Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch arses

• 31-03-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭

Sadly one of the nicest parts of a watch is often hidden when wearing I.e. the case back or movement shot.

Let’s seem some pictures of watch arses.

F46-B977-F-3367-43-DE-A3-E6-5-F4856654-F32.jpganonymous image hosting

Rolex owners need not apply!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I bet that caseback was more expensive to machine than this whole watch:D

507759.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Agreed. I like taking this one off at night, just as much as putting it on in the mornings.

IMG-20200211-140813-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Don't mind the informal attire

507793.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

funkyouup wrote: »
    I bet that caseback was more expensive to machine than this whole watch:D

I see you have impeccable taste :D (nice low number too ha).

Since see through arses are allowed here's the one of the Beijing Beihai...

40045996772_06d3dc7277.jpg

And well I have to say that hopefully people will like the rear end of the Sólás too:

DOS_6323.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Have to say I love the back of some watches. Pity only the wearer ever sees them.

507796.jpeg

507797.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've nothing really with an interesting caseback. This would be about it.

507798.jpg

Caseback of a 1941 Doxa "DH" issued by the German military. DH stands for "Dienstuhr Heer", OfficialWatch Army. There were also D which is air force and DU which is government admin.

The Doxa were among the few that were stainless steel and what a steel it is. The inner caseback is full of watchmaker's marks so worn down the years, but it still after 80 years retains pretty much all of its brushing. The winding crown is like new too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

This early 70's Longines Olympian is a bit unusual with a see through case back. It is a movement originally designed by Record who were taken over by Longines who continued to use the movements, this one is re-badged as a Longines cal 508. I think it came from Canada. Perhaps the clear case back is a bit of diy by a previous owner.

507801.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yet again a thread title that promised so much and delivered so little.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20200401-082513.jpg

IMG-20200331-231806.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your train back from Ball reminded me T, though mine's not a wristwatch.

507814.jpg

longines issued to the Serbian railways in the 20's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Swatch 'Irony' from the late '90s, shown with patented battery change tool.

507819.JPG

Here are some Russia beauties - scuba dude and kudos for the people who recognise the other guy.

507843.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Back of the speedy!!

507847.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

A1-AC5-E53-1-BB4-4-A2-A-B702-6-D0-FA4-BD8-FD5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Swatch 'Irony' from the late '90s, shown with patented battery change tool.

Snap!
    rKWC26HB

IMG-20200401-121253-01.jpg

Dirty-arsed Vostok 'Amphibia'

507849.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Ionised

GS2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Thirdfox wrote: »
    the other guy.

Yuri?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

507853.jpg

dakar wrote: »
    Yuri?

Ding ding ding! Though that could be a stab at any Yuri ha.

Interesting tidbit that not everyone knows (after all our love for the "moonwatch") is that the Amphibia is a spacewatch too :)

From wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfibia
    In 1975 a Soviet cosmonaut Georgy Grechko wore the Amphibia watch during the Soyuz 17 mission to the Salyut 4 space station which led to the even higher popularity of Amphibia watches among people all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Ding ding ding! Though that could be a stab at any Yuri ha.

Interesting tidbit that not everyone knows (after all our love for the "moonwatch") is that the Amphibia is a spacewatch too :)

From wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfibia
    In 1975 a Soviet cosmonaut Georgy Grechko wore the Amphibia watch during the Soyuz 17 mission to the Salyut 4 space station which led to the even higher popularity of Amphibia watches among people all over the world.

Indeed, the Sturmanskie 3133 is also a proper, space qualified watch.

As worn by cosmonauts and various other nations ferried there by the Roscosmos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

U7N8GS.jpg

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Indeed, the Sturmanskie 3133 is also a proper, space qualified watch.

As worn by cosmonauts and various other nations ferried there by the Roscosmos.

Yup - and though the 3133 is getting pretty hard to find for a good price nowadays the Vostok Amphibia (with the original space version movement unlike the Omega cal 321 vs 861 :p) is still widely available and cheap as chips.

It's the first watch I recommend to beginning watch enthusiasts - a real eye opener to see what else is out there beyond purely Swiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Always loved the B1 caseback
    pHdFgUvl.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

and the Current Sinn 104

iUY42xml.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Not as interesting as some posted,

0XHvqsx.jpg

The Horseshoe Caseback,introduced in 1967.
    STAINLESS STEEL - Case Material
    4006 - Movement number,4006A movement, 4005 was a rare date only model.
    6020 - Case number, last digit 0 I believe refers to the region, 0 Japan 1 North America.
    WATERPROOF - Very nice thing to have,only learned about it after from John Bentley, changed to Resistant around June 1970 due to new regulations regarding water resistance, mine from January last couple of months.
    Symbol - Suwa Seikosha,the division Within Seiko,the other Daini Seikosha

l2fxDsg.jpg

010751 - Serial nunber, 0-Year 1970,1-Month January, 0751-production number.
    JAPAN A - Country manufactured, A- debatable as to its meaning, the factory ,region or supplier.

Before this was the holy grail of Bell-Matics 4006-7000 The Dolphin,only seen during the first year 1966 for a few months

B8wU9Cl.jpg

Last one came up on Ebay last July,$760 [Link]
    Other Seiko's have some other really nice casebacks including a Sea horse,Sea lion

NKPgxcK.jpg

s0d6k9f.jpg

Continuing the sea creature theme....the Casio 'Duro' or Marlin. Nothing very fancy with this budget quartz diver.

507932.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Speedy sapphire sandwich winning for me! The movement always looks impressive!
    Close second place for third fox as I am a fan of 3/4 plate type mechanicals (hence current Alange obsession)!

Not to forget.

All the girls have lovely bottoms!

6-CA141-DA-F018-469-D-9495-B5-F8277-A047-F.jpg

Keep em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

caseback.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You'd buy the watch for that arse alone. I watched it live. As an infant, so I obviously don't remember, but I do thank my late parents for waking me up for it :p

Advertisement