Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AMKC wrote: »
    Don't miss them at all. How about when this is all over turning all the pubs that have a viable chance of surviving into gyms and restaurants.

Why would we do that to the viable ones, of any business type, when unfortunately there will be plenty not reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coinop wrote: »
    Do you reckon other countries are bemoaning the pubs being closed? We need to uncouple Irish culture with drinking. Don't play up to a stereotype. We are so much better than that.

Btw, Guinness is about as Irish as Beefeater gin. Arthur Guinness was a hardcore Unionist of British blood. Guinness is still referred to as Protestant Porter by many.

Most countries don't have pubs which is why the "Irish " pub was such a big export success. A lot of countries consume large quantities of alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

AMKC wrote: »
    Don't miss them at all. How about when this is all over turning all the pubs that have a viable chance of surviving into gyms and restaurants.
    Are you drunk now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,751 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's a pub?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

definitely miss the nights out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Surprisingly don't miss them at all, don't miss kids football and all the activities that we were at with them. TBH enjoying the quite time and doing some gardening and enjoying out and about with the kids on our small farm it's weird I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I do miss it yeah. I miss the conviviality, the pints after work with friends, friends that I can't see now. Of course there's WhatsApp and all that but not the same.

I'm not knocking anyone specific but by jaysus there's some pioneer types in this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Do you reckon other countries are bemoaning the pubs being closed? We need to uncouple Irish culture with drinking. Don't play up to a stereotype. We are so much better than that.

Btw, Guinness is about as Irish as Beefeater gin. Arthur Guinness was a hardcore Unionist of British blood. Guinness is still referred to as Protestant Porter by many.
    What a load of patronising, puritanical, ****.

Pubs are great. Hope my local is still there after all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Birneybau wrote: »
    I do miss it yeah. I miss the conviviality, the pints after work with friends, friends that I can't see now. Of course there's WhatsApp and all that but not the same.

I'm not knocking anyone specific but by jaysus there's some pioneer types in this thread.

I really missed this yesterday. There's usually a good buzz in work on a Friday afternoon. Not so much now. It's just finish up and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Miss days like today. Being able to go into town, have a cup of coffee and read the news, browse the shops for some new clobber and spend a few hours in the pub over the afternoon watching the sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I miss the pub. But I'm not really missing alcohol. Haven't even bothered to buy some cans/bottles.

I guess it just a habit to met friends in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm desperately missing beers in my local bars.
    The quiet beers and chats. The coming and going of people. The "pub friends", the staff.

But....
    Yesterday at 6, my most local local dropped a container with about a litre of beer on my doorstep.
    They are emptying the legs and pour a beer at around 6 and are sharing with me!

It was so kind but it also made me a little sad wishing I was at the bar having a chat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Nothing like a few pints and a chat on a Sunday, one of the bars I go to doesn't even have a tele in it, it's great, no distractions.

Nothing like a few pints and a chat on a Sunday, one of the bars I go to doesn't even have a tele in it, it's great, no distractions.

Does it make a point of telling people it doesn’t have a telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Ah here lads, come on I`m sure we all miss the pubs

I`d be a weekender in the pubs mainly tho. I was never a house drinker and used to look forward to heading the pub for a couple but now me and the missus seem to be drinking every night in the house. Feels like a slippery slope drinking at home and I want to get off it and get back to the pub a couple of times a week

No, it's just the main bar that doesn't have a telly, but there's loads of telies about the place if you wanna watch a match or whatever.

My favourite local has no TV, hence no sign of the experts harping on about inglorious Goodwood. Nearly every pub in town can cater to that crowd, and I have no shortage of options if sport is on my radar. At least before Covid-19 entered the fray.

Mine has a blimp visible from the outer reaches of the solar system, with "No telly lads, rev up and f*ck off elsewhere" emblazoned across it.

My favourite local has no TV, hence no sign of the experts harping on about inglorious Goodwood. Nearly every pub in town can cater to that crowd, and I have no shortage of options if sport is on my radar. At least before Covid-19 entered the fray.

Ah ye it's grand sitting in a bar having a chat without some tele blaring in the background.

In fairness though my other local (my first love) just across the street is just a bar and it has 4 teles, a dart board and a pool table.

It's an anything goes sort of spot, wouldn't have looked out of place in the wild west, the total opposite of the other bar I drink in. Generally speaking someone who drinks in one never goes to the other, but I've managed to bridge the gap, we're trying to sort out a peace process :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Ah here lads, come on I`m sure we all miss the pubs

Not really, I'm surprised with the fact that I don't miss them that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s funny you should mention Sunday every day really is like it right now. Only without the football, the carvery and the mass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I love the pub. A rattle of pints, few bets on the horses, a feed of turkey and ham from the carvery.

Going to drink the neck off myself when they do reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I miss the few pints before work. You need a good straightener before turning on the engine in one of those 747s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Guinness is still referred to as Protestant Porter by many.

Where do you live? The early 19th Century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I dont miss going out but I will end up missing the social catch-up pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I threw together a charcuterie and cheeseboard platter last night along with a glass of organic unoaked chardonnay.
    Wasnt as good as what I'd get in the local sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Edgware wrote: »
    I miss the few pints before work. You need a good straightener before turning on the engine in one of those 747s
    Well let me tell you something buddy.
    You must had a few too many during the week because you rightly flucked up on your trip to China. You picked up the wrong fecking PPE gear. The stuff you brought home was for the pygmy tribes in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I tend to only visit the pub every 5 or 6 weeks. So, I'm not missing it hugely just yet.

I miss the freedom of having the option to go the pub, cinema, gig or restaurant though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Wonder if people are also missing shoving cocaine up their snouts.
    Part and parcel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Wonder if people are also missing shoving cocaine up their snouts.
    Part and parcel

G'wan outta that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not much. But I’m not much of a pub person. Was due to play pool with someone from work right as the lockdown kicked in. I do miss the fun of random nights out and blowing off the stress of work but I’m not chomping at the bit like some.
    My wife and I were just saying we'll appreciate it all more when this is all over and will try to scedule more frequent pub/cinema/threatre/music and restaurant trips over a given month instead of defaulting to lazy.

Sure you will, ande, sure you will.

Advertisement