Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on Exchange Traded Notes

Options
  • 03-04-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I am having trouble finding any information on the tax situation regarding Europe based ETNs. Is the tax situation treated the same as UCITS ETFs or is it the same as shares?

If it matters I am looking at Bitcoin Tracker One on OMX.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I believe I found the answer for anyone interested. They appear to follow the same rules as regular shares.
    ETFs are distinct from other types of exchange-traded product such as ETCs, which should be considered separately from ETFs, and on a case by case basis. ETCs are, typically, securities that track the prices of physical commodities such as gold, silver and platinum, and also track commodity indices based on commodity futures prices. However, Revenue will accept that ETC investments are generally structured as debt instruments and accordingly, such an ETC investment will not come within the tax regime foroffshore funds, but will instead come within general taxation principles, with any income payments being liable to income tax at the standard or higher rate as appropriate, and gains on disposals being liable to capital gains tax. This tax treatment may be applied to ETC investments made on or after 1 January 2014.

Advertisement