Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's a few sibins knocking about no doubt.

We'll have the mass rocks next, and a good aul rave is probably being organised in some remote woodland in East Clare like in the old days l remember those.

Because when this blows over we'll need affordable entertainment and night clubs etc will be start to get popular with the young people.

Field days and smaller community gatherings should be fun.

We're going the full circle here, the simple life of good old Ireland is coming back..

It'll be a nice learning curve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

" ..The Ireland that we dreamed of would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit- a land whose countryside would be bright with cozy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens, ...

Eamon De Valera 1943

Ye'd be happy with it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

coinop wrote: »
    Do you reckon other countries are bemoaning the pubs being closed? We need to uncouple Irish culture with drinking. Don't play up to a stereotype. We are so much better than that.

Btw, Guinness is about as Irish as Beefeater gin. Arthur Guinness was a hardcore Unionist of British blood. Guinness is still referred to as Protestant Porter by many.

Yes, why wouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Wonder if people are also missing shoving cocaine up their snouts.
    Part and parcel

I am anyway, I used to love the craic.....do you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Can't wait to go for a pint when they reopen, especially now that it is staying bright until a bit later and the weather is improving a bit. You can't beat going down for that first pint while it's still bright out.

• Advertisement

As the week has passed I’m definitely getting a growing hankering for a pint of Guinness. Looking forward to that first mouthful whenever it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Miss it big time.. As it's my place of work but also miss my pints on the day off I have...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

They will be jammers once open again.

I would give it a week or so once reopened to let others clear out the drink that's been lying there for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Wouldn't be a big drinker anymore, but missing my couple of Guinness on a Sunday evening in the local. Go and do the club lotto, and a bit of banter dissecting / ridiculing :) Club GAA match from earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I also hope the local pubs give their place a full and thorough clean down as god knows what virus is still lingering around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don't miss "the pub" at all.

Guinness? Jaysus, vile swill.

Watching the LLS in a pub? Hard to say if that's worse than watching it at home.

I do however just want things to get back to normal. Being able to meet up with people, go travelling, football back on, and be able to go running wherever I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Used to go on my own to the local am early day in the week when it was very quiet like a Tuesday evening. Just enjoyed getting out and relaxing on my own for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Never thought I'd say it but Guinness from a can is actually decent enough if poured right, not exactly the same obviously but not awful either.

Still miss a quiet pub though.

I drink it,but its shyte. Cant wait for them to reopen 10/15 locals in on a Saturday or Sunday night....bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I drink it,but its shyte. Cant wait for them to reopen 10/15 locals in on a Saturday or Sunday night....bliss
    A lot of the real Guinness drinkers has this attitude that the can stuff is ****e like kind of no surrender kind of job, Its a mental thing like you can't dring good Guinness at home personally as a lad that probabley has drank a good sizesd swimming pool of the stuff it's not bad like a old lad said one time there is no such thing as a bad pint of Guinness its either good or very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

nthclare wrote: »

Because when this blows over we'll need affordable entertainment and night clubs etc will be start to get popular with the young people.

The days of the night clubs are just about over.
    Outdated puritanical licensing laws and late bars were killing them off. Not that they were much good anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

The Bookmakers being closed is an absolutely huge relief for a lot of people. They will have so much more money to spend on normal & essential things. It will be a real shame when they open back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't miss the pubs at all. It's rare enough I go out for a pint anyway (all my mates are long settled and living all over the place so getting people together is hard enough).

I like a pint sure, but I think it's no harm if we reduce our reliance on the pub as the primary social outlet anyway.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Don't miss the pubs at all. It's rare enough I go out for a pint anyway (all my mates are long settled and living all over the place so getting people together is hard enough).

I like a pint sure, but I think it's no harm if we reduce our reliance on the pub as the primary social outlet anyway.

And do what? Zoom?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im already compiling my list of pubs for when this all ends. Ill probably even take the day off work just for it. 3 day bender as soon as this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

It's none of your business what other people do or do not.

• Advertisement

risteard7 wrote: »
    The Bookmakers being closed is an absolutely huge relief for a lot of people. They will have so much more money to spend on normal & essential things. It will be a real shame when they open back up.

Online gambling still available and I guarantee you they are raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I miss the pub a lot. But to be more precise I miss meeting my mates there. We usually meet every second Saturday and enjoy a few in each other’s company. As I live alone I guess I feel it a bit harder. I can’t wait for things to return to normal. Just gotta keep positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Birneybau wrote: »

A lot of pensioners & Dole people wouldn't have online accounts though. Sorry I just hate gambling now, speaking from experience

risteard7 wrote: »
    A lot of pensioners & Dole people wouldn't have online accounts though. Sorry I just hate gambling now, speaking from experience

Oh, I despise the entire industry.

If someone wants a pint then let them have a pint, if someone wants a bet then let them have a bet. Anyone that doesn’t? Then don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

py2006 wrote: »
    They will be jammers once open again.

I would give it a week or so once reopened to let others clear out the drink that's been lying there for a few months.

All kegs will be returned to brewery and lines cleaned.

No doubt every bit of equipment in the breweries will be cleaned too,

So every pint, in every keg, in every pub, will be the highest standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

easypazz wrote: »
    All kegs will be returned to brewery and lines cleaned.

No doubt every bit of equipment in the breweries will be cleaned too,

So every pint, in every keg, in every pub, will be the highest standard.

Except for Budweiser of course

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Really missing meeting the lads after playing a hurling match on a Sunday evening to chat about how badly we were beaten. That and myself and herself would always go to the local after work on Friday and chat to some of the old timers, we're fortunate to have moved to Dublin but landed right beside a real country style pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Birneybau wrote: »

Taking bets on what, the Belarus greyhound Derby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The key is to have pour one can and put the next one in the freezer. the next one will be perfect

I read this post with a lot of scepticism,by said fuk it I'll give it a lash. Bowlardo,if we ever meet I owe you a pint,or a can :pac:. The difference in Guinness from a fridge and a freezer is immense.
    Thanks for the tip.#everydaysaschoolday. :D

Advertisement