Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I really like the lemon one but that's not available at the moment.
    Pink one isn't to my taste - bit on an alcopop, imo.
    The apricot one is nice - if you really like apricot!

I'd like the Apricot one I think. Herself was a big fan of fruit beers when we were in Amsterdam and Brussels last year so the red/pink one might suit her.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd like the Apricot one I think. Herself was a big fan of fruit beers when we were in Amsterdam and Brussels last year so the red/pink one might suit her.

Thanks for the help guys.

They are all pretty sour, keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Does anybody know if the Western Herd Brewing Company beer's are on sale anywhere in Dublin? I tweeted them asking but never got a reply.

Geuze wrote: »
    White Hag - 60 euro for 24 cans 33cl

3.75 for 50cl, a bit dear???

It's the same price as buying from the supermarkets where its routinely 4 for E10.

You'd think they'd knock a bit more off.

Have to say though the Milk Chocolate Stout is one I keep an eye out for since I first had it. Seems to be harder to find(local had some lately for the first time in months so I've nabbed 12).

While the IPAs are very nice theres more competition and value to be had at the price. The stout scene is a little less stacked though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You'd think they'd knock a bit more off.
    I wouldn't. Breweries' main customers for packaged beers are off licences. Starting a price war against their own customers makes no commercial sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

BeerNut wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Breweries' main customers for packaged beers are off licences. Starting a price war against their own customers makes no commercial sense.

I wouldn't consider that a price war. Buying direct from a brewery is buying in bulk, offlicence is typicall lower volume orders so a different market really. PLus you have delivery charges from the brewery 6 - 7.5 per order & have to wait for delivery.
    If you buy a tray of 24 cans in tesco than it would be cheaper than if you buy 1 or 6. The same should apply to a craft beer without being considered a price war.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

One thing to consider when buying from the brewery directly is the freshness of the beer. I bought a box last week from The White Hag and every can was super fresh, that's a lot better than you're going to get in a supermarket with beers sitting on the shelves for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

raxy wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider that a price war. Buying direct from a brewery is buying in bulk, offlicence is typicall lower volume orders so a different market really. PLus you have delivery charges from the brewery 6 - 7.5 per order & have to wait for delivery.
    If you buy a tray of 24 cans in tesco than it would be cheaper than if you buy 1 or 6. The same should apply to a craft beer without being considered a price war.

White hag had free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Picked a load of stuff up from Redmond's today. Great selection and a load of The White Hag on 4 for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I know where you are coming from but in these times, I'm more than happy to pay pretty much the same amount as in off licence and get more dough into these fellas back pockets.

Th freshness of the beer is also worth paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's always cheaper buying direct from the brewery. Not sure why anyone would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

give them a break like they are brewers not web designers

Tips should be welcomed .

RasTa wrote: »
    It's always cheaper buying direct from the brewery. Not sure why anyone would suggest otherwise.

Some are doing mixes, but for the most part the off-licence is the only place to go for a variety instead of a slab of the same can. For a lot of people it’s worth the bit extra.

RasTa wrote: »

Correction 'it should be' but the reality is it's not. Same or similar pricing as off licenses and supermarkets on all these websites

Yeah probably another weird Irish thing being the only country in the entire world where you can't buy beer direct from the brewery ie a single can or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jaysus, some of you lot take the biscuit!

These small companies have lost a major part of their business (kegged beer) - in most cases, the majority of their businesse - yet there are people complaining that these crippled breweries are charging the same price as supermarkets.

Some bunch of miserable fecks!

Supporting them, and other industries, is worthy enough and I’ve done it myself but the buyer has to do what’s best for themselves too. Go into most breweries and look at the equipment and products they use and see how much of it is Irish or how much of it is German/Italian/Chinese/British. That’s fine too, they’re businesses, but everyone has to make the best decisions for themselves. Someone wishing a price was lower doesn’t make them miserable.

A few lads I know working in Irish ones saying they can't keep up with demand atm and will start to scale back soon and maybe take a break so stock up.

My Verdant order got cancelled this week and they are shutting down for the month as Parcelforce can't deliver their beer at this time.

Yeah looking at a lot of breweries stock online it could be the time to start stocking up in a big way now. The off licences have Sold Our beside near every beer for online ordering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

just to clarify what I said, I hadn't checked the prices being charged, I was only commenting that a brewery charging less than an off licence is not a price war, just a different business model. I looked up a couple since & they are charging less than off licence prices. Rascals for instance charge €50 per crate which is 2.08 per can. they're generally on 4 for 10 in off licences so 2.50 a can. Thats a fair price.
    THe licence limit is more a problem, having to buy 2 crates at a time is a bit much. Would be nice if they got rid of that, even reduce it to 1 crate.
    A lot of off licences have a very poor selection of Irish craft beer. Some may do well with the shut down but I think a lot are going to struggle without the pub trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

THe licence limit is more a problem, having to buy 2 crates at a time is a bit much. Would be nice if they got rid of that, even reduce it to 1 crate.

It's two crates of 24 only when the bottle/can size is 440ml/500ml. It's actually 3 when it's 330ml. Dates from Victorian age... could easily be temporarily reduced for the pandemic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whiplash appear to be using the Big Romance's pub licence for their online sales; going on my credit card statement; which solves my pondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Big Romance are also selling whiplash beer plus they are selling growlers. List of tapped beers on their website.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whiplash arrived, BBE would suggest it was canned on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Very happy with the delivery time.
    I ordered 2 packs of the Whiplash beer yesterday at about 3pm, delivered at 9:30am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

How are they getting around the age verification? A 15 yr old can get a debit card.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Shelflife wrote: »
    How are they getting around the age verification? A 15 yr old can get a debit card.

Technically the delivery driver is supposed to verify you are over 18, but that seems to have been abandonded in the current climate. I've had 2 beer deliveries in the past while and both times they just left them on the doorstep.

We've online off license sales for years now.... Is this new news to you.

There's no getting around it for these breweries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

listermint wrote: »
    We've online off license sales for years now.... Is this new news to you.

There's no getting around it for these breweries

No its not new to me, most off licence sales are through their own delivery service.

If a brewery is getting a third party to deliver then they run the serious risk of losing their license for selling to underage customers.

Its a big risk to take.

• Advertisement

No its not new to me, most off licence sales are through their own delivery service.

If a brewery is getting a third party to deliver then they run the serious risk of losing their license for selling to underage customers.

Its a big risk to take.

No they arent, and no its not a big risk they take.

There are thousands of youngsters out there taking debit card and sending beer to their home address... Is this what you are asserting.....

Online sales are years old this didnt start with craft breweries. Feels like you have not ordered stuff online before ?

Advertisement