Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Battery long-life settings

Options
  • 07-04-2020 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is it bad for solar pv batteries to sit at 100% SOC for long periods? I ask because it's my understanding that this is not very good for lithium-ion batteries but it's difficult to avoid on sunny days. Perhaps the battery 'manages' this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes, sitting for longer times at 100% SOC is bad. But not like you think. A few hours during a sunny day is fine when you deplete the battery again at night. Sitting fully charged for weeks, or months on end is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EGP

unkel wrote: »
    Yes, sitting for longer times at 100% SOC is bad. But not like you think. A few hours during a sunny day is fine when you deplete the battery again at night. Sitting fully charged for weeks, or months on end is not good.

Thanks for that. If Covid ever allows us to go on holidays, I’ll bear that in mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

EGP wrote: »
    Thanks for that. If Covid ever allows us to go on holidays, I’ll bear that in mind. :)

Even if you go in holiday it will hardly matter as your battery will discharge at night, although not fully probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Your house will always have a base load, to keep fridge/freezer etc running

So even in middle of summer it should discharge during night, not a whole pile but some of it,

Maybe if going on holidays you could turn off the battery? I don’t know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

There’s Li-ion and there's Li-ion. Typical chemistries like Cobalt, NMC, NMA don’t like being at 100% charge for too long. But home storage systems are increasingly using Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 or LFP which are far more tolerant to sitting fully charged for long periods. I would be more concerned about those batteries being full discharged but the BMS ensures that never happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement