Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Both cars have full tanks, how long will the fuel stay useable?

Options
  • 03-04-2020 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

With the current crisis the cars haven't being used in over three weeks and possibly for a lot longer and then probably only for short trips. I seen all sorts of answers on line but can anybody here give their thoughts on this.
    Use a fuel stabiliser? If so were do I get it or am I worrying over nothing.
    One is petrol the other is diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,265 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Worry more about the battery dying, fuel will be still fine after a year sitting in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You are worrying over nothing. As Atlantic Dawn has said, you should be more concerned about your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

How to keep the battery charged?

Leave engine idling in drive for an hour once a week?
    Bit of a detour to the shops once a week?
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It would be worse if it was cold, cold kills batteries.
    Depending on the make/model, either run the car once every two weeks - twenty mins should do it - or invest in a trickle charger.

An example would be this mains powered one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTOPOWER-MP00207A-Automatic-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B01DYE5H9C
    Or this solar powered one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SPP01-Solar-Power-Panel/dp/B000ROB1NY/ref=sr_1_10?crid=41CY95KLBXJT

I mentioned makes and models being different, I had an Alfa 156 which ate its own battery charge in two weeks. But others are less difficult to keep alive, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just always be careful about leaving a car idling. If an engine isint revved up, you run the risk of building up moisture within the engine and seals etc, that dont get removed during load of acceleration etc. I have cars that may not get driven for 6 months at times. I let them idle and just bring the revs up slightly every 2 or 3 minutes. Then when the engine is warm, Ill rev the car up higher. Will see lots of white smoke and then will begin to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave car parked in first gear and release the handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If your battery is healthy and the fuel relatively fresh a couple of months sitting up won't bother the car. I'd be more worried about mold inside. Just leave the doors open every couple of weeks. This could go on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Petrol and diesel should be good for at least 6 months.

And before anyone says it regarding petrol: A modern car engine has much tighter tolerances on fuel quality than a single cylinder crappy plastic carb lawnmower :)

As others said, the more urgent concerns would be the battery, and if the cars are parked outside: making sure the brakes don't seize, keeping the interior dry, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

I have a seat ateca with electric parking brake that turns on automatically.

Generally can electric parking brakes be manually turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i wouldn't worry unduly about the battery...if it dies,it's relatively cheap and DIY to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Orobhsa wrote: »

Chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off.

They're asking about an automatic parking brake. I suspect it will engage automatically when the ignition is turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I drive a 16 diesel galaxy and it struggled to start after two weeks of not being started.

I can see battery issues being a pain in the next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say depending on where it is parked, humidity etc. about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Consult your manual, there should be a button/pedal sequence to take the brake off while parked.

There will also be a mechanical release but this is only for an emergency if the electrics are dead or there is a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭User1998

I assume it has auto hold? Ignition on, turn off auto hold, release parking break, ignition off. The parking break will not turn back on.

But honestly why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forget to move the car once in a while to avoid flat spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Flat spots? We're only talking a few months at most, no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just take it for a brief spin every few days? I'm not doing my usual 1000km a week but have been to the shops a few times over the last fortnight for supplies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You can disable the electronic parking brake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Harry Metcalfe just released a video on leaving up cars. Unfortunately no advice on electronic handbrakes but otherwise very informative.

Advertisement