket than turn into Dundrum lite, about 20 coffee shops is not needed, but they are there

Clothes shops mostly for woman and then men the same size as woman, at least tesco clothing fits normal people

Could do with a superdrug as well, give boots a run for their money

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't think you're having the conversation on the level of impact in the sector.

There may not be an M&S left to take over the former Debenhams unit after all this.

Last year they made just 37 million stg on revenues of 11 Billion. They are paying the costs of 1,500 stores and 80,000 staff around the world and they haven't sold so much as a pair of knickers in most of those stores in a month. Yes their food halls remain open but hardly at the target level of a global economy crashing through the floor like never seen before.

Thats only one example. Boots aren't shifting anything except drugs and essentials, no one needs makeup, suncream, fake tan, or a million other luxuries.

The only retailers pretty well assured to come out of this alive are the grocery multiples - and even then only the ones who run a tight ship. In the UK for instance , the likes of Waitrose may get dragged down by its John Lewis arm.

There are quite possibly stores you've known your whole life you will never walk into again.

Actually up until last week, there was a queue to get access to Boots online section. They have been overwhelmed with online sales. Similarly with M&S, impossible to get regular sizes online at the moment, of course not essential purchases by any means. I'd say the food side of business should result in profits for M&S as all supermarkets are busy and hopefully that will keep them in business and the staff in jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And how is a boon in online sales supposed to motivate company boards and shareholders to invest in bricks and mortar, or even to maintain existing footprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And how is a boon in online sales supposed to motivate company boards and shareholders to invest in bricks and mortar, or even to maintain existing footprint?

I am not sure there can be said to be a boom in online sales. Many companies have shut their online stores and those that are operating are doing so with severe social distancing restrictions. Less people in the warehouse trying to keep up. There also seems to be a change in what people are ordering (fashion well down, necessaries way up). Lots of small items.

While there will be a recession when restrictions are lifted, I am not sure online has gained a foothold that was not there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Would be great if arnotts took over, a quality shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

While there will be a recession when restrictions are lifted, I am not sure online has gained a foothold that was not there before.
    Sorry to abbreviate your quote Shane, but you have hit the nail on the head there. A lot of people are realising they don't need to hit the centre for all their everyday needs when they can just get them online, the only thing missing will be the selfie with the stupidly overpriced coffee and a smug grin!

Advertisement