Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I agree. The mixing and mastering is superb. A track like Alright has loads of nice layers, which we haven't really had since the early days. The last few albums were more like the live band, but this seems to be more about making a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lots of good reviews here for the album... I just briefly listened to some of the songs on YouTube and thought the songs were fairly bland tbh...maybe if I listen to them abit more, I might change my mind. What’s the no 1 song from the album in most peoples opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I agree. The mixing and mastering is superb. A track like Alright has loads of nice layers, which we haven't really had since the early days. The last few albums were more like the live band, but this seems to be more about making a record.

Like my mate said when he heard it ‘welcome back Pearl Jam! Where the fvck have you been?’ :)

LillySV wrote: »
    Lots of good reviews here for the album... I just briefly listened to some of the songs on YouTube and thought the songs were fairly bland tbh...maybe if I listen to them abit more, I might change my mind. What’s the no 1 song from the album in most peoples opinion?

I'm quite liking the Alright / Seven O'Clock segue.

Once they get the early rockers out of the way the album seems to find it's feet. Saying that I'm only halfway through.

LillySV wrote: »

So many.
    But I’d get quick escape (think breath but 2020 and even more epic)
    And seven o clock

Or the opener who ever said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Maybe I need a second listen but it seems and album of too halves for me. Upbeat / Rockers first half, slow / ballads second half.

I do like the first half and the production does sound great.

Listening again as I was working on work stuff earlier and didn't give it full attention.

Roanmore wrote: »
    Maybe I need a second listen but it seems and album of too halves for me. Upbeat / Rockers first half, slow / ballads second half.

I do like the first half and the production does sound great.

Listening again as I was working on work stuff earlier and didn't give it full attention.

Three mid paced songs on side 1 - Quick Escape, Alright, and 7 O'Clock.

Side 2 has rockers, Never Destination, Take the Long Way. I could've done without the rockers to be honest. The least interesting thing about PJ albums in the last 20 years tbh.

I’ll never love never destination or take the long way.

They feel completely out of place here. It’s bizarre they put them back to back.

Really bizarre.

Never destination isn’t so bad but the other one I just don’t know what’s even the point of it

I quite like Buckle Up. Something different at least.

I really like it on first listen. I shat out more detailed thoughts on an Irish FB fanclub page this morning, but overall I'm hopeful of this being a solid, memorable album for me. Even a great album.

They worked hard on it by the sounds of it, and my Can't Deny Fears have been proven unfounded. I love the guitar work all across the board.

• Advertisement

I really like it on first listen. I shat out more detailed thoughts on an Irish FB fanclub page this morning, but overall I'm hopeful of this being a solid, memorable album for me. Even a great album.

They worked hard on it by the sounds of it, and my Can't Deny Fears have been proven unfounded. I love the guitar work all across the board.

Stu

You’re breaking the treaty.

We’re never going to speak about *that* song ever ever again.

Runaways wrote: »
    Stu

You’re breaking the treaty.

We’re never going to speak about *that* song ever ever again.

Nooooooo! The world must know...we must remember the desperate lows so we can appreciate the highs.

You're gonna hate me now...

*******OLE********

Sorry :o

Nooooooo! The world must know...we must remember the desperate lows so we can appreciate the highs.

You're gonna hate me now...

*******OLE********

Sorry :o

That was brilliant you made me laugh out loud thank you.

But perfectly put. We need to remember the bad to truly appreciate the great.

I've listened once now. Some songs I didn't get to the end of, and didn't spend much time with the last two.

So far it feels like a 6/10 album. There was nothing that hugely made me want to go back to it again, like I *had* to hear that song again. Will see how it feels after the second listen.

Overall I like the sound of it, unlike LB. Plus I'll probably always remember where I was when I heard it for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Probably going against the grain here but I love Never Destination.
    Not gone on Take the Long Way.

The last 4 songs probably on their own are very good but for me it feels like the album is just winding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Never Destination is going to be great live

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Runaways wrote: »
    So many.
    But I’d get quick escape (think breath but 2020 and even more epic)
    And seven o clock

Or the opener who ever said

Seven O'Clock is my favourite song .

Last time I promise. But listen to this chat. Hearing Ed and Jeff talk about the shows and the exchange between the crowd and the band. You’ll get an insight you never had.
    He mentions anything can drive a show forward or sideways.
    ‘You’ll see a kid with tears in his eyes holding up a sign with a request on it and you have to.’ / ‘you’ll get smashed on the head with a coin and get angry and play the best show ever.’

Paraphrasing but it’s something else they did this. Jeff especially. treat your ears.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3kKBGHjEBvABJZdlHHyPBz?si=B9DbQ96HQ1ezRvc1S3U-sg

I'll give that a listen when I have the time.
    Do they sound like they're friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good album favourite songs for me are

River Cross
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Come Then Goes
    Take the long way
    Buckle up
    Never Destination

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I'll give that a listen when I have the time.
    Do they sound like they're friends?

More like brothers. Ed especially keeps going to Jeff for clarification or confirmation

You can tell these two are just locked in in the best way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

This album definitely growing on me... wouldn’t have minded abit more use of the distortion pedal... I know we all getting old and sensible but still... more distortion please :)

Seven O'Clock is a brilliant song. Loving the synthy strings/keyboard or whatever it is in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Have listened to the album almost three times.

It's definitely unusual to find a recent Pearl Jam album that challenges me, and I mean that in a good way.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Seven O'Clock is a brilliant song. Loving the synthy strings/keyboard or whatever it is in the background

I really like it, straight off the bat I enjoyed it. However, the chorus is a little too close to Comfortably Numb for me to call it a great Pearl Jam song. They've been playing CN live for years now, it seems to have worked its way into their original material now. Funny, cause the song starts out with strong Tom Petty + THB influences before it goes full Pink Floyd in the chorus.

fluke wrote: »
    Have listened to the album almost three times.

It's definitely unusual to find a recent Pearl Jam album that challenges me, and I mean that in a good way.

That's pretty much where I am currently and my feeling too. There is a lot going on on this album, and not in a bad 'everything but the kitchen sink' sort of way.

I felt on the last two albums, well Lightning Bolt definitely, they were only putting out an album for the sake of it and the life of the band, not quite phoning it in but getting there. With Gigaton though, I feel they made it because they had a desire to make new music and see what happens when they actually push their limits. I'm relieved, because I thought those days were long gone for the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Yeah Stu the album sort of surprised me. I kind of didn't think they could pull the rug from under me at this stage in the game.

Rumours abound there’s a part two or accompanying album on the way once the dust settles on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Christ that was painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Have had the chance to listen to the album 3 times today. Growing on me with each listen. That intro to Quick Escape though.... sweet Jesus, that is magnificent. First half of the album is stronger than second half for me at the moment. Tomorrow shall bring another couple of listens to change my mind.

Advertisement