Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely livid with my landlord

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

The OP is obviously too proud to take handouts from the state but not too proud to take handouts from his landlord.

That’s strange logic OP.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What mortgage holiday? I didn't get one. Surely you're not suggesting your landlord contact social welfare?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think it didnt sound that unreasonable OP. Think about him too he may be in a tight spot for money also and may have lost his job and is looking after elderly with no income either, who knows, youre not the only one in a hard place right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why can't you contact the social welfare? How does being worried about family stop you from doing that? Seems he was giving you pretty sound advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why not pay your rent out of the thousands your parents gifted you?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112308553

That's why the OP won't go to the social, they won't get jack based on this post.

And if I am reading it correctly, is the OPs post trying to find a way to get around paying inheritance tax?

Why don't you pay online OP?

Let the LL come to your house, when he arrives, put the money in an envelope and leave it on the front step for him to collect.

It's not rocket science. You are just using the pandemic to better you financial situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Have you contacted your electricity and gas supplier, your Sky or cable company, any bank or car loans, don't forget to contact them as well and tell them you won't have any money for them either.
    Bet you haven't.
    Go for the rich Landlord first because the are richest people in country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That is some roasting. I've not seen a roasting like this in a while.

Biggest roasting I’ve seen since the epic Alison oriordain thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

considering the OP was only on here two months ago looking for advice about how to treat tax wise a cash inheritance from their parents to me if smacks of looking to take advatage of the landlord in a time of crisis ... but for some reason I think the post is a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

After reading this thread and the inheritance thread I feel sorry for the OPs parents.

The fact he blamed his parents for using up his inheritance threshold by giving him €50000. Talk about ungrateful and immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

Typical chancer, will bitch & moan about everything and will have answers for everything & solutions for nothing.
    Absolute dose of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

aido79 wrote: »
    OP you have made no mention of whether your income has changed? If it hasn't why should you get a break from paying rent? Sounds like you're just changing your arm.

Oh, that could be sore, changing an arm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭baldbear

Revolut , PayPal a bank transfer. Come on op. It's 2020. You aren't even stuck for money? I feel sorry for your landlord. There's plenty of support available if you are a genuine case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

When this is over I’d imagine your LL might look for a new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭This is it

This didn't go as expected for the OP. Can't imagine they'll be replying after reading the responses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

"Not from Cavan but probably should be"

You with a few K in the bank saying that,

Laughable tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, are you trolling?

Pay your rent or get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Very obvious troll there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wasn't sure. Looking at people's opinions on Facebook, there's a very sizeable portion of people who feel they should be entitled to not pay rent during the crisis regardless of their personal financial status and any landlords looking for rent are being "greedy". Funnily enough, everyone I've seen with that opinion is also a SF voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

Seems to be a lot of people out there who think they can use the current situation to dodge their financial responsibilities.
    Have you actually fallen on financial hardship due to the current restrictions OP or are you just chancing your arm.
    It's hardly fair to refuse to contact social welfare for help but expect help from your landlord instead.
    To think you can just contact the landlord and say "you won't be getting your rent" is brass neck to put it mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Stark wrote: »
    I wasn't sure. Looking at people's opinions on Facebook, there's a very sizeable portion of people who feel they should be entitled to not pay rent during the crisis regardless of their personal financial status and any landlords looking for rent are being "greedy". Funnily enough, everyone I've seen with that opinion is also a SF voter.

Ah would you stop with your political crap.

Scroungers vote for FF and FG too, and there are scroungers that don't vote at all. Nothing to do with a political party at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

You also posted in the past about taking private tours around L.A. in a car direct from the airport. So you have a few bob somewhere! Either you’re terrible at managing your money (not the LL’s fault) or you’re trying to scam the LL knowing you can’t be evicted during the time. In either case, shame on you. Pay your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah would you stop with your political crap.

Scroungers vote for FF and FG too, and there are scroungers that don't vote at all. Nothing to do with a political party at all...

Yes but take a look at anywhere where you see Ogra Sinn Fein and the like hang out and you'll see it being heavily pushed as a position with anyone who disagrees being piled onto after effectively kicking the hornets nest. "Bootlicker". "On the side of greedy capitalists". blah blah.

At least the FF/FG scroungers have to keep their opinions on the issue somewhat private and there isn't a FF/FG echo chamber encouraging everyone not to pay their rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Seoda1 wrote: »
    A rant more than anything but I’m absolutely livid.

Yesterday I emailed my landlord of three years, always paid rent on time, good tenant blah blah blah

I said, I have your rent here which is payable next Monday but because of restrictions, I can’t get to the bank.

And re Mays rent, if these restrictions stay in place for the month of April, which I think it will, then I’m not going to have money for you.

I wanted to be fair to him and give him plenty of notice. I suggested a rent break and asked for his blessing during this pandemic and stressful times.

Now, this guy is tight, if he’s not from Cavan, he should be.

He swiftly emailed be back, no “I hope you are ok” in these times. He said if it’s ok he would call around today to collect rent and suggested that I contact the social welfare office for rent support.

This is where I am livid. We are in a crisis right now, there’s a pandemic going on. I am worried about my elderly parents and parents in law, aunts, uncles and my own family, keeping safe and encouraging my son who is in sixth year to keep studying for his leaving cert whenever that will be, if it’s to be. I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

I didn’t reply to his email, if he came to my door, I would have told him to go away and come back next week as it is not due then ... I’m fuming.

What was I expecting? I thought he might say .., pay what you can in May and we’ll catch up later on in the year ... or I’ve got a mortgage holiday so just pay me the interest or be a human being.

Genuinely, his email to me has stressed me out more than the whole of the last few weeks put together.

God I needed to rant

How would you reply to him?

If this is an april fools you're late by a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

This post made my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Who goes to a branch to pay rent in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is it wrote: »
    This didn't go as expected for the OP. Can't imagine they'll be replying after reading the responses :)

It's a fake/troll thread, has to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

I'm sorry, but it is 2020. Not being able to get to a bank is a piss poor excuse. Can you not ask him for an IBAN and transfer the money to him?

And you say you will not contact the social welfare office? There are supports ther eif you need them. If not why not?

You are obliged to pay the rent as per the lease. Just because of the covid doesn't mean you are of the hook or that the landlord owes you any sort of concession. It would be entirely at their discretion whether they choose to make a concession or deferral deal of some sort. It is not for you to demand from them

Why bring your parents or extended family into it? Your landlord has nothing to do with them and doesn't know them from a crow.

It is not ideal that the landlord is planning to come to the house to collect but it could be worked out OK. He says he will drop by at 5pm. You say, OK ring me when you outside in your car. He arrives and rings. You put the rent in an envelope and leave it on the pier or in the driveway and you go back inside. He gets out, picks it up and returns to his car and pisses off.

It can be done. You are just making excuses. I think you should grow up and pony the f* up.
    I dont have an envelope etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

You can lodge to another account at an ATM machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Wtf ? wrote: »
    I dont have an envelope etc etc....

I’d say there’s no solution the OP couldn’t find a problem to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

I'm a Sinn Fein voter.

OP, Pay your rent.
    Swallow your pride and Go and get yourself onto rent supplement.
    The house is your LLs income.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement