Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zannusi tumble drier belt snapped

Options
  • 05-04-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice really....

We have a zannusi drier condenser and its 14 years old and it's been worked like a bitch all this time.... 3 kids and 2 dogs.... ( no we didnt wash dogs in it .... their beds ;) ) I just saw belt has snapped and I have no problem fixing ....

My question is .... is it worth fixing or would we be better just buying a new one ....

How long have you had your drier or washing machine.... competition time... ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You could potentially do it yourself, part about €25. I wouldn't think it possible for someone to come out and fix it for less than €100 including part so from that point of view it's not worth fixing if you have to stick €100 in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You could potentially do it yourself, part about €25. I wouldn't think it possible for someone to come out and fix it for less than €100 including part so from that point of view it's not worth fixing if you have to stick €100 in to it.

Yea, not the biggest job, but a bit of knuckle peeling fun all the same, more awkward than technically challenging.
    Espares is a good source for these type of bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s 14 years old. Get a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gael23 wrote: »

Why?

New belt is 25 quid. Take the back off, give it a good clean then stick on the new belt and potentially you're looking at another few years of service.

My washing machine stopped before Christmas. Ordinarily we would have bought a new one, but with a bit of internet searching I traced the problem to bushes. It was a fecker of a job but I got the motor out and replaced the brushes. It's now going as good as ever it was.

Total cost = €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭tphase

Gael23 wrote: »
    why?
    for the sake of a €25 belt, it's worth at least attempting a fix. Unlikely you'll get something newer to last as long unless you spend reasonable money.
    Wear a pair of fitters gloves - dishwashers, washing machines and dryers are all sharp edges designed to strip the skin off your knuckles.

in 30 years I've had 2 washing machines (replaced brushes), 2 dryers and 1 dishwasher (replaced pump).

If you're in Galway, George Conboy is the man to talk to. He sells new stuff but equally dispenses advice and spare parts (new and second hand)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Thanks a lot for advice

I actually fixed our oven a few times... element twice and thermostat once,,,

a few months ago I fixed dishwasher , mrs wanted to get a new one but I got up early next morning and thought I had nothing to lose and guess what I found .... one of her gold thin bracelet tangled up which was stopping release of water ...

So yeh I watched videos and its defo doable just wanted someone elses opinion

We had our house 2006 new build and I've found things have lasted well ...... we have only replaced a fridge and a washing machine so far .... the only reason we replaced fridge was it needed a new circuit board and it was going to take nearly a month .....looking back I wish I had waited ... loved that fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Go for it.

I did the belt on our Zanussi not so long ago. A vented drier but I guess can't be too different.

Belt was about 20 quid. It was handy enough job in fairness.

Ours is around 14 years old aswell, sure we will hopefully get a few more years out of it for the sake of €20 and a couple of hours work.

Cushtie wrote: »
    Go for it.

I did the belt on our Zanussi not so long ago. A vented drier but I guess can't be too different.

Belt was about 20 quid. It was handy enough job in fairness.

Ours is around 14 years old aswell, sure we will hopefully get a few more years out of it for the sake of €20 and a couple of hours work.

Thanks lad

Where did you get belt .... I've used e spares I think for oven parts before but would be handy to know other places....

The one thing I would say to anyone else reading this that's tempted to fix white goods they do seem very basic inside .... I take loads of pictures with phone , especially wiring ... but its defo worth trying , just make sure you disconnect from mains .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

MasterCare in Killester can be good if you need something that's in stock there and then...
    http://www.mastercare.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I've an old Whirlpool drier here. Bought it just after buying the house, 17 years ago!

Belt went in it 7/8 years ago. Fixed it myself & it's still going strong.

I'd always have a go at fixing appliances like this.

My biggest dread would be to scrap a machine over something simple like a loose wire, blocked pipe, etc...

• Advertisement

Just an update....

I got a chance to repair my drier today..

Got belt from Expertise for €14.99 delivered and I found a YouTube video which was pretty much my machine ..

There was more to repair than I thought but was straight forward enough .

I did cock up the way the belt went around pulley and it was a bit slack but fixed it ok even if it was la bit tricky.

Works perfect anyway . Hope to get a few more years out of my 14 year old drier.

Advertisement