Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GlowStick

Does anyone know if the council are going to defer mortgage payments like the banks? I've friends who have a mortgage with AIB and their payments are being deferred for 3 months. More than likely I'll be laid off by the end of the week, and was wondering if anyone knew if the council's are going to do like the banks and defer payments? Figured you guys might know, seeing as it's Paddy's Day and they'll be off so no point ringing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deedee26

GlowStick wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the council are going to defer mortgage payments like the banks? I've friends who have a mortgage with AIB and their payments are being deferred for 3 months. More than likely I'll be laid off by the end of the week, and was wondering if anyone knew if the council's are going to do like the banks and defer payments? Figured you guys might know, seeing as it's Paddy's Day and they'll be off so no point ringing them!

DCC are saying if your on reduced income give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

Len_007 wrote: »
    Thanks kbman, that is really good to know.
    RE extension, I've been told by my council (Wicklow) that a three month extension would initially be possible (I didn't clear on what grounds that would be granted though). In your experience, was your extension given the time needed for the property to be built and ready for occupation?

Hi Len,

My loan is expiring on the 4th April, I was told in January that I was too early, it's now nearly 2 weeks since I sent email requesting this and followed up on it with revenue section in Wicklow. 3 months won't be enough, we'll need 6 in our case at a minimum, that may increase given the state of corona virus, which the builders were talking about closing up on Monday when I spoke with them.

I'll try get a hold of them today to get something more positive.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

I was in DCC today for my appointment to hand in my Form 1,2,3 etc, and just thought I'd let people know what they told me in case it's useful to anyone.

They are working on an appointment only basis, and are putting a pause on new applications. They said would still progress mine based on where it is, but it'll likely be slowed down by delays with solicitors, etc which makes sense. She said some of the solicitors they are dealing with seem to have basically downed tools. She also asked me if my employment was still secure.

They are all at work, as they are responding to lots of queries from people suddenly struggling to pay their loans. She also said that they are getting grief from people who are trying to apply, so if you are calling, I'd suggest being sound to the people who are doing their best and still working through this stressful situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SarahKK1987

Hi
    Anyone any advice on this situation. We have gone sale agreed on a property. Paid holding deposit. Got valuation and surveyors report this week. Came back that the septic tank for the property is across the road in a farmer's field with no legal easement in place. Along with this it is a shared driveway between 2 houses. Would these things pose an issue to the council allowing us to buy the property (We have of course requested a legal easement to be drawn up in relation to the septic tank) I'm afraid now the council won't agree to us drawing down the money after coming so far . Any advice much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well at least you habe identified the issues.
    If the field owner is happy to just sign for the septic tank easement, that really shouldnt then be an issue re buying.
    The driveway can be tricky. Are you going to take into your ownership at least the site as granted planning permission?
    Does the serup reflect the planning?
    Who will own the drive? It could be you, the neighbour or half each with right of way to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SarahKK1987

As far as we know the driveway belongs to the house were hoping to buy but we would have to give right of way to the neighbours. No problem from our end at all. We're hoping the seller will be able to get what's needed from the field owner to allow us to service the septic tank. We have just heard the council can be sticky with these types of things and may not allow us to drawdown. Disappointing as we have come this far and kind of have our hopes set on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭raheny red

The MPI payments are suppose to go down after 12 months? We're with Fingal since Feb 2019 and we're still repaying the exact amount. Anyone else in the same position or see a drop in theirs after a year? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

raheny red wrote: »
    The MPI payments are suppose to go down after 12 months? We're with Fingal since Feb 2019 and we're still repaying the exact amount. Anyone else in the same position or see a drop in theirs after a year? Thanks.

Probably will be done in coming weeks and its always back dated to January 1st so you won't miss out. I think they are all closed down and sent home but it will happen

BKWDR wrote: »
    Probably will be done in coming weeks and its always back dated to January 1st so you won't miss out. I think they are all closed down and sent home but it will happen

Brilliant thanks. Least of the worries atm but was just wondering, nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 kotac24

Has anyone tried to contact the councils in regards to delaying/lowering the payments if you can prove temporary pay cut for example ?

kotac24 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to contact the councils in regards to delaying/lowering the payments if you can prove temporary pay cut for example ?

Dear Borrower,

Do I need to keep paying my mortgage?

Yes, you need to continue to pay your mortgage, or if you are experiencing financial difficulty due to ongoing Covid19 situation, please read below.

If you fail to pay your mortgage without an agreement in place, Fingal County Council is obliged to report this to the Central Credit Register and this may limit your ability to access credit in the future.

What if I have lost my job due to the Covid-19 emergency?

If you have temporarily lost work the mortgage support team needs proof of your social welfare claim or letter from your employer confirming such.
    If you have lost your job permanently, please complete the attached form and provide supporting documentation (letter from employer or receipt of application from the Depart of Social Protection) ~ legible screenshots are allowed.
    What will happen with my Mortgage?

Subject to evidence you have supplied that you have lost your job or have reduced hours Fingal County Council may offer you a solution to make reduced or deferred payments up to a maximum of 3 months that are proportionate to your loss of income.

You will, as a minimum, need to keep up your Mortgage Protection Insurance payments so as not to break the continuity of your cover. Fingal County Council will endeavour to find an individual solution with each borrower.

What will happen with my Mortgage after the period of reduced payment?

After the period of reduced payment, the deferred capital and interest on the time you didn’t pay is added to the remaining life time of the loan. This will mean your monthly instalment will increase. We will write to you to confirm how much it will increase by and from what date.

PLEASE NOTE: As the mortgage support team is working remotely, we are only communicating by email. Please read all of the above carefully and if you wish to apply for a reduced payment on your mortgage, complete the attached form in full and return it with all supporting documentation to loans@fingal.ie

Expect that there may be a delay in replying to each borrower, we ask that you are mindful of that and appreciate your ongoing cooperation.

Mortgage Support Team

Thanks raheny red, btw just got an email from fingal loans section that they basically paused everything for now, except for the queries regarding the issues with payments...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shellzer123

Thanks raheny red, btw just got an email from fingal loans section that they basically paused everything for now, except for the queries regarding the issues with payments...

Do you mind me asking what stage of the process you are at?

Do you mind me asking what stage of the process you are at?

final approval, sale agreed, loan pack issued maybe a month ago, and we finalised and signed contracts 2 weeks ago, basically just waiting for the funds, and to get the keys... :/

final approval, sale agreed, loan pack issued maybe a month ago, and we finalised and signed contracts 2 weeks ago, basically just waiting for the funds, and to get the keys... :/

ah no - what a tough stage of the process for this to happen at! Hopefully it won't be delayed too long for you.

I am waiting for my loan pack to issue. Spoke to them yesterday and it won't happen until they can get back into the office, so it's a waiting game for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shellzer123

beanyb wrote: »
    ah no - what a tough stage of the process for this to happen at! Hopefully it won't be delayed too long for you.

I am waiting for my loan pack to issue. Spoke to them yesterday and it won't happen until they can get back into the office, so it's a waiting game for me too.

Im the same.. went sale agreed had meeting arranged for approval of pack and then never had the meeting.. my contracts have arrived and everything in relation to the property.. it will be a waiting game for me too..

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I have tried looking this up in the thread but can't see it. I have a balance of a couple grand on a credit card, how would this affect an application?

Im the same.. went sale agreed had meeting arranged for approval of pack and then never had the meeting.. my contracts have arrived and everything in relation to the property.. it will be a waiting game for me too..

Fingers crossed we get there sooner rather than later!

Rojo wrote: »
    I have tried looking this up in the thread but can't see it. I have a balance of a couple grand on a credit card, how would this affect an application?

They'll take it into account for the amount you can borrow (and it may lower it significantly). If you can I'd recommend attempting to clear it before you make an application. They have paused applications for the moment so it may be a while before you can apply anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Thanks for that, beanyb!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 stresshead101

Myself and my partner are at this stage too.. Our cheque was to be issued on Monday just gone, but was informed on Tuesday that this probably wont be done after Easter, subject to the lockdown being loosened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Karl12byrne

Hi All

Does anyone know if the credit committee meetings are still going ahead.

We applied to SDCC in november and have been informed that we are still waiting to be sent to the credit committee to get an answer if were approved and how much or declined. Apparently this is the final stage to find out if approved and the amount

Every week we ring and some weeks with no meetings being held (even before the crisis going on) and we were 14th on the list for the last few weeks around start/middle of February.

If anyone has advice/experience dealing with SDCC as it has been a bit of a nightmare. We understand it is a long process and if it works can be really good and that it takes quite some time from start to finish we just need an answer on how much we can borrow as were are interested in a property and as soon as we know the amount we can borrow (once enough) they will/will not hold it for us

Any help Advice much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hi All

Does anyone know if the credit committee meetings are still going ahead.

We applied to SDCC in november and have been informed that we are still waiting to be sent to the credit committee to get an answer if were approved and how much or declined. Apparently this is the final stage to find out if approved and the amount

Every week we ring and some weeks with no meetings being held (even before the crisis going on) and we were 14th on the list for the last few weeks around start/middle of February.

If anyone has advice/experience dealing with SDCC as it has been a bit of a nightmare. We understand it is a long process and if it works can be really good and that it takes quite some time from start to finish we just need an answer on how much we can borrow as were are interested in a property and as soon as we know the amount we can borrow (once enough) they will/will not hold it for us

Any help Advice much appreciated

I would hazard a guess that a pause has been put on all new lending or decision making around lending. All local authorities are working from home bar essential services, which lending isn't. Theyve been tasked by government to be the central support to vulnerable groups through the crisis. I did also hear that a vast majority of the LA staff (admin etc) will be redeployed throughout the public service, hse or social protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

It took approximately 6 and a half months for my approval in principal to come through

Was that with SDCC and if you dont mind me asking was the approval what you were seeking

Was the online calculator accurate to what you were offered

I know I am waiting since November it's a nightmare and the proces only begins when you get the approval in principle but waiting for that

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

Yes that was with SDCC

Yes that was for approval.

And yes the calculator was accurate.

It is a very slow process and any phone calls I made did not seem to speed up the process. Again all I was told for weeks was that it was awaiting to go to the credit committee.

Even after it goes to the credit committee it can take two weeks for the manager to sign off on it.

I was getting very frustrated towards the end as the day before it was due to go to the credit committee a previous issue (which was already dealt with by a different member of SDCC staff) was highlighted. I got a bit frustrated here as I told the girl on the phone that they had asked for the clarification months before and I submitted it and everything was fine. But she still wanted something extra which meant a little bit more work.

Nevertheless I git the approval,
    Went Sale Agreed,
    Now Corona Virus. Yeahhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rqc1i3ovl5uxt6

Hi All,

I'm just posting an update, I submitted my Rebuilding Ireland Homeloan Application on the 14th February as a single applicant - requesting the maximum amount available of €288,000 (90% of €320,000) for County Galway.

After 7 weeks, I received 'Approval in Principle' on 2nd April (was in junk mail, so didn't see it until a few days later) for an amount of €193,600 over 30 years on a fixed rate of 2.995% - need to enter into a Mortgage Protection Policy to take it further.

With COVID-19, i'm sure this offer won't change...? I have not contacted my local authority just yet, but does anyone know how long such a loan offer is valid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

Leinad,

This should be all in the documentation you receive from the County Council
    With one CC I got a letter indicating for me to give them an address and documents with house address on it within a month.
    This was after we'd paid booking deposit and wanted to sign the contracts.
    The loan offer was valid for 6 months.

Good luck with the next steps, hard to say what they'll do with covid-19 impacts.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the info

I know it's a complete nightmare I I literally don't seem to be moving anywhere and now with the covid it will probably be a while more

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I have moved anywhere or if there even was a meeting held. O haven't called them in two weeks now so hopefully some good news

Delighted to hear you got your approval and sale agreed,

Hopefully it goes all through for you soon

Advertisement